McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Yup, as I suggested earlier, a $50K donation to the Philadelphia PBA and some compensation to the injured and it goes the way of an undisclosed out of court settlement.

WHy wouldn't the cops just have him prosecuted AND then sue him for a (settled) bundle? Why should they do him this favor after he joined in a stomping of them?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHy wouldn't the cops just have him prosecuted AND then sue him for a (settled) bundle? Why should they do him this favor after he joined in a stomping of them?

Because they'll lose in court. They have no good evidence.

He's a first time offender, and didn't instigate a fight. He has never been charged with a crime. Screams pretrial diversion. If this was you or I, I don't think anyone would be really charged.

Also - No stabbing, no guns, no serious injuries, no gang affiliation. Whats the point in pursuing that? Are you really improving your streets and safety? or are you going after a celebrity?

Lastly - there wasn't an active duty officer on scene. No police report until after - so you're going by a bunch of drunk peoples arguments. Even the witnesses were probably drunk. The bouncer's don't come in until the end so its a total crapshoot.

Edited by dneveu

Mr. WEO, on 09 Feb 2016 - 1:17 PM, said:snapback.png

"We believe the man in the red boxers who gets pulled into the ice bucket is LeSean McCoy."

Hammered a Lot, on 09 Feb 2016 - 3:49 PM, said:

Was he only wearing red boxers??

Must have been one hell of an ice bucket, too!

this pretty much sums up my feeling on the issue:

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/697157543563546624

couldn't care less whether they were off-duty officers or off-duty construction workers.

That is incredibly stupid - and misleading. Situations differ. Would I help my friend if four guys were stomping his head? Hell yes. Would I help my friend if he and two other guys were stomping somebody's head and hitting him with a champagne bottle? Hell no.

exactly, throwing the fact that they are OFF DUTY police officers is simply to make this look worse than it is, if they are off duty, they are nothing more than bar patrons at that point. Can't wait to find out that one of them is a former military person just to make it even worse for mccoy

I dont know about PA but in some states assaulting an off duty cop is a felony.

I think it does, but I don't think it should from a disciplinary standpoint. I mean, the cops were in the bar drinking like any other guys, so in a strictly-by-the-book sense they're no different.

Naturally, however, the situation will be treated differently because it involves officers of the law (regardless of in what capacity).

What if you substitute the patrons for "off duty accountants?"

Because they'll lose in court. They have no good evidence.

He's a first time offender, and didn't instigate a fight. He has never been charged with a crime. Screams pretrial diversion. If this was you or I, I don't think anyone would be really charged.

Also - No stabbing, no guns, no serious injuries, no gang affiliation. Whats the point in pursuing that? Are you really improving your streets and safety? or are you going after a celebrity?

Lastly - there wasn't an active duty officer on scene. No police report until after - so you're going by a bunch of drunk peoples arguments. Even the witnesses were probably drunk. The bouncer's don't come in until the end so its a total crapshoot.

If they would lose in court, then why would McCoy offer these guys money to settle out of court? Your logic is unconvincing.

If McCoy is so concerned that he would lose a criminal case in court that he would essentially bribe the guys not to press charges, why would he think he couldn't lose in court at a later civil case?

Edited by Mr. WEO

If they wouldn't lose in court, then why would McCoy offer these guys money to settle out of court? Your logic is unconvincing.

If McCoy is so concerned that he would lose a criminal case in court that he would essentially bribe the guys not to press charges, why would he think he couldn't lose in court at a later civil case?

Incidentally, it is illegal to pay someone off in order to avoid criminal charges. It certainly happens regularly where there is a monied party involved in something like this, but it has to be done quietly. The fact that these guys are cops might be a problem there.

If they would lose in court, then why would McCoy offer these guys money to settle out of court? Your logic is unconvincing.

What i meant to say is - the prosecutor will pursue a deal in court. Not that the victims wouldn't press criminal charges. I just don't see why this would require a trial. His lawyer will want to settle for probation, a possible fine, and community

Does it sound like something where we need to take him off the streets? Or would his contributing to the community likely benefit more than putting him in prison for 30 days or whatever?

The victims would then pursue a civil case - which would be settled with $$.

Edited by dneveu

i see shady throwing at least one haymaker punch in the melee.

he gets pulled off, but goes back in for more.

he gets pulled off again, held back, directly looks towards someones phone videoing the fight, he calms down.

he is in a heap chit of trouble.

after looking at it a couple more times.......when he goes back in for more, shady kicks someone who is on the ground.

as far as the red shorts goes, he has pants on , but they are half way down his azz, exposing a checkered pattern red boxer briefs.

I am sorry, after what I saw I would cut the RB right away. I'd rather lose 20 Superbowls rather than support someone like this. Kids look up to these stars and they need to realize it.

He should have walked away. At the end of the day, he should have acted a lot more professionally. It's a bottle of buzz for crying out loud. You're a public figure!

Maybe? The guy that they flag with a "ching" throws a punch. He looks too, ehrm, heavy set in the waist and bottom to be McCoy? The guy's face you can see over the man in brown's shoulder is def. McCoy. The police (per TMZ) assert the guy who gets pulled back into the ice bucket is McCoy - but is that the same guy who throws a punch? Expert witness, frame by frame time. It's clear McCoy isn't standing back from the action.

OK, that's cool. We can agree to disagree. Let me just ask you this: what if the victim's claims don't match the employee testimony and patron witnesses tell different accounts? What are the facts then?

I think you don't understand how memory works and how unreliable eyewitness testimony has been found to be. What people believe they saw is not necessarily a fact. It is influenced by many things.

If you're interested in learning something, here for a start.

No one I've seen is arguing that the aggrieved party has the right to "stomp the living daylights" or that one party isn't more wrong. I don't see what your point is with that.

What's telling is that an arrest warrant was issued so quickly. That lends me to believe that there is plenty of corroborating witness statements. If the case was muddled and there was a lot of conflicting testimony the investigation would take much longer. If almost everyone is giving the same accounts (my speculation) then that would lend me to believe that what happened is clear to the police after they interviewed the parties involved and the witnesses in the establishment, including the employees.

Let's look at the scenario. This is a membership club. So for the most part everyone is known by everyone else, at least from a casual acquaintance standpoint. McCoy is a prominent Philly athlete who probably was known by everyone or almost everyone in the club. So when an argument happened that included McCoy almost everyone in the establishment knew that he was involved. I don't believe that this is the type of club situation where an argument happens in one area of the club and others in the other area don't know what is happening.

I haven't seen any film regarding the brawl. So I can't comment on that. Let the process run and the facts come out. I'm very comfortable with my inclinations on this case (which I haven't stated). My recommendation to McCoy is to get the best attorney money can buy because he is in a serious legal bind and his career may also be in jeopardy.

Edited by JohnC