McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Good point about Hardy. That said, Hardy also sat out a full season!

True--though that was grey-area stuff due to the commissioner's exemption list...I'd have to look, but I feel like they made it clear at the time that his (and AP's) suspension was mutually exclusive from time already served.

EDIT: turns out that's correct...the exemption list is not considered discipline:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/nfl-on-greg-hardy-he-cant-be-reinstated-because-he-has-yet-to-be-disciplined/

yeah, pretty bad.

But ... cops. It matters.

It does matter who the victim is, though I believe in the opposite direction. Getting in a bar fight with grown men, let alone those with at least some level of skilled combat training, is a far cry from a male pro athlete decking a woman.

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True--though that was grey-area stuff due to the commissioner's exemption list...I'd have to look, but I feel like they made it clear at the time that his (and AP's) suspension was mutually exclusive from time already served.

It does matter who the victim is, though I believe in the opposite direction. Getting in a bar fight with grown men, let alone those with at least some level of skilled combat training, is a far cry from a male pro athlete decking a woman.

Agree here, but I think the guys being cops does make this worse than average guys.

Agree here, but I think the guys being cops does make this worse than average guys.

I think it does, but I don't think it should from a disciplinary standpoint. I mean, the cops were in the bar drinking like any other guys, so in a strictly-by-the-book sense they're no different.

Naturally, however, the situation will be treated differently because it involves officers of the law (regardless of in what capacity).

The NFL does not suspend base on law, they suspend based on PR consequences.

Hitting an average joe, not good PR

Hitting a police officer (Off duty or not), really bad PR.

I think it does, but I don't think it should from a disciplinary standpoint. I mean, the cops were in the bar drinking like any other guys, so in a strictly-by-the-book sense they're no different.

Naturally, however, the situation will be treated differently because it involves officers of the law (regardless of in what capacity).

It shouldn't, but that's the NFL for ya. The video of Ray Rice shouldn't have changed anything either.

The NFL does not suspend base on law, they suspend based on PR consequences.

Hitting an average joe, not good PR

Hitting a police officer (Off duty or not), really bad PR.

Basically what I was trying to say.

yeah, pretty bad.

But ... cops. It matters.

I guess...? i watched both of the videos. I saw him throw a single punch - then get pulled out by one of his buddies.

I get the he needs to not put himself in this position argument to a point. But to say that a young guy with money can't go to the club with his friends from college is a little bit unfair. It's clear he was drunk in the videos that seemed to point him out. It was also kind of clear that he threw at least 1 punch. If that's him - he was the first person pulled out of the brawl.

This will probably be resolved by lawyers and never see anything resembling a trial. Nobody was killed - and Shady has the money to shut these guys up.

If they decide to make an example of him - they have their hands full since it will be he said he said. The video wouldn't stand up in court, and no one wants to go to court to testify in a bar room brawl case where no one was shot and no one sustained any major injuries. "I saw a bunch of guys punching a bunch of other guys" "Lesean Mccoy was at the bar".

I guess...? i watched both of the videos. I saw him throw a single punch - then get pulled out by one of his buddies.

I get the he needs to not put himself in this position argument to a point. But to say that a young guy with money can't go to the club with his friends from college is a little bit unfair. It's clear he was drunk in the videos that seemed to point him out. It was also kind of clear that he threw at least 1 punch. If that's him - he was the first person pulled out of the brawl.

This will probably be resolved by lawyers and never see anything resembling a trial. Nobody was killed - and Shady has the money to shut these guys up.

If they decide to make an example of him - they have their hands full since it will be he said he said. The video wouldn't stand up in court, and no one wants to go to court to testify in a bar room brawl case where no one was shot and no one sustained any major injuries. "I saw a bunch of guys punching a bunch of other guys" "Lesean Mccoy was at the bar".

Yup, as I suggested earlier, a $50K donation to the Philadelphia PBA and some compensation to the injured and it goes the way of an undisclosed out of court settlement.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

One punch too many.

Still think he should be traded. He is pimple waiting to burst. His history speaks for itself and he has no one to blame but himself. Reminds me of Lynch. Above the law.

No point trading that which now has no value. Only thing now is to wait and see how bad the NFL punishment is. My guess is he plays with a chip on his shoulder after this, but you never know.