what is this

dib

It's not as bad as it used to be. During the peak of the RE boom here in CA in the mid 2000's I was seeing people getting $10k plus refunds and blowing it all as if it just fell into their lap. Dumbasses!

As soon as I'd see those kinds of refunds I knew immediately they had more house than their paychecks could support.

It is just people giving a interest free loan to the government which is not as bad as it used to be for these days we are giving interest free (almost) loans to banks now called savings accounts.

Yes the difference is the banks give you your money back anytime you ask. The government makes you fill out a form and you can't fill it out until the beginning of the year and have to get it to them by the 15th of April.

Yes the difference is the banks give you your money back anytime you ask. The government makes you fill out a form and you can't fill it out until the beginning of the year and have to get it to them by the 15th of April.

No banks do NOT ALWAYS give it back whenever you ask. We had a large amount of money in Discovery Bank which only has online banking; we could not log in one day and called and found out our online bank access was "closed" and they could not explain why - there were no usual notations on account (i.e. death, customer request, etc) and they could not explain WHY it was closed. Their suggestion was to open a new online account and after it was approved we could get access to our money; we told them since our account was closed without our consent we wished for the money to be wired to another bank and they refused and would only mail a check (regular mail) and when we asked what happens if check never arrives they said they would need to "investigate it" and put funds on hold. We finally decided to open a new account and in only transaction we transferred all of the money out of our account. We got multiple messages from bank asking why we were unhappy with their service

No banks do NOT ALWAYS give it back whenever you ask. We had a large amount of money in Discovery Bank which only has online banking; we could not log in one day and called and found out our online bank access was "closed" and they could not explain why - there were no usual notations on account (i.e. death, customer request, etc) and they could not explain WHY it was closed. Their suggestion was to open a new online account and after it was approved we could get access to our money; we told them since our account was closed without our consent we wished for the money to be wired to another bank and they refused and would only mail a check (regular mail) and when we asked what happens if check never arrives they said they would need to "investigate it" and put funds on hold. We finally decided to open a new account and in only transaction we transferred all of the money out of our account. We got multiple messages from bank asking why we were unhappy with their service

Sure they do. In your case you wanted your money and they offered to mail you a check.

Sure they do. In your case you wanted your money and they offered to mail you a check.

A check with no guarantee for it to arrive; they offered a check not the money (several items including annual form for IRS never arrived in previous years) and only way I could guarantee it was to open a new online account. That account is still open with $0 just so they need to have to do paperwork now for no gain.