This superbowl sucked? Really? Wow! Silly me!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also thought it was a good football game and was surprised to hear people talking about it as some sort of dud. I thoroughly enjoy defensive battles. Always have. I mean, you just got to see a top 5 all time defense dominate one of the better offenses in recent memory. It was quite spectacular actually. Counterpoint would be that Cam was off and I get that. If he hits some of those throws he usually makes, it's a different game.

Huh?

Anyway, this was a great game....if the year was 1935. One offensive TD until late in the 4th Q. The winning team punted 8 times (17 times in the past 2 weeks). They couldn't pass, they couldn't run. They were 1-14 on third downs! They had only 11 first downs all day (2 as a result of penalties).

This would be a bad Thursday Night Football game in September.

As for the refs, the clearly screwed the Panthers on that first challenge on the catch. Everyone on the planet watching the replay could see that the ball never touched the ground---except the boys back in New York. Instead---call stands, lose a TO, lose a challenge....and then sack/fumble/TD and the game changed irreversibly from there.

When you are watching a game as a third-party disinterested observer, I think you want a lot more offensive excitement.

I'm even more than a 3rd-party disinterested observer -- I love football (and defense) as much as anybody -- but 4/29 on 3rd down, 31/64 passing for 0 TDs/2 INTs, and 18 penalties don't make for an "entertaining" game.

I think some are suggesting that the intellectual "lovers of the game" have a deeper appreciation for a boring slugfest that the rest of us boors can't comprehend.

It wasn't a beautiful game but it was a good intriguing game. Cam came out of the shoot firing high and he missed high all game. Denver less than 150 yards offense...but, how that Denver defense took Carolina out of their game. I am still surprised that they didn't quickly start rolling Cam out on most passing plays. Almost seems like they/he wanted to prove that he could win from the pocket against a very aggressive and very well schemed defense.

It wasn't a beautiful game but it was a good intriguing game. Cam came out of the shoot firing high and he missed high all game. Denver less than 150 yards offense...but, how that Denver defense took Carolina out of their game. I am still surprised that they didn't quickly start rolling Cam out on most passing plays. Almost seems like they/he wanted to prove that he could win from the pocket against a very aggressive and very well schemed defense.

Shula failed miserably. At halftime he should have adjusted to a read option attack that had Cam running most of the time.

And by the way, the reason the game wasn't "intriguing" for me was because there wasn't a moment during which I thought either team could mount a lengthy drive.

Edited by eball

Agreed, I thought it was a snoozefest as well.

Then again, I had no rooting interest (positive or negative) in this game. With NE* and Seattle participating in the last few games, I always had a team to root against (although it sucked that last year, both teams couldn't lose).

Honestly I'm tired of seeing the same damn teams from the AFC make it each and every year. It's always either NE*, DEN, PIT, IND, or BAL.

I'm even more than a 3rd-party disinterested observer -- I love football (and defense) as much as anybody -- but 4/29 on 3rd down, 31/64 passing for 0 TDs/2 INTs, and 18 penalties don't make for an "entertaining" game.

I think some are suggesting that the intellectual "lovers of the game" have a deeper appreciation for a boring slugfest that the rest of us boors can't comprehend.

If you mean me, I don't -and apologize for any inference. I saw it as a mugging. Both Defenses just mugged their opponent. Not pretty at all, but its what got the Broncos to the game.

Watching it, I thought back to our AFC Championship game vs Denver. At least in our game, both offense moved the ball fairly well, but jus couldn't score. Our lone TD came on a Pick-6 off a center-screen and Treadwell boinked 3 FG's off the post. Kubiak replaced Elway and created a spark. They scored a late and TD and I was very worried they were gonna score again very late causing either OT or a loss. That is, until Kirby Jackson (the Other Kirby Jackson) stole the ball from a WR..

Sunday's game was a 1930ish brawl

I loved yesterday's Superbowl. Fantastic, hard-hitting, tight, well-fought game, nothing too out of control or dirty, overall the Zebras did their job but didn't try to decide the game. Great storyline - aging "sheriff" facing brash young gunslinger, epic defensive battle, in reach for both teams almost until the end.

Well, silly me - it seems this superbowl sucked!

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/why_you_hated_the_super_bowl_this_year.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/super_bowl_50_was_a_terrible_game_here_is_a_video_of_the_10_saddest_plays.html

Apparently it was a "stinker", a "“a grim, joyless, maddeningly ugly football game".

Really?

I enjoyed it more than I can remember enjoying a championship game. Two years ago beatdown of the Broncos by the Seahawks, now that was dullsville.

Last year, well, that was the Patriots, naturally I couldn't enjoy it especially with the horrible playcall at the end.

I guess I just watch football differently.

It wasn't an awful game at all, no one to root for or against but it was a good game

I was just saying the same thing, it was truly a defensive battle, and I liked that. I can see why my girlfriend and other casual fans would be bored, but if you're doing it right you're at a party with lotsa food and drink. So it can't be that bad!

Where on earth do you get this? Inferiority complex much?

When you are watching a game as a third-party disinterested observer, I think you want a lot more offensive excitement.

I'm sure that's the place those quoted in the links are coming from. And maybe that's the majority view.

I guess it just goes to show people watch football in different ways from different places.

Edited by Hopeful

I loved yesterday's Superbowl. Fantastic, hard-hitting, tight, well-fought game, nothing too out of control or dirty, overall the Zebras did their job but didn't try to decide the game. Great storyline - aging "sheriff" facing brash young gunslinger, epic defensive battle, in reach for both teams almost until the end.

Well, silly me - it seems this superbowl sucked!

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/why_you_hated_the_super_bowl_this_year.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/super_bowl_50_was_a_terrible_game_here_is_a_video_of_the_10_saddest_plays.html

Apparently it was a "stinker", a "“a grim, joyless, maddeningly ugly football game".

Really?

I enjoyed it more than I can remember enjoying a championship game. Two years ago beatdown of the Broncos by the Seahawks, now that was dullsville.

Last year, well, that was the Patriots, naturally I couldn't enjoy it especially with the horrible playcall at the end.

I guess I just watch football differently.

I enjoyed this game a lot more then the seattle beat down. it was hard fought defensive game. I am young but I still appreciate defensive contests like this super bowl. idk how u cud find it boring when both defenses made big plays each series that stopped the offenses from cruising down the field into the endzone. the people who wrote those articles sound like spoiled bandwagon NFL fans. NE vs Seattle was a great game too. I would even say a better game but this one meant more to me cuz of Peytons last game. and Brady no where in sight.

Where on earth do you get this?

My comment was a bit over the top but I think it's implicit. The message seems to be that the unwashed masses only want big plays and TDs, and if you can't enjoy a defensive battle you don't really appreciate the game.

This game was "suspenseful" in that nobody could score so it was close to the end -- and I appreciate that -- but it wasn't "beautiful" to watch both teams fail on 86% of 3rd down opportunities. It was a combination of great defense and some really inept offense.

As I said up thread, the game had very little intrigue after halftime because neither team gave evidence of being able to move the ball and score if it really mattered.

Ha - good post!

This immediately qualifies as a leading candidate for understatement of the year. :lol:

Say what you will about the Pats, but when they're in the SB, you're pretty much guaranteed a great game.