Cam's last fumble...

Big Turk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg McElroy had some strong words about it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/greg_mcelroy_says_cam_newton_q.html

"What I have issues with is the way he did not jump on the fumble after he dropped the ball -- and I know he was getting beat up all game -- but he jumped away from the ball when the ball's on the ground. I have never not one time in my life seen a player do that, especially a quarterback. And you know what? His teammates will look at him a little different after that, especially his teammates on the defensive side of the football."

"You can say what you want. The postgame press conference didn't bother me -- it really didn't -- because I think the media has a certain level of self-importance, especially when it comes to the Super Bowl. But I have big issues with the way he did not jump on the football."

"...It has everything to do with the fact that I think he quit on his team, and it was most evident by the way he did not jump on the football."

Greg McElroy must be an authority on fumbling.

The last shot I saw of the play, it looked like a Denver lineman maybe had only an arm on it and if Cam had dove down with his body on it he easily could have taken it away from whoever had his arm on it. I may have seen it incorrectly however, IMO, at that point in the game, it was clear that if Denver recovered the fumble, they were SB champs. That was the play that basically ended Carolina's season-long journey for a championship. Therefore, even if a 300-pound lineman has pounced his entire body completely on top of it you still dive and go after the ball.

yes. do something you confused idiot. Should be a natural reaction to recover that ball with all your Superman skills.

btw i did not watch much of the game. I saw his body language in the first half after getting the fear of god upon him via Broncos D and knew enough.

kitty. hope he learns. Pretty darned good team in Carolina

Helmet headed straight for his lower leg. If he stays standing there he gets a nasty bone bruise or worse. Should have dove immediately I agree. I heard Dilfer say QB's are taught to not stick their hands/arms into piles.

Drew Brees injured his shoulder badly with the Chargers doing just that. I think he still should have done it given the magnitude of the moment.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Helmet headed straight for his lower leg. If he stays standing there he gets a nasty bone bruise or worse. Should have dove immediately I agree. I heard Dilfer say QB's are taught to not stick their hands/arms into piles.

Nope. Look at the small GIF in this article

http://deadspin.com/ron-rivera-has-cam-newtons-back-on-that-loose-ball-1758016610?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

right next to the heading "Cam Newton Wanted No Part Of That Game Sealing Fumble", it's clear.

He probably wouldn't have even been hurt. The guy was falling, and reaching out with his arm, his helmet wasn't moving very fast, it wasn't directed at Newton's knee, and he was more interested in getting the ball, than going for Newton's knee.

Cam admits he didn't go for it because he was afraid of getting hurt in the Super Bowl. Rough look.

Joe Person @josephperson 2h2 hours ago

Cam: "I don't dive on 1 fumble because the way my leg was-- it could have been (contorted) in a way. OK, you say my effort. I didn't dive...

Joe Person @josephperson 2h2 hours ago

"...down. I fumbled. That's fine. But we didn't lose that game because of that fumble. I can tell you that" -- Cam

This kid's rise and fall have been equally meteoric.

Wow! he admits that he is B!tc#. You sure as hell lost the game there Cam, you get the ball back you go down and score it's a whole new ball game.

Just wondering, does anyone have any footage of Peyton, or Brady diving into a scrum after a fumble?

I have tried to google it but have only come up with videos of manning standing around after a fumble while others dive and try to recover. Its not that common to see a QB, who are usually told to stay safe and not do something to get injured (exactly why they are told to slide when anyone gets near them if they scramble).

So Peyton manning is the poster boy for sportsmanship, even though he left the field not shaking any of the winning teams hands after they lost to the Saints, because atleast he stood there and talked to the press after
Newton is a sore loser cause he shook the winners hands but walked out of a press conference after only a few questions after a loss

Cam doesn't dive into a scrum with o-linemen for a fumble and he is a bad teammate and only cares about himself, and also a P***Y

Peyton and many other QBs stand around after fumbles as they are also told not to do anything stupid where they could get hurt and nothing is said about them

Everyone cries that the NFL has become the "No Fun League" because they give penalties for guys celebrating and having fun on the field, then when Cam and his team have fun on the field and celebrate they "should act like they have been there before" and just hand the ball over to a ref after scoring

Yup, this all makes sense.......

Just wondering, does anyone have any footage of Peyton, or Brady diving into a scrum after a fumble?

I have tried to google it but have only come up with videos of manning standing around after a fumble while others dive and try to recover. Its not that common to see a QB, who are usually told to stay safe and not do something to get injured (exactly why they are told to slide when anyone gets near them if they scramble).

So Peyton manning is the poster boy for sportsmanship, even though he left the field not shaking any of the winning teams hands after they lost to the Saints, because atleast he stood there and talked to the press after

Newton is a sore loser cause he shook the winners hands but walked out of a press conference after only a few questions after a loss

Cam doesn't dive into a scrum with o-linemen for a fumble and he is a bad teammate and only cares about himself, and also a P***Y

Peyton and many other QBs stand around after fumbles as they are also told not to do anything stupid where they could get hurt and nothing is said about them

Everyone cries that the NFL has become the "No Fun League" because they give penalties for guys celebrating and having fun on the field, then when Cam and his team have fun on the field and celebrate they "should act like they have been there before" and just hand the ball over to a ref after scoring

1 score game in the Super Bowl with 4 minutes to go is much different from a random regular season game.

Edited by FireChan

So, you are a big Cam fan. Which is fine. I just hope he learns from this season. For the most part I like Cam too. But, he does talk out of both sides of his mouth, acts like a child and needs to think before he reacts and talks. Otherwise situations will arise and hinder him in the long run.

One that comes to mind that was silly and childish was when Cam took a sign from a fan during a game and then afterwards said its unacceptable to have signs for the other team in his house? Really?

You lost some money, didn't you?

It was Orton-esque.

Two things come to mind:

Dan Marino sprinting to the sideline after an interception (or laying down in the fetal position).

and

RGIII being heroic in the playoff game and essentially ending his career.

If I was a Panthers fan, I'd like to see him try, but as a disinterested observer, I understand completely.

Two things come to mind:

Dan Marino sprinting to the sideline after an interception (or laying down in the fetal position).

and

RGIII being heroic in the playoff game and essentially ending his career.

If I was a Panthers fan, I'd like to see him try, but as a disinterested observer, I understand completely.

RG3 went back in after getting hurt. Not even remotely comparable.

Greg McElroy had some strong words about it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/greg_mcelroy_says_cam_newton_q.html

"What I have issues with is the way he did not jump on the fumble after he dropped the ball -- and I know he was getting beat up all game -- but he jumped away from the ball when the ball's on the ground. I have never not one time in my life seen a player do that, especially a quarterback. And you know what? His teammates will look at him a little different after that, especially his teammates on the defensive side of the football."

"You can say what you want. The postgame press conference didn't bother me -- it really didn't -- because I think the media has a certain level of self-importance, especially when it comes to the Super Bowl. But I have big issues with the way he did not jump on the football."

"...It has everything to do with the fact that I think he quit on his team, and it was most evident by the way he did not jump on the football."

Looks like McElroy is auditioning to become the next Trent Dilfer - mediocre QB, world-class opinion, TV personality.