Goldman Sachs questioning efficacy of capitalism

What don't you get about corporate profit margins??? Revenue less corporate expenses = corporate profit margin. Its first day stuff, dude. I know, I've been working for the corporate office of a corporation. Our motto is margin growth.

Oh, that corporate profit. Silly me.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but in most cases, the little guys getting hurt are the ones who overextended themselves. My mom is 71 years old and I can safely say that she has not lost a penny in the stock market, has never purchased something she couldn`t afford or gotten caught up in any of the hype.

The little guys getting hurt are generally the ones who get caught up in whatever hype, trend, etc.

The little guy suffered the most in the last financial meltdown because they weren't participating in the market. The little guy, wary of the dot com bubble and years of market stagnation, invested in tangible assets like real estate which were perceived to be less risky up until the moment that the music stopped. After the housing market crash, the middle and lower classes who had a disproportionate amount of their net wealth tied up in home equity were crushed. The rich were also hit hard by the real estate collapse but they had a greater portion of their wealth in stocks and other investments and subsequently benefited from the rebound in capital markets while the average person missed out on the rebound.

Oh goodie, Matt Taibbi's view on finance. Do you think it's an unbiased piece that presents things factually?

of course he puts his slant, but the facts about the sec whistle blower are facts--they--the SEC-- destroyed docs. Some watch dog...

What don't you get about corporate profit margins??? Revenue less corporate expenses = corporate profit margin. Its first day stuff, dude. I know, I've been working for the corporate office of a corporation. Our motto is margin growth.

i think his original point was "which one?" Gross margin? Net margin? Or a cash flow measure? There are a lot of options.

of course he puts his slant, but the facts about the sec whistle blower are facts--they--the SEC-- destroyed docs. Some watch dog...

i think his original point was "which one?" Gross margin? Net margin? Or a cash flow measure? There are a lot of options.

Yeah, I got that. Thought it was clear that I was being facetious especially when offering up a definition which includes the catch all "corporate expense" to arrive at corporate profit margin.

Yeah, I got that. Thought it was clear that I was being facetious especially when offering up a definition which includes the catch all "corporate expense" to arrive at corporate profit margin.

I'm a little rusty. I was a little scarce around here last year. I chuckled as I re-read it.

He needed Taibbi to explain it

When did Taibbi become an expert on finance, anyway? His background is in Russian literature and sports, for Christ's sake.

he's a good rabble rouser and writer. Did you ever read the weekly he started in buffalo after he moved back from Russia? They did some pretty funny stuff.

When did Taibbi become an expert on finance, anyway? His background is in Russian literature and sports, for Christ's sake.

To me that's like saying if you're not part of organized crime you can't criticize organized crime because you are not an expert on organize crime.

To me that's like saying if you're not part of organized crime you can't criticize organized crime because you are not an expert on organize crime.

Or basically just criticizing someone when you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, similar to what you usually do.

Of course, the correct analogy would be more along the lines of "If you're not part of organized crime, and don't know anything about organized crime, and have a background in viticulture, you shouldn't be considered an expert on organized crime."

But you're a complete idiot, so why would you bother using the correct analogy?

you're overcharging your clients if you can afford to pay Hillary 675K

So that's what you base that on? Is everything in your life that simplistic?

Of course, the correct analogy would be more along the lines of "If you're not part of organized crime, and don't know anything about organized crime, and have a background in viticulture, you shouldn't be considered an expert on organized crime."

But you're a complete idiot, so why would you bother using the correct analogy?

I'm not so sure I agree with this.

Organized crime=Italians=wine=viniculture!

So that's what you base that on? Is everything in your life that simplistic?

I'm not so sure I agree with this.

Organized crime=Italians=wine=viniculture!

Organized crime is also the Irish, Russians, Japanese...

And viniculture is French.