Source: Colin Kaepernick wants out of SF, in with J-e-t-s

YoloinOhio

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff on his $. So they can just cut him prior to April 1 and they owe him nothing and only have about 4m or so in dead cap space? That's some contract.

Yeah I hope more teams structure QB's contracts like this one. Nothing like strapping your cap for Tannehill/Kap/Dalton.

If Tyrod has another solid year I hope the front office constructs something similar. He will have a ton of leverage if he plays out the whole year so who knows.

Yeah I hope more teams structure QB's contracts like this one. Nothing like strapping your cap for Tannehill/Kap/Dalton.

If Tyrod has another solid year I hope the front office constructs something similar. He will have a ton of leverage if he plays out the whole year so who knows.

Assuming he plays well. I hope Roman throws the whole playbook at him so we can see whether he has what it takes or not.

Interesting stuff on his $. So they can just cut him prior to April 1 and they owe him nothing and only have about 4m or so in dead cap space? That's some contract.

Read up on it because I think it is what we will be looking at for TT. Basically the 1st 3 years he gets his salary and like a $12M signing bonus. Year 4 his other guaranteed money kicks in (spread over the last 3 years). It's a great way to structure a deal for a guy that you want more time to figure out.

Kap is still young, he has displayed all the physical traits of being a long term starter at one point or another. I guess I'm the only one who thinks it would be a good landing spot to resurrect a once promising career? Odd.

Yeah, I'm surprised at all of the poo pooing going on here.

Assuming he plays well. I hope Roman throws the whole playbook at him so we can see whether he has what it takes or not.

Yep. Even if he does I'd put him in the same class as the QB's I mentioned above. None of them have convinced me they can win with their skill set when it matters.

If he starts off hot for the first 8 games or so I would draft up an incentive laden deal while the team still has some semblance of leverage. Mediocre QB's are a caps nightmare, not good enough to carry the roster but just good enough to absorb $$$$ and restrict your 53.

Read up on it because I think it is what we will be looking at for TT. Basically the 1st 3 years he gets his salary and like a $12M signing bonus. Year 4 his other guaranteed money kicks in (spread over the last 3 years). It's a great way to structure a deal for a guy that you want more time to figure out.

From a team perspective that's true.

The alternative for a guy like kaepernick was lower salary but higher guarantees.... It's an interesting spot.

Would you rather 5 for 100m but mostly year to year or 5 for 80 but be tied to the guy deeper into the deal?

Would they need to pay both him and Fitz? Fitzy going to get about 8mill/year I saw, that's a lot for 2 QBs. Two not so great QBs.

I think this is random speculation. Mehta cites unnamed "sources" that Kaep wants out and would prefer the Jets. Could be casual conversation. No indication of interest on the Jets side.

That said, my thinking is if they did go for him, they would need to let Fitz move on. Which makes me smile, actually, because there is now a multiyear, multiteam pattern of "teams moving on from Fitzpatrick but failing signally to replace him with anyone better".

If I'm the Jets I would go with Kap > Fitz. Kap is young and took a team to the SB. Fitzy's ceiling was probably what they saw last year. Neither is great right now , but if I had to choose I take the one with upside who has shown more promise.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The alternative for a guy like kaepernick was lower salary but higher guarantees.... It's an interesting spot.

Would you rather 5 for 100m but mostly year to year or 5 for 80 but be tied to the guy deeper into the deal?

I like what they did. Open up the vault > just make the player earn it. Very few QB's have shown the ability to reap the benefits of a contract like Kaps.

He was overly confident and his agent was foolish IMO. The player pays his agent to avoid making these kinds of mistakes. He should have been able to stroke Kap's ego in private and negotiate a deal similar to Tannehill's/Dalton's.