Desert Vista female students - should they be expelled?

Saw a newspiece on this situation at the gym this morning. If you don't know the story they posted an Instagram picture with the "n" word spelled out across their shirts. (None of them is African American). The story has caused heightened dialogue around the use of the word in any manner. There are also extreme threats being issued towards the girls and their families.

So my position is clear, what they did was absolutely wrong. However, I do not see it as an issue where individuals outside their school system and families need to determine punishment. Their actions were wrong but the response directed at them personally in the form of threats is equally as wrong. I have no place in the decision making process.

Racism is an ugly scar on human existence but we will hardly overcome it through polarized rhetoric and further expressions of ignorance.

The whole situation at this school is sad. It's tough when the immature and perhaps stupid actions of a group of kids becomes a national event because of the exposure created on the Internet and in the media.

What do you think?

I think you're being a drama queen if you think that was "absolutely wrong." Particularly when you mention in the next sentence they're receiving "extreme threats," which I personally think is relatively more wrong than bad words.

Other than that, I don't care. Stupid's gonna stupid.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? They already ban "niggardly" because it sounds like "!@#$" (but has absolutely no relation to the word otherwise.)

You're right about that - a local city official in Austin lost his job for using the word 'niggardly' during a council meeting.

I didn't know the story until you posted this, but I looked it up, and quite honestly that is gatorman-level stupidity right there.

They will get what they deserve without anyone having to take extra actions...let alone counseling.

Counseling? Really? Please. Grow up already.

I saw the picture and that's about it. I have not seen why they did this. They may not have done this in a derogatory manner at all. They may have thought it was cool . Just as some well to do white kids think it's cool to dress like a thug and listen to hard core rap.

Why does the school need to get involved?

#microaggressions

In the photos I've seen, the two girls in the middle had * (asterisks) on their shirts. So technically, they didn't even spell out the dreaded "N" word.

Maybe they're fans of Danish pixies. (Nisser).

OK, probably not.

But films like "The 40-Year old Virgin" have scenes where they scream the N-word about 20 times in 30 seconds. Rappers have 1000's of nasty lyrics using the word. But all that's cool because they're actors/musicians and make lots of money. Or because it's "Art", and their freedom of expression is more important than other people's.

Or something.

Yup, I'm so extreme that I think our schools should counsel children on racism. What a crazy SoProg agenda.

You're not extreme. You're just not thinking for yourself. Which is why you're a SoProg.

Here's the thing: we don't send our kids to school so they get counseling about racism. If the child is doing something stupid like the kids in this story, you turn them over to their parents.

You're not extreme. You're just not thinking for yourself. Which is why you're a SoProg.

Here's the thing: we don't send our kids to school so they get counseling about racism. If the child is doing something stupid like the kids in this story, you turn them over to their parents.

Oh, Come on LA. Turn them over to their parents? Everyone knows that it takes a village.

Yup, I'm so extreme that I think our schools should counsel children on racism. What a crazy SoProg agenda.

You honestly believe that sitting down with a Mr. Garrison type will have an impact?

Honestly?

Are you trying to solve a problem, or are you trying to make yourself feel better?

Except that the traditional family structure is slavery. And kids should have the right to sue in court to overturn parental discipline. [/Hillary]

(Yes, she actually argued that.)

Why not? They already ban "niggardly" because it sounds like "!@#$" (but has absolutely no relation to the word otherwise.)

Every once in awhile when I want to have a little fun and shock someone I'll use the word "niggardly" and wait for the reaction. It gets the young ones every time.

Except that the traditional family structure is slavery. And kids should have the right to sue in court to overturn parental discipline. [/Hillary]

(Yes, she actually argued that.)

I'd love to see a list of cases she's argued for or against.