Desert Vista female students - should they be expelled?

Saw a newspiece on this situation at the gym this morning. If you don't know the story they posted an Instagram picture with the "n" word spelled out across their shirts. (None of them is African American). The story has caused heightened dialogue around the use of the word in any manner. There are also extreme threats being issued towards the girls and their families.

So my position is clear, what they did was absolutely wrong. However, I do not see it as an issue where individuals outside their school system and families need to determine punishment. Their actions were wrong but the response directed at them personally in the form of threats is equally as wrong. I have no place in the decision making process.

Racism is an ugly scar on human existence but we will hardly overcome it through polarized rhetoric and further expressions of ignorance.

The whole situation at this school is sad. It's tough when the immature and perhaps stupid actions of a group of kids becomes a national event because of the exposure created on the Internet and in the media.

What do you think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be better off being discussed in the dungeons of PPP, simply because it'll get a more honest conversation started.

That said, I think what the girls did is in poor taste and truly classless. They have their right to free speech, but that doesn't mean their speech doesn't have consequences. They chose to wear the shirts, take the picture, and post it online for the world to see. In that sense, college kids or not, they deserve the pummeling they're getting in the forum of public opinion.

But in a bigger sense, I think we're living in an age of mob justice -- which is dangerously becoming the norm. Emotional reaction is trumping rational discussion on a number of topics, none more so than the righteous indignation of the politically correct crowd. Any slight, any perceived slight even, brings about a maelstrom of social media led outrage which drowns out any real discussion and forms opinions based on emotional outrage rather than the actual facts of the matter. This is a dangerous precedent.

That said, in this specific case, the girls are morons who did a hateful thing and deserve a good verbal smack on the back of the head in response.

I think this would be better off being discussed in the dungeons of PPP, simply because it'll get a more honest conversation started.

That said, I think what the girls did is in poor taste and truly classless. They have their right to free speech, but that doesn't mean their speech doesn't have consequences. They chose to wear the shirts, take the picture, and post it online for the world to see. In that sense, college kids or not, they deserve the pummeling they're getting in the forum of public opinion.

But in a bigger sense, I think we're living in an age of mob justice -- which is dangerously becoming the norm. Emotional reaction is trumping rational discussion on a number of topics, none more so than the righteous indignation of the politically correct crowd. Any slight, any perceived slight even, brings about a maelstrom of social media led outrage which drowns out any real discussion and forms opinions based on emotional outrage rather than the actual facts of the matter. This is a dangerous precedent.

That said, in this specific case, the girls are morons who did a hateful thing and deserve a good verbal smack on the back of the head in response.

Well said.

Their 1st ammendment right needs to be respected.

I once heard good advice when I was younger "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

The first ammendment doesn't prevent them from being idiots, and as stated earlier good luck getting a company to hire you now.

I might not agree what you have to say, but I will fight for your right to say it. If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in someone saying the worst thing you could hear. Freedom of speech is not "say whatever you want, as long as I agree with it". I believe in freedom

Becoming? What's it like in 2012? Mitt really has a shot this time!

They are constitutionally guaranteed their freedom of expression, as are those who would express their reaction to what those girls have done. They deserve any and all ostracizing they get, from within their school system or without.

As an aside, being anti-racism isn't the same as being PC. Most of the modern PC movement is focused on things like perceived slights and micro-aggressions, and is largely idiotic. Racism is hatred, and is much more serious, and much more ignorant.

They are constitutionally guaranteed their freedom of expression, as are those who would express their reaction to what those girls have done. They deserve any and all ostracizing they get, from within their school system or without.

As an aside, being anti-racism isn't the same as being PC. Most of the modern PC movement is focused on things like perceived slights and micro-aggressions, and is largely idiotic. Racism is hatred, and is much more serious, and much more ignorant.

By constantly screaming racism at everything they are devaluing the real meaning of the word and the actions associated behind it.

Anybody check the carpets?

They might just be red heads that misspelt GINGERS

Dyslexic racists?

I laugh now, but one day the wrong people will realize that 'ginger' is an anagram of the 'n' word and will try to ban it, too.

Dyslexic racists?

I laugh now, but one day the wrong people will realize that 'ginger' is an anagram of the 'n' word and will try to ban it, too.

Why not? They already ban "niggardly" because it sounds like "!@#$" (but has absolutely no relation to the word otherwise.)

I saw the picture and that's about it. I have not seen why they did this. They may not have done this in a derogatory manner at all. They may have thought it was cool . Just as some well to do white kids think it's cool to dress like a thug and listen to hard core rap.

Why does the school need to get involved?