Thoughts on Drew

splinter9

From a personal standpoint, I feel like the argument for Drew Bledsoe being a good quarterback is that he is a class act and/or a great guy. Drew Bledsoe always says the right things and admittedly is a very respectable/likable man. It is easy for people to like Drew and thus it is easy for people to root for Drew and say he is good.

I feel like many of the die-hard Drew supporters say he is good which is just a translation of liking him as a person. Last time I checked being a class act does not translate into being a good player, which Drew is clearly not. Even the quotes you hear from players, coaches, and management of the bills say he was a class act, and I think that may have factored in to keeping him here that long. You never really here the Bills as an organization or players come out and defend Drews play. The response was always "Drew is our leader, this is a team game, we lost the game as a team".

To me, Drew is an extension of Gregg Williams as a player. How many times did we hear TD say Gregg williams was a class A respectable man? However, once again Drew has proven like Gregg did that being likable does not translate into wins.

I think people need to make the distinction between being a good football player/coach and being a good person. The two do not go hand in hand.

I think people need to make the distinction between being a good football player/coach and being a good person. The two do not go hand in hand.

244000[/snapback]

I would disagree. I think the kind of person you are is a microcosm of the kind of player you are. Case in point: let's say a guy like Ron Artest has the play-making abilities of a Michael Jordon. Say he won as many championships, and was a key role in those championships, but was still Ron Artest, the person who thinks nothing of taking his massive frame and attacking small people in the crowd.

Would he be as revered as Jordon is?

Not on your life.

Your attitude determines the kind of player you are, which is why many people, including myself, will quietly cheer for Drew regardless of where he plays; unlike some people who say "Thanks, Drew, you were a good person, a good player, well respected and I'll always respect what you did for the team...but get the !@#$ out, Montanaboy, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."