Guess Tyrod's Next Contract

Alright, this topic has derailed about 5 other threads with everyone arguing over what Tyrod will be getting on his next contract. Thought that it made sense to centralize that conversation. Please do not respond with "we have to wait and see what he does next year" or start arguing over someone else's opinion. Please give your anticipated contract and why you came up with that.

As part of this exercise you are projecting his level of play. If you think that he falls on his face you may have a McCown type of deal as a guy that MAY be a starter. If he improves you may be looking at a Russell Wilson type of deal. That is a pretty wide range. I will go first:

6 years

$114 M

$15 M signing bonus

$60 M guaranteed for injury for the 1st 3 years and fully guaranteed after that

This is basically the Kaepernick deal (a little different). If gives the Bills time to continue the evaluation process without being on the hook for a large guaranteed portion. They will basically be responsible for the $15 M signing bonus as well as his annual salary for the 1st 3 years. At that point the other $45 M in guarantees would kick in (along with his base).

What are your projections?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think he improves next year somewhat and the Bills make the playoffs finally. It will be more about the D and the run game than Taylor going for 5000 yds and 40 TD's. This will leave the Bills in a bit of a predicament. Taylor will want to be in the $20mil a year club.

5 years $110mil

$45mil guaranteed over the first 3 years. And he gets a $15mil signing bonus.

Years 4 and 5 will allow the Bills to rework his deal or cut him. Way off base? Still figuring out how the cap hit works etc.

In my mind the Bills end up assuring Taylor he gets $60 mil over 3 years between singing bonus and $15mil a year salary. Years 4 and 5 he goes to $25mil a season for salary. Bills can rework the deal, or if Taylor is playing well and the cap has increased this could be the going rate?

You capologists help me see the light on how to do this?

If he has great year next year it will be north of 100 million. Probably 7 years with 25 million signing and 60 million guaranteed. The rest heavily performance based over the later years. It will still be huge if he has a decent year but not quite as good as last year.

If the Bills acquire a QB in this years draft or next years draft that they deem can be their guy, my guess would be that Tyrod won't see a second contract.

I think that Bill Polian piece about the Bills gleemed some insight on how the Bills view Taylor......and I think he's a bridge QB.

If the Bills acquire a QB in this years draft or next years draft that they deem can be their guy, my guess would be that Tyrod won't see a second contract.

I think that Bill Polian piece about the Bills gleemed some insight on how the Bills view Taylor......and I think he's a bridge QB.

I assumed the contract could be from any team. And a good second guess is a one year transition or franchise tag. Edited by BarleyNY

• 2 weeks later...

If we make the playoffs and he has another good season I think we overpay with 5 years 100 mil with 55m guaranteed. If we dont then it will still need to be 18-19m per but perhaps only 3-4 years. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. With guys like Tannehill and (next up) Cousins signing big contracts, the cost for an average to below average QB is going through the roof!