Bank of Japan shocks market with negative interest rates

Japan’s central bank has made a shock decision to adopt negative interest rates, in an attempt to protect the flagging economy from market volatility and fears over the global economy.

In a 5-4 vote, the bank’s board imposed a 0.1% fee on deposits left with the Bank of Japan (BoJ) – in effect a negative interest rate.

The move, which follows the similarly aggressive precedent set by the European Central Bank in June 2014, is designed to encourage commercial banks to use excess reserves they keep with the central bank to lend to businesses.

(snip)

The rate cut had an immediate knock-on effect, sending shares on the Nikkei average up by more than 500 points early on Friday afternoon. However, shares soon plunged back down again as traders digested the broader implications of the move, which forced down the value of the yen and which could spark a currency war.

“The fact markets pared back this bounce soon after the announcement may in some respects reflect growing market concern that central banks are delving into a tit-for-tat currency devaluation war,” said Angus Nicholson at the online trading firm IG in Melbourne.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/29/bank-of-japan-shocks-markets-by-adopting-negative-interest-rates

Well, then what the !@#$ were you talking about with your pithy "above the law" comment?

Nothing. Like usual. If he's not making up lies and outright falsehoods, or making basic mathematical mistakes, he talks about nothing. Adding nothing to every conversation he trolls for going on two years now.

Gator: the asshat king.

The G-20 met recently in Australia to make new banking rules for the next financial calamity. Financial reform advocate Ellen Brown says these new rules will allow banks to take money from depositors and pensioners globally. Brown explains, “It became rules we agreed to actually implement. There was no treaty, and Congress didn’t agree to all this. They use words so that it’s not obvious to tell what they have done, but what they did was say, basically, that we, the governments, are no longer going to be responsible for bailing out the big banks. These are about 30 international banks. So, you are going to have to save yourselves, and the way you are going to have to do it is by bailing in the money of your creditors. The largest class of creditors of any bank is the depositors.”

It gets worse, as Brown goes on to say, “Theoretically, we are protected by deposit insurance up to $250,000 in the U.S. and 100,000 euros in Europe. The FDIC fund has $46 billion, the last time I looked, to cover $4.5 trillion worth of deposits. There is also $280 trillion worth of derivatives that the five biggest banks in the U.S. are exposed to, and under the bankruptcy reform act of 2005, derivatives go first. So, they are basically exempt from these new rules. They just snatch the collateral. So, if you had a big derivatives bust that brought down JP Morgan or Bank of America, there is no way there is going to be collateral left for the FDIC or for the secured depositors. This would include state and local governments. They all put their money in these big banks. So, even though we are protected by the FDIC, the FDIC is not going to have the money. . . . This makes it legal for these big 30 banks to take our money when they become insolvent. They are too-big-to-fail. This was supposed to avoid too-big-to-fail, but what it does is institutionalizes too-big-to-fail. They are not going to go down. They are going to take our money instead.”

http://usawatchdog.com/big-banks-will-take-depositors-money-in-next-crash-ellen-brown/

Try explaining the substance of this article to Gator, use small words. He'll accuse you of being a conspiracy theorist... but you're not.

The game is not only rigged, it's sinking and the people are going to be the ones left without lifeboats when collection time comes.

Try explaining the substance of this article to Gator, use small words. He'll accuse you of being a conspiracy theorist... but you're not.

The game is not only rigged, it's sinking and the people are going to be the ones left without lifeboats when collection time comes.

I've already explained Gator's usefulness in this form, that he acts as a time-wasting distraction for a certain unsavory ilk- exactly why he is wasting your time I do not know ( except for that reason I didn't think I'd hear after retiring from working in education "he started it") - Now that I'm pretty old, I try to walk every day and almost every time I walk , my neighbors tiny poodle barks ferociously at me, I do not bark back.

Edited by ....lybob