Paul Kantner of the Jefferson Airplane has died

ChevyVanMiller

Another rock icon has left us.

I saw Jefferson Starship play on the revolving stage at Melody Fair in the early '90s. After the first few revolutions, Kantner stopped the show and said, "I feel like somebody put us in the microwave, Man."

Drew a big laugh from the crowd.

RIP

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Have to admit, I was never a huge Jefferson Airplane/Starship fan...I like the obvious classic singles from the Airplane era alright (White Rabbit, Somebody to Love, etc etc..the ones that show up any every other movie soundtrack), but never really "got" the hippy-dippy Bay vibe thing. One thing I will always remember about Kantner though, which I appreciated, was his retelling of leaving Jefferson Starship in the mid-80's....he rather vehemently, and with great disdain in his voice, reminisced about his last show with the band (he was the last original member), and saying how they were in the middle of "We Built This City" and he just couldn't surpress it any more... despite the tremendous pay out that song made for the band, he hated it so much, and hated the music they were doing so much by that point, that he "just couldn't do another show with them". He was clear that it wasn't the people, but just the music itself...I appreciate that kind of honesty!

RIP

Have to admit, I was never a huge Jefferson Airplane/Starship fan...I like the obvious classic singles from the Airplane era alright (White Rabbit, Somebody to Love, etc etc..the ones that show up any every other movie soundtrack), but never really "got" the hippy-dippy Bay vibe thing. One thing I will always remember about Kantner though, which I appreciated, was his retelling of leaving Jefferson Starship in the mid-80's....he rather vehemently, and with great disdain in his voice, reminisced about his last show with the band (he was the last original member), and saying how they were in the middle of "We Built This City" and he just couldn't surpress it any more... despite the tremendous pay out that song made for the band, he hated it so much, and hated the music they were doing so much by that point, that he "just couldn't do another show with them". He was clear that it wasn't the people, but just the music itself...I appreciate that kind of honesty!

RIP

I liked the SF music and then I moved there and it took on a whole different meaning. The music that was being played was behind invented. Some of it was great and some was ****. But what it had was a community. They all hung out together, played together and jammed together. Walk in the Fillmore and see all the posters and photos and look at the size of the venue and it must have been magical. I'm at The Fox in Oakland now up on "the rail". I'll likely never go to an arena show again

I saw them at the fair in 1988. I think they might have been called Starship by then. It was the craziest concert. Started out in sunshine, with everybody just sitting in their seats, and ended at nighttime, with everybody going crazy.

But, I could swear Paul Kantner was there. People were yelling "Where's Grace?" but I would bet that Kantner was there.

I saw them at the fair in 1988. I think they might have been called Starship by then. It was the craziest concert. Started out in sunshine, with everybody just sitting in their seats, and ended at nighttime, with everybody going crazy.

But, I could swear Paul Kantner was there. People were yelling "Where's Grace?" but I would bet that Kantner was there.

Oh I imagine he was. I was at Golden Gate Park in 2009 for the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. The Starship played and I think he was the only "original" member that was there. Jorma and Jack Casady have not really been a part of the band for a long time and I think Grace bowed out too in the mid 80's. The Starship is pretty bad compared to the Airplane.

BTW I just looked it up and it looks like Jorma never played with Starship. Smart man.

Edited by Chef Jim