Tyler Sash (Giants safety) - dead; CTE at age 27

that inner city kids play the game to get out of the city. todays inner city youth - which i have managed a lot of during the last 5 years only care about emulating the media the same as kids elsewhere in the country. the youth today is very disinterested in sports.

Young people are "very disinterested in sports"??

I guess we are to the point where you can say just about anything to make a point.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't know for sure because the studies don't say what you think they say. For one thing the study population sizes are very small. Second is the lack of randomized controlled studies. Can you say control group? It is irresponsible to think we "know for sure" when we don't know the incidence rate in the general population. Don't even know the incidence rate for the athletes and therefore cannot know the relative risk.

We know in Western countries that smoking increases your risk of lung cancer (15 to 30 times more likely). OTOH, the 'Japanese smoking paradox' clearly shows there are confounding factors that contribute to differences in relative risk between the Japanese and Western countries. Hereditary factors appear to not be a significant factor as people of Japanese decent living in Western countries have the same relative risk as non Japanese. What history should teach us is science is never settled nor is it as simple as we would like it to be.

So you're not ready to say that playing professional football for an extended period of time increases one's likelihood of developing symptoms of CTE? If you had to guess would you guess it does? I would guess that it does. Call me crazy. Edited by metzelaars_lives