Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi thread

Just Jack

30 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/22/last-jedi-daily-grosses-are-swiftly-collapsing-the-worst-holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/#6d5a2c6d355c

In North America, daily holds for the Rian Johnson-directed flick have been significantly worse than those experienced by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and if the pattern continues The Last Jedi could actually wind up doing not much better than the 2016 spin-off movie.

Not good!

Star Wars fatigue

America doesn't have the attention span to keep up with a yearly Star Wars film.  Plus, and this will sound odd given the merchandising history of Star Wars, but people are sick of all the Star Wars related commercials.  Jailbait driving Nissan Rogues pretending to be in the Star Wars universe or my personal favorite, a Star Wars edition electric razor.

Seriously, there was a Star Wars related electric razor commercial.

6 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Star Wars fatigue

America doesn't have the attention span to keep up with a yearly Star Wars film.  Plus, and this will sound odd given the merchandising history of Star Wars, but people are sick of all the Star Wars related commercials.  Jailbait driving Nissan Rogues pretending to be in the Star Wars universe or my personal favorite, a Star Wars edition electric razor.

Seriously, there was a Star Wars related electric razor commercial.

Nope. It's just because it's a bad movie.

"This is a matter of how well the film succeeds in meeting financial expectations, how well it fulfills the needs of the franchise, and whether it strengthens the Star Wars brand for future projects. By those measures, The Last Jedi already looks like a dud."

That was obvious immediately after seeing the movie and word got out about how bad it is. Fans who were going to go see it decided they'd just wait to rent it.

5 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I wonder how much of a spike the force awakens got after Christmas. I’m hearing plenty of stories of people taking the kids as a Christmas gift. I feel like awakens opened a week or two earlier than this one, so maybe it didn’t get that same bump that we are about to see here. 

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wonder how much of a spike the force awakens got after Christmas. I’m hearing plenty of stories of people taking the kids as a Christmas gift. I feel like awakens opened a week or two earlier than this one, so maybe it didn’t get that same bump that we are about to see here. 

TFA opened on December 18, so no real big difference there

TFA was a much bigger deal because it was the first Star Wars in over a decade.

TLJ is the 3rd year in a row, or 'oh look another Star Wars'

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

TFA opened on December 18, so no real big difference there

TFA was a much bigger deal because it was the first Star Wars in over a decade.

TLJ is the 3rd year in a row, or 'oh look another Star Wars'

I must have seen that one much earlier than I thought I did. Maybe because the big spoiler from that one was all over the place very early. I guess I saw it much quicker than I thought. 

On 12/19/2017 at 1:51 PM, /dev/null said:

Still sitting through previews

The Oasis movie looks interesting.

But I still can't get over the fact they made a movie baaed off the old Rampage arcade game :lol: and of course such a terrible movie would feature The Rock

I thought it was going to be another King Kong remake. 

On 12/25/2017 at 9:35 AM, eball said:

Saw TLJ again on Friday night.  Liked it even more.  Love the direction they're taking it.

Can you tell me what direction they are taking it?  

To me, nothing seemed to really happen.  New Order in a slow speed chase.  Handful of rebels get away.   No urgency because New Order doesn't give much reason to hate/fear them in this movie, especially without Snoke and now being run by a somewhat likable conflicted bad guy and a general who is used for slapstick comic relief.  One dimensional characters remained one dimensional.  The movie fatigued me on most of them.  I really liked them at the time of the conclusion of TFA and was ready for the ride.  This movie didn't take me anywhere.  Didn't feel invested in the story.  2nd parts of a trilogy generally set the pins and end just before the climax of the trilogy, but there is nothing here, really.  I feel disjointed from the story and really not looking forward to Episode IX as much as I would.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Can you tell me what direction they are taking it?  

To me, nothing seemed to really happen.  New Order in a slow speed chase.  Handful of rebels get away.   No urgency because New Order doesn't give much reason to hate/fear them in this movie, especially without Snoke and now being run by a somewhat likable conflicted bad guy and a general who is used for slapstick comic relief.  One dimensional characters remained one dimensional.  The movie fatigued me on most of them.  I really liked them at the time of the conclusion of TFA and was ready for the ride.  This movie didn't take me anywhere.  Didn't feel invested in the story.  2nd parts of a trilogy generally set the pins and end just before the climax of the trilogy, but there is nothing here, really.  I feel disjointed from the story and really not looking forward to Episode IX as much as I would.

Well, we just see two completely different things.  To each his own!

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

What a crap movie this was.

The villains are absolutely garbage. They aren't even a pimple on the fannies of Vader and the Emperor.

They're still young.  Trust the process.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Are they gonna kill Leia off screen or will we see another CGI Leia? Both?

Discuss.

In hindsight they really should have skipped the space mary poppins scene. I mean, they should have skipped it anyway, but knowing what we do now it makes even more sense to let her go there.

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

In hindsight they really should have skipped the space mary poppins scene. I mean, they should have skipped it anyway, but knowing what we do now it makes even more sense to let her go there.

Yeah, they were so focused on giving her a great send-off that they gave her none at all....