Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi thread

Just Jack

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Well said, but I don't agree with that last paragraph. Solo died at the end of TFA. The reaction to it from Chewy, Rey, Finn, Leia, etc. was great. That huge long hug from Leia to Rey was powerful, considering they had just met for the first time and Han Solo was their only connection.

It's really a minor issue, but I think they messed up with that hug.  It should have been Chewie and Leia.  Those two always had a great bond.

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

We shouldn't expect character advancement and story lines that make sense? A movie that flows well with the rest of the series?

They gave Johnson the responsibility of making a trilogy that has nothing to do with this Star Wars story. I can tell he'll be really good at it. :lol:

I guess I am just missing it all. I enjoyed what I saw. Yes, there were a few things I could have done without, but I was entertained and I thought this was a strong entry into the series.

13 hours ago, meazza said:

What exactly do you mean by nothing to do with this Star Wars story? It feels like everyone who didn’t like the force awakens found it too similar to a new hope and yet everyone seems to be disappointed that this wasn’t an empire copy paste.

Yes, I've read some comments and boy there is some real anger with this movie. Of course there was a lot of anger over The Force Awakens as well. 

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I guess I am just missing it all. I enjoyed what I saw. Yes, there were a few things I could have done without, but I was entertained and I thought this was a strong entry into the series.

Yes, I've read some comments and boy there is some real anger with this movie. Of course there was a lot of anger over The Force Awakens as well. 

Man Disney sure finds ways to transform that anger into millions of dollars.

46 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Still sitting through previews

The Oasis movie looks interesting.

But I still can't get over the fact they made a movie baaed off the old Rampage arcade game :lol: and of course such a terrible movie would feature The Rock

I'm pretty sure Disney attached a trailer to this movie for every single project they have planned for the next 5 years.  I got 30 minutes of previews when I saw it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2017 at 9:51 PM, Joe Miner said:

A slow race to run out of gas while the guy that's all action learns that being a leader isn't always about action.  Because the first lesson with the bombers wasn't enough, he needed a remedial lesson that drug out over the course of the low speed chase through space. 

I just realized that Poe was responsible for virtually all deaths in this movie.

The bombardier battle

The rescue shuttles

The ski speeder battle

Poe is a double agent; turned when he was captured and interrogated by Kylo

• Haha (+1) 1

Saw TLJ last night.  Fun movie with some great sequences, but overall not a fan.  They crammed too much into one movie and sacrificed some interesting storylines because of it.  The thing that irritated me most was just the hubris of this movie.  Just forcing witty banter at every possible opportunity made the movie very cheesy in spots for me.  Opening scene "can you hear me now" spoof was just stupid and ruined any sense of struggle and gravitas.  Let alone the concept of Zeppelin bombers in outer space.

Kylo Ren and his lame red-headed step-brother gave the movie more of a bumbling Coyote vs road runner tone than that of an evil, ruthless empire.  I like all the Rebellion characters but they and their relationships weren't really developed.  I think Kylo was horribly miscast, just lame to me.

There's also the disnification factor, where evil has a soft side and is human too.  And things are serious but we can still pause and share a bunch of lame humor.  Not going to go in to specifics to spoil things and definitely some cool parts to the movie but overall disappointed.  Couldn't buy into the "struggle".

I thought TLJ was great, but I was also pretty buzzed from a day of football watching and drinking so I plan to see it again sober later this week.

The criticisms I'm reading are pretty juvenile (IMO).  The story has to move along...can't rely upon 60-something year old Luke Skywalker.  I'm encouraged by the direction of the saga.  I couldn't care less about supposed "plot holes" -- it's entertainment and if you're looking to Star Wars for reality then I can't help you.

Those questioning the use of corny humor apparently haven't watched any of the original trilogy recently...they're full of it from start to finish.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The humor was not an issue in TFA. They used too much of it with General Hux, mainly. He could be an awesome bad guy, if they wanted him to be. Like Krennic from Rogue One. Gleeson does a great job.

I just can't buy that guy as a serious threat.  He doesn't have the look of big time general.  Tarkin had it.  This guy looks and sounds like he's been on the receiving end of far too many wedgies throughout his entire life.

6 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Kylo Ren and his lame red-headed step-brother gave the movie more of a bumbling Coyote vs road runner tone than that of an evil, ruthless empire.  e".

Speaking of Coyote vs Road Runner, anyone else notice how Disney seems to have embraced the theoretical Physics model pioneered by Warner Brothers

Dropping bombs in space.

Leia's space walk.  That scene was corny and contrived to begin with.  But exposure to the vacuum of space would have made Leia go splatty before she turned into a space popsicle.  Her body would have done little something like this (warning, science content and abit gory)

I appreciated that final scene with Laura Dern how you saw the damage to the ship before you heard it.  But then I remembered you can't actually hear anything in space.  There's no medium for the sound waves to travel thru

So now the Force can do astral projections?  And not just any astral projections, but solid astral projections.  Like how Luke and Emosiths sabres would strike each other and make contact.  But when Darth Bieber struck Luke..........Sike!!!!! Not really there!

19 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Speaking of Coyote vs Road Runner, anyone else notice how Disney seems to have embraced the theoretical Physics model pioneered by Warner Brothers

Dropping bombs in space.

Just thinking out loud here...

There's gravity on the ship.  So if they're dropped from inside the ship, wouldn't they keep their trajectory once they exit the ship?  Of course, this makes the assumption that there's some magic line where the gravity just stops and there's no other forces at play outside the ship.

Seriously though, they should have dropped anvils.

6 hours ago, shrader said:

I just can't buy that guy as a serious threat.  He doesn't have the look of big time general.  Tarkin had it.  This guy looks and sounds like he's been on the receiving end of far too many wedgies throughout his entire life.

Yeah, that's the way they chose to go with his character.

I thought dropping the bombs was their way of getting through their shields. Those bombs were terrifyingly effective.

And Leia obviously used the force to keep herself intact/unfrozen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/22/last-jedi-daily-grosses-are-swiftly-collapsing-the-worst-holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/#6d5a2c6d355c

In North America, daily holds for the Rian Johnson-directed flick have been significantly worse than those experienced by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and if the pattern continues The Last Jedi could actually wind up doing not much better than the 2016 spin-off movie.

Not good!

Edited by jmc12290