Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

Tell me again teams didn't interview Marrone solely as a favor to Jimmy Sexton? Tell me again why Sexton should want to keep this guy as a client if he insists on getting an NFL HC job? 2% of his assistant coach salary isn't a good enough reason.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me again teams didn't interview Marrone solely as a favor to Jimmy Sexton? Tell me again why Sexton should want to keep this guy as a client if he insists on getting an NFL HC job? 2% of his assistant coach salary isn't a good enough reason.

@rapsheet

#Titans CEO Steve Underwood explains what was evident: During the process, Amy Adams Strunk knew she was hiring Mularkey before interviews.

Sounds like a favor to me that they interviewed Marrone, if they knew they were hiring someone else

Edited by YoloinOhio

Holy cow...

@rapsheet

#Titans CEO Steve Underwood explains what was evident: During the process, Amy Adams Strunk knew she was hiring Mularkey before interviews.

Sounds like a favor to me that they interviewed Marrone, if they knew they were hiring someone else

Doesn't that admission, on its face, violate the Rooney Rule?

i don't know. Does it matter if he's the interim HC already? I have no idea what the rule states but maybe that's a way around it. Or they did interview their DC Horton late in the process so maybe that covers it. Edited by YoloinOhio

Its almost ditto what folks said about Greg Schiano in Tampa ..... now Urban Myer's DC at Ohio State.

Marrone was smart to take the money and run. He basically got more than his slated salary in what probably would have been his last year coaching the Bills. Taylor would not have signed with the Bills (EJ would have told him not to come and they have known each other since they were very young) and no matter the D -- the O would have held the team back.

I will admit that I actually liked the guy until I heard about the national anthem practice...that was the tipping point for me..

How?

That he was going to release or trade many of his best players? That he was going to start a major power struggle with his GM and force his boss to choose one or the other?

Yeah. Didn't anyone ask Oregon what this guy was like? And he was the GM...

Its almost ditto what folks said about Greg Schiano in Tampa ..... now Urban Myer's DC at Ohio State.

Marrone was smart to take the money and run. He basically got more than his slated salary in what probably would have been his last year coaching the Bills. Taylor would not have signed with the Bills (EJ would have told him not to come and they have known each other since they were very young) and no matter the D -- the O would have held the team back.

I will admit that I actually liked the guy until I heard about the national anthem practice...that was the tipping point for me..

schiano and Marrone are both better off coaching in college.

To be honest the only poster I remember not liking Marrone was a guy that referred to him as "Greggo" because it would be us two constantly in battle with the Marrone is "changing the culture", he is a good head coach narrative...until he quit anyways... :)

I didn't like Marrone at all the whole second half of his second year and started bitching about him for incompetence after about 6-7 games. I was hoping he wouldn't be the coach.

i didn't want him fired. Gave him benefit of the doubt. Until he showed himself to be a fraud and a quitter. However I remember the talk of him being fired heating up after the Denver game I believe? Or Oakland? Because the wgr guys asked Russ Brandon about the rumblings and Russ laughed saying it wasn't even a consideration.

The 'continuity' debate really flared up THIS year because many fans like myself were skittish about the idea of doing a HC search in back to back years.

Once he quit, he lost any/all support from fans. That much is clear.

I don't know where that talk came from, since it still doesn't sound like that would have happened, that the only person who would have removed Marrone was Marrone himself, as it happened.

But, Bills fans really need to stop listening to what brass says on WGR. I mean you can listen to it, but it would significantly curtail a lot of frustration if we all accept the notion that high ranking officials, of any kind, don't owe the gen pop a shred of honesty when speaking with the media, and that any outrage or feeling of betrayal that comes when one thing is said and another thing is done, all of that is self-imposed, resulting from a mixed bag of naiveté and/or willful ignorance to the reality of 21st century media.

schiano and Marrone are both better off coaching in college.

Agreed Yolo.....it took a lot of pride swallowing for Schiano to go to OSU...Marrone may have to do the same -- OC at Boston College the next staff turnover there or something similar is my bet...

How?

Yeah. Didn't anyone ask Oregon what this guy was like? And he was the GM...

He was known at Oregon for being a pompous ass. But then again a lot of coaches and a lot of players and a lot of successful people are pompous asses. He didn't know he would want to get rid of TheSeans and a bunch of other players or try to wrest control from his GM and force Lurie into a position to have to decide on one or the other.

What would you all be saying if Marrone had stayed and we just won our first playoff game? Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.

Its pretty easy to talk in hypotheticals...it was just as, if not more likely that the following happened:

1) EJ was the full-time starter

2) The OL further regressed -- no Incognito

3) No Shady

4) Sammy becomes a serious malcontent

5) Jerry Hughes does not re-sign

6) D ebbs back a bit

all equal 6-10 and house is cleaned...

Edited by JoeF

What would you all be saying if Marrone had stayed and we just won our first playoff game? Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.

I also think the team's trajectory indicated that this was possible.

But, it's impossible to say that TT, Clay, Harvin, Incognito and/or Shady, or any of the combination of the three would have come to Buffalo this year. And it's highly unlikely Greg Roman would have too.

When you think back to the offensive vacuum left in the wake of Orton's surprise retirement, it's hard to imagine things playing out the way they actually did.

****. Our backfield might have been Spiller and Jackson in 2015, had Marrone/Hacket stayed. We just don't know.