How long before Sexton drops Marrone as a client?

eball

Brady is 24-3 vs the Bills ... Who didn't have Dareus or their two starting CBs or Glenn... But sure, if Brady and the Pats needed that game there is no way they could have scored 9 more points in just a half at home! Obviously. Btw Gronk and Edelman didn't play in the 1st half either.

Yep. And everyone knows this. Well, almost everyone.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills were beating NE 17-6 in the first half.

Are you one of those posters who really thinks a team is strongly (or at all) influenced by guys who are paid specifically to hype every one of their clients? If you are, that would make 2 of you, by my count.

If someone were arguing the opposite way you would immediately say "If the Patriots played their starters in the second half they would have won." Any side against the Bills you jump to.

If someone were arguing the opposite way you would immediately say "If the Patriots played their starters in the second half they would have won." Any side against the Bills you jump to.

Yup. But I still have no idea why he's defending Marrone.

Serious question -- Maroon has become something of a cancer, it seems, in the prospective HC candidate world. Interviews for lots of jobs, gets none. Can't get out from under the way he left Buffalo -- sorry, $4M doesn't explain it -- and more and more people have come to realize he's something of a tool.

If I'm Sexton, and Marrone doesn't get one of the remaining jobs and has to crawl back to OL duties in Jacksonville, I think my stint with him is done.

How long before we no longer care enough to obsess over his career?

Brady is 24-3 vs the Bills ... Who didn't have Dareus or their two starting CBs or Glenn... But sure, if Brady and the Pats needed that game there is no way they could have scored 9 more points in just a half at home! Obviously. Btw Gronk and Edelman didn't play in the 1st half either.

The pats this year lost to the Jets and the Dolphins...in NE...in weeks 16 and 17. With Brady. In week 16, Gronk played. In week 17, the pats had No. 1 seed on the line.

Not true. I'm pointing out that it's not a given that the pats would have won that game with under any circumstance.

Yup. But I still have no idea why he's defending Marrone.

Never have defended that predictably awful HC pick. And, obviously, I'm not defending him now.

Did anyone ever see the movie Promise Land with Matt Damone. It about a Company that wants to buy this land in Penn. for the purpose of fracking. When someone in the town, starts to question weather it would be a good idea. The company sends in an undercover agent to pretend he is helping the towns people fight this big gas company, but what he really doing is setting up this false information so he can be caught in a lie, and then the towns people wont trust him. so in the end the gas company sends him in to make sure they get what they want.

This is what Pegula did, we wanted Marrone out, but could not fire the only coach that has lead the team to a winning season in years. So through his friends in the sports agency business they created this idea that Marrone was in high demand, leaked it to the press, so Doug would opt out on his own. Terry made his big slash, Doug continued to be what Doug is, and the rest is history.

Did anyone ever see the movie Promise Land with Matt Damone. It about a Company that wants to buy this land in Penn. for the purpose of fracking. When someone in the town, starts to question weather it would be a good idea. The company sends in an undercover agent to pretend he is helping the towns people fight this big gas company, but what he really doing is setting up this false information so he can be caught in a lie, and then the towns people wont trust him. so in the end the gas company sends him in to make sure they get what they want.

This is what Pegula did, we wanted Marrone out, but could not fire the only coach that has lead the team to a winning season in years. So through his friends in the sports agency business they created this idea that Marrone was in high demand, leaked it to the press, so Doug would opt out on his own. Terry made his big slash, Doug continued to be what Doug is, and the rest is history.

. . . or, Doug Marrone has a very, very high opinion of himself, convinced himself that he was going to be the Jets head coach, and double dipped on a HC salary by exercising the clause that allowed him to both opt out AND yet keep the money that the Bills were obligated to pay him in 2015.

Edited by Peter

. . . or, Doug Marrone has a very, very high opinion of himself, convinced himself that he was going to be the Jets head coach, and double dipped on a HC salary by exercising the clause that allowed him to both opt out AND yet keep the money that the Bills were obligated to pay him in 2015.

I think Terry used his friends to manipulate the media to get what he wanted. Doug went from Bill Belichick status to Rich Kotite status over night.

I simply believe that Marrone seriously underestimated other owners reaction to quitting on a team in the middle of a contract. How do you convince someone that you wont do it again if you don't like the circumstances the next time down the line. "Quitter" is one of the toughest reputations to overcome.

Edited by Yoho

I simply believe that Marrone seriously underestimated other owners reaction to quitting on a team in the middle of a contract. How do you convince someone that you wont do it again if you don't like the circumstances the next time down the line. "Quitter" is one of the toughest reputations to overcome.

I like the first part of what you said because I do think it's possible owners did not like that he took money from another owner - even if he had the right to do so within his contract. But the spirit of his contract was that he could opt out if ownership changed during his contract - to protect him in the event they moved and he didn't want to be a part of that. He would never get that kind of contract again - so owners wouldn't fear that. If he quit again he wouldn't get paid.

Edited by Triple Threat

Coaching contracts are guaranteed. When Marrone quit I think he had two years left on his deal. He got $4m for not coaching but by quitting he doesn't get the guarantee. So if he was fired Pegula would have owed him $8m not $4m.

I think, but don't know, that Pegula wanted him to quit. Especially after the demands he made.

If true, this is why I think Pegula got what he wanted when Marrone quit.

By this I mean, Pegula met with Marrone and decided he did not want to give Marrone more personnel power. Pegula most likely offered Marrone to coach the 2015 season. if the team met performance expectations Marrone and Pegula would meet after the season and work out a new deal. Marrone tried to make demands Pegula was not ready to give. Pegula knew Marrone quitting was an option. The silver lining to Pegula was that he saved $4mil.

I think Pegula knew the entire time what he was doing and comfortable with both outcomes-

Marrone staying on with a 'let's see how you do this year approach'

Or Marrone quitting.

If you recall that game, Brady spent much of the first half throwing deep shots to LaFell. It was a clear effort to improve upon timing and not really to win the game. Their whole offense when he was in there didn't really make sense from a win-the-game perspective, but that wasn't what hey were up to.

The reason they lost to Miam this year was because theit o-line was decimated without Vollmer. Vollmer is a substandard LT to begin with (although he's a great RT), and when they had to move their scrub backup RT to the right sde to play that game, it's like they had no line at all. Nate Solder was a huge loss for them this year. That said, the line played very well against KC, although the one caveat is that Justin Huston came in hurt and played less than 10 snaps.

My understanding from media reports:

Marrone's contract had an opt out clause that allowed him to opt out within a certain period of time after the 2014 season and still keep his 2015 salary. This clause is similar to what Jimmy Sexton negotiated with the Dolphins for Bill Parcells. Of course, Doug Marrone is not Bill Parcells.

Without the opt out clause, St. Doug would not have been able to quit and keep his 2015 salary.

If a team fires a coach who has time left on a contract, the team is obligated to pay the balance. There are instances though where such obligation would be reduced by any amounts paid by another team for the same period of time.

Marrone overplayed any perceived leverage he thought he had. I don't think HC was a blip on Terry's radar until Marrone wanted the extensions. I truly believe Marrone would still be the HC if he didn't put Terry in the position to reward 9-7 with staff-wide contract extensions.

If you recall that game, Brady spent much of the first half throwing deep shots to LaFell. It was a clear effort to improve upon timing and not really to win the game. Their whole offense when he was in there didn't really make sense from a win-the-game perspective, but that wasn't what hey were up to.

The reason they lost to Miam this year was because theit o-line was decimated without Vollmer. Vollmer is a substandard LT to begin with (although he's a great RT), and when they had to move their scrub backup RT to the right sde to play that game, it's like they had no line at all. Nate Solder was a huge loss for them this year. That said, the line played very well against KC, although the one caveat is that Justin Huston came in hurt and played less than 10 snaps.

Funny, I thought the reason they lost to Miami was because they couldn't stop Tannehill and the Phins offense. Even early in the game with fresh legs, they let Miami march the length of the field 2x in the 1st quarter and 1x in the 2nd. If Miami's red zone O were less impotent they'd have been leading by 21-3 at the half. Tannehill racked up 350 yds on them.

Now I do grant you, Belicheck does seem to have a pattern of using the last game of the season when they've already clinched, to test things out. But I do believe Belicheck wanted that game so as to play this weekend in NE.

Funny, I thought the reason they lost to Miami was because they couldn't stop Tannehill and the Phins offense. Even early in the game with fresh legs, they let Miami march the length of the field 2x in the 1st quarter and 1x in the 2nd. If Miami's red zone O were less impotent they'd have been leading by 21-3 at the half. Tannehill racked up 350 yds on them.

Now I do grant you, Belicheck does seem to have a pattern of using the last game of the season when they've already clinched, to test things out. But I do believe Belicheck wanted that game so as to play this weekend in NE.

I'm talking about last year's game against Buffalo. They obviously wanted to beat mismi.