The "How about THIS QB" thread? (Trade or FA acquisition)

Should we acquire this or that splashy QB?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills make a play for any of these QB?

• Robert Griffin III
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • Johnny (JFF) Manziel
    • Tim Tebow
    • None of the above, draft a guy and/or sign a low-cost 2nd tier FA
    • None of the above, trade for a different guy
  2. 2. If you want one of the QB named above, how should we get him?

• Trade
    • Wait to see if he's released
    • I don't want any of the QB named above if they come with a pony and a free trip to Belize
    • I want to trade for a different guy
  3. 3. If you want one of the QB named above, define his role

• Starter, he's shown more than Taylor
    • Backup, if he gets a shot let him show more
    • Backup, let him compete with EJ and any draftee for a job
    • I don't want any of the QB named above

Mods and fellow TBD'ians:

There is a lot of fan interest in this that or the other QB who may be released by a team or is currently a FA or might be available by trade. This has resulted in multiple threads.

Could we maybe have one pinned thread where we extoll and debate and disparage all these QB options?

I have also added a poll so all can express their opinions.

That is all.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Johnny because he has shown flashes of being able to play in this league. He will be cheap (roughly a 7th) and he can compete for the backup job. That is as good of a use on a 7th as Kyle Calloway. In addition, if he wins the #2 job you can play a similar style.

I'm not dying to do it but it makes some sense to me. Plus we all know that the Bills love a circus.

I voted for Colin Kaepernick. I don't care how we get him either. I know he had a rough couple of years, but he can probably still play IMHO. Went to SB with 49ers and should have won if Roman had let him run his power run play on the last series. I believe his rough patch had something to do with the turmoil on that team the last 2 years.

I like Tyrod, but I like Colin better. He has a more complete game and is bigger and a better runner and in his first couple of years a better passer.

I voted for Colin Kaepernick. I don't care how we get him either. I know he had a rough couple of years, but he can probably still play IMHO. Went to SB with 49ers and should have won if Roman had let him run his power run play on the last series. I believe his rough patch had something to do with the turmoil on that team the last 2 years.

I like Tyrod, but I like Colin better. He has a more complete game and is bigger and a better runner and in his first couple of years a better passer.

I voted for Colin Kap also. Has a similar skill-set to TT, is familiar with the offense, and has arguably better weapons here than he did in San Fran. If TT gets hurt (likely given his running style), we need a backup that can come in and provides the least drop-off from the starter. Kap is that person. I'd have him compete with EJ for the backup spot (or trade EJ). Let TT start, unless Kap comes alive in camp/preseason.

He's the only guy in that poll who's shown signs of being a genuine NFL QB.

It's hard to argue with the track record of playoffs, then going to a Superbowl. I'd like to be a fly on the wall and know the story from last year and this. After they benched Kaep, it was announced he needed shoulder surgery. Did he really need it last year and was trying to play through something? Is it that he has holes in his game, defenses figured it out, and his OCs couldn't compensate?

SF course of action likely depends upon new HC and what they think of Gabbert (I will admit to being shocked and amazed at his performance this year), but it's not impossible SF could shop him. He's under contract for 5 years, new team isn't on the hook for his bonus, and if you think 2012-2013 was the real deal and 2014-2015 has some fixable explanation (coaching, injury), his contract isn't bad for a QB who went to the playoffs. The coaching thing though - Roman was his OC last year, and if anyone would know the gouge, we have the Man.

I don't see us being able to afford him this year unless we abandon all hope of signing Glenn and extending Gilmore. Can he function without an NFL-grade LT?

1st Round (19) Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

I'm terribly sorry, I didn't mean to detract from the pinned "draft QB" threads. I meant to discuss FA or trade QB. Sorry!

I'd like to see Tyrod, EJ, Kaepernick & a rookie all battle it out.

not a bad idea either. Except remove EJ from the equation perhaps if you can get anything in return in a trade. That's just too many people to get a good read during TC and preseason.

I'll also say this. The NFL is funny. Here we are in 2016 debating IF we should get RG3 or Kap, when 2-3 years ago we'd be debating how much to give up for them.

Out of that list, I would not advocate for any of them. Kaep is probably the closest thing, but he is not getting cut, is too expensive for a potential back up, and likely going nowhere now that Chip is bringing the circus to SF. The Bills are likely stuck with EJ one more year and I would draft one somewhere on day 2 to develop. If they could trade EJ, that would free up $3m to sign an experienced back up, but as usual the list of available QBs is not very appealing.

The Bills will benefit from going into training camp with TT as the unquestioned starter without the distraction of another competition for that role.

Out of that list, I would not advocate for any of them. Kaep is probably the closest thing, but he is not getting cut, is too expensive for a potential back up, and likely going nowhere now that Chip is bringing the circus to SF. The Bills are likely stuck with EJ one more year and I would draft one somewhere on day 2 to develop. If they could trade EJ, that would free up $3m to sign an experienced back up, but as usual the list of available QBs is not very appealing.

The Bills will benefit from going into training camp with TT as the unquestioned starter without the distraction of another competition for that role.

I think competition is good. I'm all for drafting a rookie and letting him develop, and if they want to bring in a 2nd tier FA as well I'm in with that.

An EJ trade would free up to $1.6M cap space (depending upon what salary the trade partner pays him). The other ~$1.3 is signing bonus and we eat it, trade or no trade.

You can probably take Kaep off of that list with Chip Kelly heading to SF.

Agree. But he ain't goin' off the list; it's just the compilation of various TBDian QB yearnings, not the list of QB we could or should practically acquire. I mean, trade for RGIII and his $16M salary as a backup? Seriously, peeps?

not a bad idea either. Except remove EJ from the equation perhaps if you can get anything in return in a trade. That's just too many people to get a good read during TC and preseason.

I'll also say this. The NFL is funny. Here we are in 2016 debating IF we should get RG3 or Kap, when 2-3 years ago we'd be debating how much to give up for them.

What about a high end drafted qb to battle with TT. And have Kap battle EJ, loser of that battle goes. That way you have one of Tyrod or said rookie starting. If Tyrod loses then we have our QB. If tyrod wins we let the rook develop wherever while having EJ or Kap as the number 2/3.