Johnny Manziel (update: waived by Browns)

My take on Manziel is he's got talent and potential to be a decent pro QB. In college he didn't have to try too hard because those abilities and the players around him were superior to most opponents. So he pretty much could goof off and still win and outplay most opponents as evidenced by his current activities. In the pro's things are much different. Everybody is a superior athlete, big, fast, strong. Also lots of them grew up poor and driven. So you get superior athletes that are willing to make the sacrifice to be the best and that's not going to be topped by some priviliged kid with talent who won't put in the work.

Simply, right now Manziel doesn't appear willing to put in the work and effort up to this point. So he's getting the crap beat out of him on the field and his off the field antics make him look stupid. Maybe he wakes up and figures it out, or maybe somebody close to him give him a good slap in the face and he realizes he's wasting this opportunity. Or maybe he follows his current path and he ends up a total bust and a big time loser. It's pretty much up to him to decide if he wants to party or work.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't recall the last time I saw this much venom cast a player's way around here.

Seriously? Wow, either we're reading different threads or you've missed quite a few I've read over the years.

It mostly just seems like variants of "Johnny has talent but comes from too much privilege and has yet to show he wants it enough to put in the work and avoid the distractions"

What happened to Ryan Leaf off the field that relates? I remember him being a high draft pick going to the chargers that kinda flopped rite?

Oh me oh my.

Ryan Leaf became the Poster Boy for "All the talent in the world and no will to work with it"

Key points:

-big star in college (Washington State), Heisman finalist jr year, widely regarded as a pretty sure bet as an NFL QB although perhaps cocky to the point of arrogance

-pre-draft (as a junior), gained a lot of weight between end of junior year and NFL combine. Missed his interview with the Colts. They chose Manning.

-drafted #2 overall by the Chargers, signed to a $31M contract with $11M guaranteed in 1998, Very Big Money at the time

-immediately went into a pattern of showing up when he felt like it - partied all night and yawned through his first presser, missed mandatory meetings, played golf during QB film sessions

-played poorly - fumbles, INT, low completion rate. Benched a couple of times his rookie season.

-blamed his teammates for his mistakes and threw temper tantrums at reporters

-shoulder injury during 1st workout of 2nd season sent him to IR, needed surgery for labral tear. while on IR was suspended and fined for shouting at GM and coaches.

-while on IR/suspended was caught playing flag football at a park (violation of team rules not to mention common sense)

-3rd year, more of the same, cut, signed by 2 or 3 other teams who hoped they could "fix" him, was out of football by age 26

-in 2008, was "put on leave" from a college coaching job for allegedly asking a player for pain pills

-in 2009, started a series of legal problems involving controlled substances, burglary, drug rehab, probation, probation violations etc that spanned 3 years in at least 3 states

-jailed in 2012, released in 2014 on parole.

So you see, when someone says of a guy "he's going the way of Ryan Leaf" they're talking about a flameout of epic proportions - someone who displayed poor work ethics, poor behavior towards others, poor preparation, and squandered his millions to become a drug-addicted felon at a point where his Draft Class rival, Manning, was racking up a decade of 4000+ yd 67%+ completion seasons and heading to the Pro Bowl for the 9th time.

Edited by Hopeful

Seriously? Wow, either we're reading different threads or you've missed quite a few I've read over the years.

It mostly just seems like variants of "Johnny has talent but comes from too much privilege and has yet to show he wants it enough to put in the work and avoid the distractions"

Oh me oh my.

Ryan Leaf became the Poster Boy for "All the talent in the world and no will to work with it"

Key points:

-big star in college (Washington State), Heisman finalist jr year, widely regarded as a pretty sure bet as an NFL QB although perhaps cocky to the point of arrogance

-pre-draft (as a junior), gained a lot of weight between end of junior year and NFL combine. Missed his interview with the Colts. They chose Manning.

-drafted #2 overall by the Chargers, signed to a $31M contract with $11M guaranteed in 1998, Very Big Money at the time

-immediately went into a pattern of showing up when he felt like it - partied all night and yawned through his first presser, missed mandatory meetings, played golf during QB film sessions

-played poorly - fumbles, INT, low completion rate. Benched a couple of times his rookie season.

-blamed his teammates for his mistakes and threw temper tantrums at reporters

-shoulder injury during 1st workout of 2nd season sent him to IR, needed surgery for labral tear. while on IR was suspended and fined for shouting at GM and coaches.

-while on IR/suspended was caught playing flag football at a park (violation of team rules not to mention common sense)

-3rd year, more of the same, cut, signed by 2 or 3 other teams who hoped they could "fix" him, was out of football by age 26

-in 2008, was "put on leave" from a college coaching job for allegedly asking a player for pain pills

-in 2009, started a series of legal problems involving controlled substances, burglary, drug rehab, probation, probation violations etc that spanned 3 years in at least 3 states

-jailed in 2012, released in 2014 on parole.

So you see, when someone says of a guy "he's going the way of Ryan Leaf" they're talking about a flameout of epic proportions - someone who displayed poor work ethics, poor behavior towards others, poor preparation, and squandered his millions to become a drug-addicted felon at a point where his Draft Class rival, Manning, was racking up a decade of 4000+ yd 67%+ completion seasons and heading to the Pro Bowl for the 9th time.

Holy **** dude. I was still a kid at the time, I remember him playing badly but was still too young to be watching the the media pressers or learning about the playing golf during QB film sessions. smh wow...wow...thats a horrible melt down....

The only bigger clowns than Johnny Manziel are people who actually think he has potential. He is Pat White with more hype. But man was that little man good in college!!!

That's an interesting thought, but from here on how about you give yours without resorting to calling folks clowns?

That's an interesting thought, but from here on how about you give yours without resorting to calling folks clowns?

You're right. My bad and my apologizes. But the amount of excuses people give this guy is insane. Even if he had shown legit NFL ability and wasn't very small, he couldn't be doing this stuff.

I'm sure he is just struggling with the affluenza disease. Poor guy.

You're right. My bad and my apologizes. But the amount of excuses people give this guy is insane. Even if he had shown legit NFL ability and wasn't very small, he couldn't be doing this stuff.

I'm sure he is just struggling with the affluenza disease. Poor guy.

I don't now & never have thought he was an NFL talent. At first I thought he was just trying to get out of Cleveland, but, it's too much for that. He doesn't take life seriously so I don't think people should expect him to take the NFL seriously either.

I don't now & never have thought he was an NFL talent. At first I thought he was just trying to get out of Cleveland, but, it's too much for that. He doesn't take life seriously so I don't think people should expect him to take the NFL seriously either.

Agreed. I always worry about guys who peak too early. There is nowhere to go but down. I read an ESPN article on him in college and he just seems like an entitled little Richard. I won't want the guy anywhere near my organization.

The only bigger clowns than Johnny Manziel are people who actually think he has potential. He is Pat White with more hype. But man was that little man good in college!!!

He looked really good when he came into the Bills game a few years ago and led the Browns right down the field.

I know the people in the stands were nervous.

He looked really good when he came into the Bills game a few years ago and led the Browns right down the field.

The game was over and we were in prevent. The next drive he should have had a turnover for a td. He's a gimmick type player.

In short (pun), I'm not a fan of smaller, happy feet Qbs. Also, I think your qb should be the smartest guy on the field. This guy might be one of the dumbest guys on the planet. If a Bills qb did half of the stuff he has done, I'd want them gone.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

The one where he only knew two plays and they called the same two over and over against a Bills D playing prevent?

The Bills adjusted on the sideline he got the ball again tried running the same two plays and got crushed. I still can't see how that was called an incomplete pass and not a sack fumble and defensive touchdown.

EDIT: Pettine said after that game that Manziel didnt know the playbook as well so it wasnt just my perception. It was borne out by his own coach.

Edited by GunnerBill

I can't tell whether your joking or not.

I'm a lot funnier than that.

Manziel did provide an initial spark in enjoying his most significant playing time of the season, and in his first appearance since a 23-21 loss to Baltimore in Week 3. The rookie first-round pick capped an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown run that cut the Bills' lead to 20-10.