Crossman appears safe?

YoloinOhio

Instead, they are releasing an assistant ST coach Michael Hamlin

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-announce-two-departures-on-coaching-staff/82324fb2-12af-4deb-b10b-d4eb3da46d98

Maybe he could be fired later but typically if teams let go of assistants first the coordinator is ok

This is how it goes when the ST are awful.

1) Step 1: fire an assistant

2) Step 2: get more "core" ST players or use more starters on ST

3) Step 3: head coach claims that he will now be more involved in ST

4) Step 4: ST coach is fired

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing is for sure.....there was NO BLOCKING on returns this past year.....none

I would like to know how they are gonna fix that.

That's pretty good. I think I've actually seen this model before!

One thing is for sure.....there was NO BLOCKING on returns this past year.....none

And, a penalty was usually involved as well.

So people are calling for Crossman's head because:

Carpenter sucked.

Our punt returners were incapable of catching the ball too many times.

We still ended up with average ST statistics (take a look at the teams at the very top (DET, CHI, CLE, DAL) and the very bottom (NE, CAR) of those stats, by the way).

I'm no Crossman fan, but let's not pretend he's the reason this team sucked.

Thank you for providing that

You have to admit though....this is a team that used to excel at returns? We have had guys that been in the tops of the league in the past. Or is the league so bad now that getting very little on returns makes actually average? Also what about all the penalties?

Edited by John from Hemet

I don't even post here that much, but I'm honoured that you keep track of me.

Just a suggestion...if you take off the Bills pompoms when typing, you might not make so many dumb spelling mistakes.

Cut the crap with the grammar police antics. Most of us are damn right plenty educated around these parts. Everytime someone starts correcting grammar they sound like a complete fool. People come here for fun and most are pecking from an iphone- lighten up bro

So people are calling for Crossman's head because:

Carpenter sucked.

Our punt returners were incapable of catching the ball too many times.

We still ended up with average ST statistics (take a look at the teams at the very top (DET, CHI, CLE, DAL) and the very bottom (NE, CAR) of those stats, by the way).

I'm no Crossman fan, but let's not pretend he's the reason this team sucked.

I would venture to say the 80 percent of the time illegal block in the back/holding on kick returns may be the reason. But thats just a hunch.

Not to worry, Rob will cast his shadow over the special team units as well.

I say Rob doubles as a ST ace, throws on a banana hammock, shoulder pads, and is the center of the wedge!

Few things ive noticed regarding special teams.

1 - The blocking on kickoffs is tough - and 9/10 its in the endzone. Just keep it there, the extra 3 or 4 yards isnt worth possitbly losing 10 with stupid penalties and poor returns.

2 - Punt coverage - Blocking in the back is ridiculous. Need someone on our staff to directly address this. It ruins good returns, and occaisionally hurts us on bad ones too.

3 - Penalties - Get rid of the ST gunners who keep making these bone headed plays. Basically Ron Brooks, and bench Hogan from returns.

4 - Kickers - Carpenter struggled, and needs to be replaced. No KOS, its a waste of a roster spot (and gameday active spot for a rotational player)

5 - Punters - Schmidts pretty good here. I've read that NFL punters are learning new punt styles and messing with returners ( having balls fall away, knucklers, low kicks, ones that switch field sides). That's actually kind of cool when you think about it, and probably why punt returns have been down all around.

Few things ive noticed regarding special teams.

1 - The blocking on kickoffs is tough - and 9/10 its in the endzone. Just keep it there, the extra 3 or 4 yards isnt worth possitbly losing 10 with stupid penalties and poor returns.

2 - Punt coverage - Blocking in the back is ridiculous. Need someone on our staff to directly address this. It ruins good returns, and occaisionally hurts us on bad ones too.

3 - Penalties - Get rid of the ST gunners who keep making these bone headed plays. Basically Ron Brooks, and bench Hogan from returns.

4 - Kickers - Carpenter struggled, and needs to be replaced. No KOS, its a waste of a roster spot (and gameday active spot for a rotational player)

5 - Punters - Schmidts pretty good here. I've read that NFL punters are learning new punt styles and messing with returners ( having balls fall away, knucklers, low kicks, ones that switch field sides). That's actually kind of cool when you think about it, and probably why punt returns have been down all around.

I do believe Ron is gonna be gone

I thought the same. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Powell's returns in the last game of the year. I don't know what was different-- better blocking or better returner or both?

Except that's pretty much the opposite of what Rex said yesterday.

did you see an overwhelming resemblance to schwartzs schemes last year? it seems the opposite of everything the players complained about as an issue (late play calls, extra packages, more responsibilities, etc... and us complaining that the scheme was too complicated for unintelligent players unlike schwartzs very basic)

i think what rex SAID wasnt totally in line with what rex DID, but will admit that i am not a guy that breaks down the all 22 every week to give a ratio of how often he was calling schwartz type of plays)

Edited by NoSaint

I thought the same. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Powell's returns in the last game of the year. I don't know what was different-- better blocking or better returner or both?

I like a sure handed guy who can break one now and again, over the guy who grabs you 3-10 yards a pop. Just... dont drop it, dont fumble, and dont go backwards. Not that hard, but we have had guys do all 3 this year.

Edited by dneveu

"Hey, let's do the same exact thing with all the same people and expect different results."

True dat! Insanity!!

I don't like Rex. I don't think the moves or non Ives are good with the coaching staff. But, Crossman staying really would really crush my ability to get behind this debacle.

I typically agree, but, Crossman has had tons of STers for two straight years, a lot!!

so everyone says defense failed because of injuries, what about special teams? without consistent special teamers how did we fill the ranks?

yeah, we kept two kickers and both were less than spectacular - in fact very average... yeah.