Favorite Scotch, Whiskey, or Bourbon And How Do You Take It?

I just picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch bourbon at the recommendation of a friend. I've been primarily a scotch guy but I'm looking to branch out a little. I'm looking for some recommendations and curious if the majority take it neat, with water, or ice. While at the liquor store I grabbed an ice cube mold that makes large ice spheres that melt slower than small cubes and looks pretty damn cool. I usually just go neat or with a dash of water, but I can put my balls in guest's drinks if they request it.

Single malt scotch : Balvenie Double Wood, Balvenie Port Wood, Dalwhinnie 15, Oban 14,

Blended Scotch : Famous Grouse, Sheep Dip

Bourbon/Whiskey : Hudson Baby Bourbon, Buffalo Trace

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a scotch/whisky/bourbon fan at all, but I have a group of friends here that are scottish, irish and english, so hanging out with them usually involves them drinking some pretty good stuff, they let me sample and i just can't warm up to it at all. That being said, one i have ordered willingly is a lafroig scotch, has a very distinct 'band-aid' taste. Normally that isn't something that would sound appealing in something you consume(I understand it is a recognized flavor profile), but I kinda like it in that situation.

i'm not a scotch/whisky/bourbon fan at all, but I have a group of friends here that are scottish, irish and english, so hanging out with them usually involves them drinking some pretty good stuff, they let me sample and i just can't warm up to it at all. That being said, one i have ordered willingly is a lafroig scotch, has a very distinct 'band-aid' taste. Normally that isn't something that would sound appealing in something you consume(I understand it is a recognized flavor profile), but I kinda like it in that situation.

Laphroaig is extremely peaty. Usually the only people I see drinking it are hardcore scotch drinkers!

I like whiskey.

Up to about Jameson level of quality, I'll have either neat or with a cube or two of ice. Nice ones either neat or with a splash of water if it's high proof. I think most good whiskey tastes better at room temperature, more flavorful.

Shout out to Evan Williams for being a suprisingly good whiskey at a very low price point.

I like whiskey.

Up to about Jameson level of quality, I'll have either neat or with a cube or two of ice. Nice ones either neat or with a splash of water if it's high proof. I think most good whiskey tastes better at room temperature, more flavorful.

Shout out to Evan Williams for being a suprisingly good whiskey at a very low price point.

Old forester is another cheap whiskey that is pretty good. Edited by Ryan L Billz

I was going to get the whiskey stones. I may end up trying them out if the big ice balls melt too quickly and water down the drinks a lot.

They work great for me. I have some natural stone and some that are stainless. They probably don't chill as much, but no watery booze.

when you say neat, i assume you mean straight up, no water, no ice. my UK friends like to add a single drop(or less) of water, they say it simply breaks the surface tension of the scotch to add to the nose(?) is that accurate or is just kind of a fad thing?

Lagavulin 16, Oban 14, Glenmorangie.

Always neat.

Neat, off the body of a nymphomaniac redhead.

when you say neat, i assume you mean straight up, no water, no ice. my UK friends like to add a single drop(or less) of water, they say it simply breaks the surface tension of the scotch to add to the nose(?) is that accurate or is just kind of a fad thing?

Your friends are idiots. Water has a higher surface tension than alcohol. Alcohol breaks the surface tension of water, not the other way around.

A very small amount of water in scotch is supposed to open up some of the flavors. If you are in Scotland, scotch is served with glass of local spring water, ideally the same water that was used to make the scotch. I don't know the science behind it.

Edited by chknwing334