Rex and the Distractions

Being a head coach in the NFL isn't as difficult or as important or as complicated as everybody else would have you believe. In 39 years, he's slept in the office precisely one time. For that he blames Thursday night football and the Jaguars' long-ago blitzing defense, and regret sneaks into his voice as he talks about it, like someone recounting a fall off the wagon.

"All that sleeping-in-the-office stuff -- guys can only learn so much," he says. "It's all overdone. There's a time to cut it off. If you're spending all night in the office, you don't have either an offense or a defense, and you're looking for somebody else's to steal." -Bruce Arians

This quote came to mind for me immediately as well.

Anyone who questions Rex's commitment to film would be advised to read Collision Low Crossers — it follows the Jets for an entire year (the 2013 season) and you realize just how much time theses guys put into working the film.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who questions Rex's commitment to film would be advised to read Collision Low Crossers — it follows the Jets for an entire year (the 2013 season) and you realize just how much time theses guys put into working the film.

Yep. I read it. Anyone who thinks that Rex doesn't work hard or is stupid, is stupid.

I think the excessive hours worked by coaches is baloney. Using the Bills' and Ravens' 2015 season records as a yardstick would seem to support Rex's approach over Harbaugh's. IMO coaches overthink and over analyze instead of working smart.

If the players were to put in that kind of time, I think it would have more of an affect on performance.

Excessive hours may or may not be baloney, but waitaminnut here - are you actually trying to defend any time away Rex may spend from game planning for our mediocre 8-8 team by pointing at the coach of a team that actually had a worse record this year, but that won the Superbowl the year before that interview segment, and has been to the playoffs what, 10 of the last 15 years?

Yep. I read it. Anyone who thinks that Rex doesn't work hard or is stupid, is stupid.

Agreed. It's possible for people to be funny AND smart.

It's why I think calling for coaching sacrifices are generally misguided. Rex knows what he's doing with defense. His losing records with the Jets were generally due to the offense. We are fortunate to have Tyrod and Shady and Roman. I'm very confident the defense will bounce back with force next year.

It's why I think calling for coaching sacrifices are generally misguided. Rex knows what he's doing with defense. His losing records with the Jets were generally due to the offense. We are fortunate to have Tyrod and Shady and Roman. I'm very confident the defense will bounce back with force next year.

I personally think that Rex was horrible this year, and screwed up the defense. I blame the players to some extent, too, but Rex, to me, had a horrible season. The problem was, however, he wasn't Rex. I'm not sure what he was thinking but he didn't pressure and often didn't blitz OR press, which made no sense. He tried to overthink and be too cute and it was a disaster. But he's not a dumb guy, or ignorant about defense or not putting in the time and work.

thats a bit strong!

But true. but i would never call someone else stupid and you should not either. even if they are :devil:

That's the difference between you and I. :beer: If you don't tell stupid people when they are being stupid they will continue to be stupid. And if they are not really stupid, but normally unstupid people just being stupid, the same applies.

I personally think that Rex was horrible this year, and screwed up the defense. I blame the players to some extent, too, but Rex, to me, had a horrible season. The problem was, however, he wasn't Rex. I'm not sure what he was thinking but he didn't pressure and often didn't blitz OR press, which made no sense. He tried to overthink and be too cute and it was a disaster. But he's not a dumb guy, or ignorant about defense or not putting in the time and work.

That's the difference between you and I. :beer: If you don't tell stupid people when they are being stupid they will continue to be stupid. And if they are not really stupid, but normally unstupid people just being stupid, the same applies.

LA had a nice post for sure!

But if stupid people cant unstupid themselves, what purpose does its serve to stupidize them in front of other stupid people like me?

Some of us cant be fixed. and we still want to be on the 53.

How about I just block real good?

I think Rex would agree with you that he was horrible this year and screwed up this defense, for whatever that's worth. This season was his worst year statistically for a defense and it wasn't for lack of talent.

It seemed like a bad, prolonged meshing period. I think your theory here as well in your thread about the playbook make sense. Veterans like Mario have had a different coordinator every year since being here. The defense would've been better off with continuity but that ship sailed when the Pegulas chose Rex, or more specifically when Schwartz resigned after meeting with Rex. But starting over doesn't do anything but set everything back once again so staying with Rex, at this point, is the best move. He's a smart defensive mind and he'll figure it out. I think.

LA had a nice post for sure!

But if stupid people cant unstupid themselves, what purpose does its serve to stupidize them in front of other stupid people like me?

Some of us cant be fixed. and we still want to be on the 53.

How about I just block real good?

:lol: Well, that just proves you're unstupid, so stop doing stupid things like trying to act stupid.

:lol: Well, that just proves you're unstupid, so stop doing stupid things like trying to act stupid.

:beer: dont tell me what not to do. i will do as i see fit. no matter how wrong it might appear

Edited by 3rdand12

What you call OVER-thinking I call STUPID-thinking! If what you are doing is not working then stop doing it. Common sense 101.

You said he wasn't serious and agreed with others that he wasn't putting in the time and was distracted, and in other posts you inferred he doesn't know defense. I simple countered with, if anything he spent too much time thinking about it and changing what he knows worked before. That surely was not smart in retrospect because it didn't work.

You said he wasn't serious and agreed with others that he wasn't putting in the time and was distracted, and in other posts you inferred he doesn't know defense. I simple countered with, if anything he spent too much time thinking about it and changing what he knows worked before. That surely was not smart in retrospect because it didn't work.

I never said he wasn't putting in the time. I have said that his conduct at the podium and his incessant blustering was embarrassing, especially considering how his team performed. Talking big and producing small are not a good combination.

Distractions? These guys are professional. If rex is a distraction maybe they should be in a different line of work.

There's a good chance he'll be in broadcasting soon enough. Another bad year on defense and that should be his best option. He DOES love the camera!

I think every style can succeed. Pete Carroll is very laid back and was like that at USC too. He doesn't put a muzzle on his players. He's one of the guys. Arians is the same. Obviously you have tightly wound guys like Belichik and Tomlin.

The parachute thing was in the offseason; the dog bone was for charity and took about 20 seconds. I thought Rex was clown in NY and I still do, but I don't see it impacting whether he's a good or bad HC. None of his little antics make me question how much work he puts into his job. It's just who he is.

I dunno Yolo. The parachute thing was between OTAs and training camp, and I guess it's good that Rex took his own advice to take some time away from football. But part of me is "hmmm, is there some football activity that would give the team an advantage he could be doing?

No way the dog bone took 20 seconds. To eat the thing on camera, yeah, but you know there were multiple phone calls setting the thing up and time spent setting up the cameras and so forth.

You may be right that none of his shenanigans really take away from his coaching, and maybe especially off-season shenanigans. On the other hand, there's the product. If he were putting a team on the field that seemed disciplined and prepared and if he seemed ready and able to make coaching adjustments, I'd be like "pfft, it's Rex" about the TV show and whatever all else. But he's not, and that makes me question.

On the third hand, maybe he puts in as much time as he humanly can and still function and focus, and his best just isn't good enough :cry:

It's possible to be both funny and smart. But funny smart people who are focused and put in maximum effort generally accomplish more than funny smart distracted people who dilute their efforts.

As for saying "his losing records with the Jets were generally due to the offense..." you know Rex was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator, right? Offensive failures fall on his watch, too.

I dunno Yolo. The parachute thing was between OTAs and training camp, and I guess it's good that Rex took his own advice to take some time away from football. But part of me is "hmmm, is there some football activity that would give the team an advantage he could be doing?

No way the dog bone took 20 seconds. To eat the thing on camera, yeah, but you know there were multiple phone calls setting the thing up and time spent setting up the cameras and so forth.

You may be right that none of his shenanigans really take away from his coaching, and maybe especially off-season shenanigans. On the other hand, there's the product. If he were putting a team on the field that seemed disciplined and prepared and if he seemed ready and able to make coaching adjustments, I'd be like "pfft, it's Rex" about the TV show and whatever all else. But he's not, and that makes me question.

On the third hand, maybe he puts in as much time as he humanly can and still function and focus, and his best just isn't good enough :cry:

It's possible to be both funny and smart. But funny smart people who are focused and put in maximum effort generally accomplish more than funny smart distracted people who dilute their efforts.

As for saying "his losing records with the Jets were generally due to the offense..." you know Rex was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator, right? Offensive failures fall on his watch, too.

He doesn't and didn't draft or sign the players. He had a terrible rookie QB with a lust to drop the ball, two pretty good receivers, a barely average TE and an aging RB. They were in the bottom four in the league four years in a row I think. He had about as much influence on the offense as Marrone did on the Bills defense, which is minimal.

That would be a great name for a rock band, wouldn't it? Rex and the Distractions?

I know that the NFL requires HC to make themselves available to the media. It's part of the job.

Would anyone else, though, like to see Rex Ryan trim back the distractions in his 2nd year? Stop with the TV show and appearances where he eats dog biscuits and goes skydiving with the Golden Knights and all of that stuff.

What I feel is that being an NFL HC is really a demanding, all consuming job for the successful HCs. ESPN published A Week in the Life of John Harbaugh in 2013, the year after the Ravens won the Superbowl. And it's nuts. The guy schedules 15-45 minutes a day to call his wife and eat lunch with his wife and kid. He sleeps on the office couch half the week. He works 17 1/2 hr days.

So now, let's say for a minute that Rex Ryan and John Harbaugh are just as smart about football. Harbaugh isn't taking time away from game prep to prepare for, tape, and maybe edit or approve, a weekly TV show. Harbaugh also has a legit OC and DC sharing the game planning and workload.

If Ryan is trying to be HC as well as DC, and then taking time out for extra activities like taping TV shows, doesn't that place him automatically at a competitive disadvantage?

Yes! Agree!! It is just factual, there is only 24 hours on a day, 7 days in a week and 52 weeks a year. And, Rex doesn't use the time wisely at all! So, UNLESS he is sooo much better than the other coaches he is coaching against OR changes his time management he will lose more than he wins in any given season. Or luck plays a large part randomly we can't win.

Rex's only two winning seasons were his first two. Then he thought he was a celebrity before he was a coach. Unless that changes...insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.... He will not be successful with consistency.

I don't think Rex or his ego can change.

I hope I am wrong!!

I think every style can succeed. Pete Carroll is very laid back and was like that at USC too. He doesn't put a muzzle on his players. He's one of the guys. Arians is the same. Obviously you have tightly wound guys like Belichik and Tomlin.

The parachute thing was in the offseason; the dog bone was for charity and took about 20 seconds. I thought Rex was clown in NY and I still do, but I don't see it impacting whether he's a good or bad HC. None of his little antics make me question how much work he puts into his job. It's just who he is.

If he spent 10 hours less a week being clown or blow hard or picking captains or saying Thurman is a HC candidate or working the media, yada yada, yada and spent it on game planning that is the difference between a score on O or D....that is the difference between winning or losing weekly.

Rex doesn't get it or doesn't care.

Unable? Unwilling? Or unemployed!?

His ego stops him from doing his job. Walk the walk. Don't talk the talk.