For Everyone Who Wanted Rex Fired...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stability is critical. The Pegulas made the right decision in maintaining that. I didn't think Rex was the right fit for what we had here defensively, but he's here now so Whaley has to now get him the players he needs to be successful.

I don't think I said he did a good coaching job; I said he did some things that impressed me and I saw growth.

The Bills hired a veteran head coach when they hired Rex. The expectation of growing into the job for a new HC without prior experience is a reasonable approach to take. But when you hire someone with six years experience as a HC you should expect less fluctuations and a smaller learning curve to contend with.

I agree with you to a certain extent that going to a new team requires an adjustment period for the new coaching staff and the players. But the fundamental problem I have with this braggart HC is he is inherently too immature and undisciplined as a person and as a coach. After observing how he coach this team this year he has demonstrated to me that he is incapable of being thoughtful enough to adequately adjust in an environment of rapid changes requiring quick decisions. I'm not saying he is stupid but I am saying he is not smart enough.

The Rex Ryan that coached the Bills last year is the Rex Ryan that we hired. Can he improve as a coach with the Bills.? Yes. But in my view he will not be anything other than a mediocre coach. You may be satisfied with that---but I am not.

Stability is critical. The Pegulas made the right decision in maintaining that. I didn't think Rex was the right fit for what we had here defensively, but he's here now so Whaley has to now get him the players he needs to be successful.

Pegs can be accused of moving too slow but I think he gives people a full chance before swinging the axe. With the Sabres he gave Lindy and Darcy the benefit of the doubt by opening the checkbook in free agency before deciding on the complete rebuild. I think the same applies here.

We have come to an accord. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but when they hired Rex, I felt more comfortable with a proven defensive HC than an unproven coordinator looking for his first shot. I know Jackson did that brief stint in Oakland, but not a lot of positive stuff could have been gleaned from it.

Looking at the sans-Rex pool in early 2015, I thought Jackson was the best of the bunch. I never thought for a second that Rex was a possibility. Then--all of a sudden--he was our coach.

The Bills hired a veteran head coach when they hired Rex. The expectation of growing into the job for a new HC without prior experience is a reasonable approach to take. But when you hire someone with six years experience as a HC you should expect less fluctuations and a smaller learning curve to contend with.

I agree with you to a certain extent that going to a new team requires an adjustment period for the new coaching staff and the players. But the fundamental problem I have with this braggart HC is he is inherently too immature and undisciplined as a person and as a coach. After observing how he coach this team this year he has demonstrated to me that he is incapable of being thoughtful enough to adequately adjust in an environment of rapid changes requiring quick decisions. I'm not saying he is stupid but I am saying he is not smart enough.

The Rex Ryan that coached the Bills last year is the Rex Ryan that we hired. Can he improve as a coach with the Bills.? Yes. But in my view he will not be anything other than a mediocre coach. You may be satisfied with that---but I am not.

This, pretty much.

I think that's what drives much of the coaching carousel. All the owners want a guy who will take their team and immediately make it better with minimal learning curve or delay. So they try to get a guy who failed to do that somewhere else, hoping he learned from his mistakes or had a mean, nasty GM who didn't get him the right groceries or was held back by cheap-ass crazy ownership or some other mitigating factor. Only it turns out that "wherever you go...there you are!"

On the "Crazy Ownership" Pass Card Pettine should go to the top of the list.

Looking at the sans-Rex pool in early 2015, I thought Jackson was the best of the bunch. I never thought for a second that Rex was a possibility. Then--all of a sudden--he was our coach.

I thought Jackson was the best of the bunch all the way though - and was the best fit for this team and where we were.

JohnC, I believe Rex is a HC who needs to have the right people around him to succeed. He's not a "do everything" guy, but with the right support system and staff in place I think a lot of knowledgeable football people have the opinion he is much more than just a mediocre coach. You've drawn some pretty strong conclusions I don't believe are necessarily fair.

JohnC, I believe Rex is a HC who needs to have the right people around him to succeed. He's not a "do everything" guy, but with the right support system and staff in place I think a lot of knowledgeable football people have the opinion he is much more than just a mediocre coach. You've drawn some pretty strong conclusions I don't believe are necessarily fair.

It's tough to plead the case or at least have a meaningful discussion when a guy with a decade's-long reputation for being a defensive mastermind was so quickly dismissed my fans--in less than one season--as a bumbling buffoon.

LAWD!

Are you seeing the names of potential "candidates?"

This might be the shallowest coaching pool yet.

I'm not saying one of the dozens of coordinators getting plucked for interviews won't turn out to be the next great HC, but let's be real.

With Smith fired in TB, it's the fourth consecutive year with seven coaching vaccines in the NFL, but only the second time the Bills aren't mired in the scrum.

Looking at the present supply and demand, I'm sure glad we got our guy.

ABR. Vaccines? Damn auto-correct.

Well they went 3-0 against rookie head coaches in their division this year so you must not be very pizzed.

This year was a bit of an anomaly in that regard, and I give Rex credit for not losing to rookie NFL HCs as we have done so often in the past. :beer:

Where's Joe Gibbs when you need him?

I think he's still running his race car team. His last stint in DC was an abject disaster and an object lesson on how living in the past is a thing of the past.

Yes, I agree. And I think he has some jamokes on his staff that should have better football people manning them. To Promo's point, he should have a game manager assistant to help him oversee the entire game including clock management, and challenges. And for God's sake, can he find a way to get the damned Defensive signals into the players on the field in time for them to set up and do their friggin' jobs?

OK, so who are all the awful candidates that make the Rex pick last year look so attractive by comparison that we should be happy he wasn't fired?

Lovie Smith, Tomesula, Pettine were all very solid fires.

Why was Lovie a solid fire? He had the worst team (2-14) in the league in 2014. In 2015 he won 6 games and it looked like the team was headed in the right direction.

It's tough to plead the case or at least have a meaningful discussion when a guy with a decade's-long reputation for being a defensive mastermind was so quickly dismissed my fans--in less than one season--as a bumbling buffoon.

Well that's what happens when you lose 9 games with a playoff team.

I don't understand your position. It is perplexing. He was hired to coach the Bills roster. He wasn't hired to coach a future team and a different roster that at a later time would be more suitable to him. Do you think that in his interview for the job that the glib talking coach told his future bosses that his highly ranked defense had to be de-constructed because it didn't align with his philosophy? Of course not.

The fundamental job for coaches in all sports is to put their players in position to succeed. That entails devising a system that maximizes the players assets and minimizes their weaknesses. That is so basic and fundamental to the job.

JohnC, I believe Rex is a HC who needs to have the right people around him to succeed

Your statement and point is what I am lamenting about. Instead of adapting to what he had to work with he in essence sabotaged the season so at a later time he might be able to do a better job with a different set of players. That is not good coaching. That is stupid coaching. That doesn't even qualify as being mediocre.

You may not believe that I am being fair but I believe that I am more than being fair because I am basing my view on his record with the Jets (an extended tenure) and with his performance as a first year HC with Buffalo.

Edited by JohnC

OK, so who are all the awful candidates that make the Rex pick last year look so attractive by comparison that we should be happy he wasn't fired?

Lovie Smith, Tomesula, Pettine were all very solid fires.

If you read the back story on the Lovie Smith 86, it was arguably not a solid fire ....

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/7/10728474/lovie-smith-fired-buccaneers-dolphins-dirk-koetter