Ken Griffey, Jr and Mike Piazza Elected to Cooperstown

26CornerBlitz

Wow I never seen that article & I am a big Piazza fan. Still I think there is a big difference using something you can get over the counter & the stuff Bonds & guys like that was using.

HUGE difference.

And to answer Beerball's question ... I think those who blatantly cheated - especially the ones who lied about it - will not get in. I think that percentages will go up little by little, but these guys are going to have to wait a very long time to get what they need to enter the hall.

Piazza's "link" to steroids (not the GNC stuff in 2002) was nothing but speculation. Big guy, hit lots of homers ... of course that speculation will be there. But he was never on any "list," nor did he ever fail a test. That's why he got 83% of the vote and he's in the hall now.

So I think guys like Piazza ...those who people "guess" took steroids, but never got caught ... those guys will have somewhat of an easier time garnering necessary votes.

But let's not forget ... Piazza is arguably the greatest hitting catcher of all time with a .308 lifetime average whilst hitting for power. And the knocks on his defense are really not warranted. He was durable, professional and great at what he did. That's why he got in.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they most likely didn't vote for him for the simple reason that "no player has ever been unanimously elected." Does that seem to be a legit reason to you?

The only reason I've ever heard given for these omissions, is that writers know the guy is going to get in with or without their vote, and given the crowding on the ballot these days, and the fact that they can only vote for 10 players, they use that spot to give a vote to a player they feel is deserving who needs more help than someone who they know will get more than 90% of the vote.

Does Piazza "open the door" for suspected PEDers? It's not a deal breaker for me, but, it seemed to be for many writers.

Clemens and Bonds received almost 50% of the vote this time around, and several writers have written articles about "why they changed their minds, and voted for Clemens and Bonds", so I'd say that yes, the winds are changing for them.

I have very fond memories of piazza. Still remember watching his first game as a Met. He laced an opposite field triple.

Biggest douche in the entire world of sports. He should never get in. In my humble opinion.

My very favorite Mike Piazza moment was in the World Series game following his beaning when he first faced Clemens. Using a broken bat that exploded toward the mound on the first pitch he swung at, he started a near riot.

Clemens will never be a Yankee to me.

My very favorite Mike Piazza moment was in the World Series game following his beaning when he first faced Clemens. Using a broken bat that exploded toward the mound on the first pitch he swung at, he started a near riot.

Clemens will never be a Yankee to me.

I still wish Piazza had picked up that bat and stabbed that !@#$ing scumbag Clemens in the neck with it.

The baseball HOF is a joke. It was bad enough when they apparently slapped a morals clause on entry (God knows Ty Cobb and others wouldn't stand a chance with the estrogen based life forms that cast the ballots now), but when they shafted Dale Murphy that was it for me.

Edited by Rob's House

I still wish Piazza had picked up that bat and stabbed that !@#$ing scumbag Clemens in the neck with it.

Life is stranger than fiction. There was so much hype for that showdown. What are the odds of first pitch, bat splitting, roid rage? I am a big Yankees fan, and thought if Piazza charged the mound, the Mets would of ran to his defense, and it would have been a much different series. Once Piazza laid down, the Mets had no shot IMO

Clemens would have beaten his ass.

It would have been ugly. No one !@#$ed with Roger

The baseball HOF is a joke. It was bad enough when they apparently slapped a morals clause on entry (God knows Ty Cobb and others wouldn't stand a chance with the estrogen based life forms that cast the ballots now), but when they shafted Dale Murphy that was it for me.

Someone always has to be the best player not to be in.

Murphy is a pretty good line in the sand.

It would have been ugly. No one !@#$ed with Roger

I'm a life long, die hard, Sox fan. As a kid I used to sneak into the park with frequency.

No one !@#$ed with Roger. Well, Rice sometimes, but Rice was a lunatic.

Roger would have murdered Piazza.

Someone always has to be the best player not to be in.

Murphy is a pretty good line in the sand.

I'm a life long, die hard, Sox fan. As a kid I used to sneak into the park with frequency.

No one !@#$ed with Roger. Well, Rice sometimes, but Rice was a lunatic.

Roger would have murdered Piazza.

no one !@#$ed with Rice either. It is good advice not to !@#$ with a man that breaks a bat on a checked swing. Also, no one !@#$ed with Strawberry or Sheffield either. It is the Sabres hockey fan in me. I love enforcers in all sports. Carwell Gardner is one of my all time favorite Bills

no one !@#$ed with Rice either. It is good advice not to !@#$ with a man that breaks a bat on a checked swing. Also, no one !@#$ed with Strawberry or Sheffield either. It is the Sabres hockey fan in me. I love enforcers in all sports. Carwell Gardner is one of my all time favorite Bills

Fisk !@#$ed with Rice.

Dale Murphy's career stats were borderline HOF worthy at best, in my opinion. Lifetime .265 batting average with less than 400 HRs isn't going to cut it.

The only reason I've ever heard given for these omissions, is that writers know the guy is going to get in with or without their vote, and given the crowding on the ballot these days, and the fact that they can only vote for 10 players, they use that spot to give a vote to a player they feel is deserving who needs more help than someone who they know will get more than 90% of the vote.

OK, I'll ask again, are any of those legit reasons to not vote for the best? (Hint...the answer is "no")