Ken Griffey, Jr and Mike Piazza Elected to Cooperstown

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 3 that didn't vote for Griffey Jr. should lose their voting privileges.

Honestly, how can you vote against Griffey. Five tool player, was exceptional at everything. When Jeter & Mo are elected there will be one or 2 idiots that vote against them. I almost feel like the voters have a side deal that one or 2 always vote no so noone gets 100% of the votes & that keep that record intact.

I have very fond memories of piazza. Still remember watching his first game as a Met. He laced an opposite field triple.

Nobody hit for power opposite field like Piazza. His balls to right center looked like they were shot out of a cannon. I was at Shea in the late 90's on a saturday afternoon. It was late in the year & Mets were a few games behind Atlanta. They were playing the Cards. Piazza's first at bat he hit a ball to right center that got out of the park in about 3 seconds & when hit half way up the scoreboard it looked like it was still going up in the air. Unreal.

I get that kind of...i wonder if they were ny writers that are waiting for jeter to get in....and as much as i love jeter and the yankees....i think griffey jr was far and away an all around much better player...jeter has more mystique going for him and his chances to be the first unanimous winner

Because they most likely didn't vote for him for the simple reason that "no player has ever been unanimously elected." Does that seem to be a legit reason to you?

I get that kind of...i wonder if they were ny writers that are waiting for jeter to get in....and as much as i love jeter and the yankees....i think griffey jr was far and away an all around much better player...jeter has more mystique going for him and his chances to be the first unanimous winner

Griffey is 1000x the baseball player Jeter was. I bet Jeter gets between 90-92%. He shouldn't be any closer to unanimous, IMO. But he should be a 1st ballot guy.

kirkjian(?) on espn said this morning that a lot of the writers are younger and cut their teeth during the ped era and pretty much admitted that they were a part of the whole problem(ie closing their eyes to the issue while building up the sosa/bonds/mcquire brady anderson long ball hoopla...he feels that this could lead to some softened stances, and personally, i can't say as that really bothers me....the fans were calling for it, the players responded and we kept asking for more....it's a tough situation.

Does Piazza "open the door" for suspected PEDers? It's not a deal breaker for me, but, it seemed to be for many writers.

Does Piazza "open the door" for suspected PEDers? It's not a deal breaker for me, but, it seemed to be for many writers.

I still think the writers are holidng it against certain players by evidence of Bonds/Clemens only getting 40% votes. Everything else being equal withouth the steroid implications those 2 guys are no doubt 1st ballot slam dunk guys.

Also, Piazza's name gets thrown into the conversation but he has never been linked to PED use. Bonds & Clemens have.

Piazza absolutely is linked to PED's and he admitted to it

http://www.metstoday.com/10592/14-15-offseason/mike-piazza-admitted-taking-peds/

I still think the writers are holidng it against certain players by evidence of Bonds/Clemens only getting 40% votes. Everything else being equal withouth the steroid implications those 2 guys are no doubt 1st ballot slam dunk guys.

Also, Piazza's name gets thrown into the conversation but he has never been linked to PED use. Bonds & Clemens have.

Piazza absolutely is linked to PED's and he admitted to it

http://www.metstoday.com/10592/14-15-offseason/mike-piazza-admitted-taking-peds/

Wow I never seen that article & I am a big Piazza fan. Still I think there is a big difference using something you can get over the counter & the stuff Bonds & guys like that was using.

the whole thing is definitely a slippery slope. I don't necessarily hold it against the players. As a fan, I loved the long ball and i can't pretend i didn't think there was funny stuff going on. You still have to hit the ball.....

Wow I never seen that article & I am a big Piazza fan. Still I think there is a big difference using something you can get over the counter & the stuff Bonds & guys like that was using.

the whole thing is definitely a slippery slope. I don't necessarily hold it against the players. As a fan, I loved the long ball and i can't pretend i didn't think there was funny stuff going on. You still have to hit the ball.....

Yeah I hear ya, I thought it was kind of annoying though when guys like Brady Anderson would hit 50 hrs in a season. When I was a kid following the Mets Strawberry one year hit 27 hrs & he was third in the national League.

Honestly, how can you vote against Griffey. Five tool player, was exceptional at everything. When Jeter & Mo are elected there will be one or 2 idiots that vote against them. I almost feel like the voters have a side deal that one or 2 always vote no so noone gets 100% of the votes & that keep that record intact.

Nobody hit for power opposite field like Piazza. His balls to right center looked like they were shot out of a cannon. I was at Shea in the late 90's on a saturday afternoon. It was late in the year & Mets were a few games behind Atlanta. They were playing the Cards. Piazza's first at bat he hit a ball to right center that got out of the park in about 3 seconds & when hit half way up the scoreboard it looked like it was still going up in the air. Unreal.

Clearly, but so what?

You could make an argument that half the HOF should have been 100% first ballot guys, including both Junior and Piazza -- was there really any question that the best hitting catcher of all time didn't belong in the HOF? But that's not how they do it; they reserve 1st ballot for really special guys and make other guys wait a few years, so that's the deal and everyone knows it. And if they want to have their symbolism that no one was perfect so no one gets 100%, I don't really care.

Agreed on Piazza, very happy to see him included this year. Also happy to see Raines and Bagwell put in position for next year.

Agree. I think he is hands down the best "opposite field" hitter ever.