Middle Class Now A Minority?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/09/459087477/the-tipping-point-most-americans-no-longer-are-middle-class

Americans have long lived in a nation made up primarily of middle-class families, neither rich nor poor, but comfortable enough. This year, that changed, according to the Pew Research Center.A just-released analysis of government data shows that as of 2015, middle-income households have become the minority. The trend is so firmly established that it may well continue; Americans have experienced "a demographic shift that could signal a tipping point," Pew researchers concluded Wednesday.Thanks to factory closings and other economic factors, the country now has 120.8 million adults living in middle-income households, the study found. That compares with the 121.3 million who are living in either upper- or lower-income households.

Aside from "Obama bad"

Any thoughts on this?

My thought is that without knowing how the definition of "middle income" or "middle class" changes over time, it's a meaningless statement.

Well that and the fact that at 49.9% vs 29% for lower income and 21.1% upper income puts them in the solid majority. :wallbash:

My thought is that without knowing how the definition of "middle income" or "middle class" changes over time, it's a meaningless statement.

I think it also leaves out facts like the better quality of automobiles which means more used cars, which means more people have cars.

I think it also leaves out facts like the better quality of automobiles which means more used cars, which means more people have cars.

Do you agree that according to the chart provided in your link that the middle class is in the solid majority?

It also gives lazy idiots another chance to use the worst expression ever: "tipping point". What the !@#$ is going to tip as a result of a couple of tenths of a percent in some made up statistic?

Edited by KD in CT

You just can't help yourself, can you? You have to post something irretrievably dense.

You just can't help yourself, can you? You have to post something irretrievably dense.

To a retard, everything seems strange. And you are a retard, so...

Do you agree that according to the chart provided in your link that the middle class is in the solid majority?

I might have to agree with that. And thinking back to the 70's, I can't imagine we are not better off today

To a retard, everything seems strange. And you are a retard, so...

I might have to agree with that. And thinking back to the 70's, I can't imagine we are not better off today

You might have to agree with that?? So you might think that 50% is greater than 29% and 21%. You can't combine the 29% and 21%. They are completely different groups. :wallbash:

Can't you agree that what you posted (link and thread title and OP) are absolute crap?

Material wealth isn't important? Stop digging....

"Used cars" is your measure of "material wealth?" And "material wealth" is your measure of middle class? You completely ignore income, types of labor, discretionary spending, aspiration, age, education, and race?

You simpleton.

All Americans are rich. They all have cell phones and cable/satellite TV. No one unwillingly dies from hunger and starvation. We own more guns per capita than any other nation. We make methane gas from our refuse dumps. It's a far cry from when we had no birds because, they'd been eaten.