Cordy's Big Deal: How Much Will He Get?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say we do cut Mario this offseason, when would we be finally free of his contract?

CBF

http://overthecap.com/player/mario-williams/246/

It'll all be accounted for in 2016 (unless they designate him as a post June 1st cut, which is very doubtful). $7M in dead money, $12.9M cap savings in 2016, no charges after. He's got a roster bonus so I'd wager that he'll be on the trade block up until that day.

Does having 1 kidney factor into this at all?

You'd think there'd be some trepidation based on chances of a career ending injury happening. That might affect the contract structure in some way. It's also a good reason why the team would have held off on a new contract. They wanted to see how he came back and performed before investing a lot into him.

Vic is reporting that if Cordy's kidney doesn't perform next year he is gone.

That's hilarious! Edited by BarleyNY

Don't want to sound mean, but you make a good point. I have got to think there is some risk there that will affect his contract value.

It will just affect how much is guaranteed IMO. Won't affect his overall value, but rather they will build in ways to get out if he has issues with his health.

Mathis also came on the market after the initial FA period, when teams had less money to spend or had already made roster moves to bring in OL. His All Pro season was in 2013, also, although he did make the Pro Bowl in 2014.

Last year, 3 Gs in their 31/32 year old season signed new contracts before or during FA(all were re-signs/re-negotiations):

Marshall Yanda: 4 years, 32 mil, 8/yr, 56% GTD

Jahri Evans: 3 years, 18 mil, 6/yr, 50% GTD

Ben Grubbs: 2 years, 10 mil, 5/tr, 50% GTD

Yanda is widely regarded as one of the best Gs in football and has made multiple Pro Bowls and is a 2 time All Pro so he is in another tier altogether. Evans and Grubbs both renegotiated contracts against their previous deals as they were both under contract with years left so I think they are overpaid a tad each.

Now Richie will be 33 at the beginning of next year while these 3 are a bit younger. Mathis will be 35. I think Richie is looking at something like a 2-3 yr deal, roughly 4.5/yr, with 50% GTD, with the idea being they will cut him/restructure in the last year, trying to keep his cap numbers lower in years 1 and 2.

Good point and to add that OG Mathis isn't a power-blocking mauler. His game is best suited for a zone-blocking scheme, which limits the pool of suitors. The Broncos under new HC Gary Kubiak run a zone blocking scheme.

I would like to see us keep both Cordy and Richie, but understand that Cordy may receive a much bigger offer then the Bills can afford. If Cordy's asking price is too high, and we can sign Mitchell Schwartz, what about doing that? Schwartz graded out as the best RT in the NFL. He probably will be much cheaper then Cordy. We could resign Richie, and draft a LT in first round(Decker, Conklin) and go with rookie LT, Richie, Wood, Miller, and Schwartz- and devote the rest of draft picks and cap space to defense

The issue with Gilmore is we can probably lower his hit for 2016 by renegotiating and extending now.

two way street right there though?

Vic is reporting that if Cordy's kidney doesn't perform next year he is gone.

source?

I would like to see us keep both Cordy and Richie, but understand that Cordy may receive a much bigger offer then the Bills can afford. If Cordy's asking price is too high, and we can sign Mitchell Schwartz, what about doing that? Schwartz graded out as the best RT in the NFL. He probably will be much cheaper then Cordy. We could resign Richie, and draft a LT in first round(Decker, Conklin) and go with rookie LT, Richie, Wood, Miller, and Schwartz- and devote the rest of draft picks and cap space to defense

aarghh.

just sign the guy,

He has done everything asked of him and under duress, quietly.

what is the point if you cannot reward a player for hard work for your team.

i ended the last question with a period on purpose

but understand that Cordy may receive a much bigger offer then the Bills can afford.

He won't receive an offer that is much larger then they "can afford".

They can make tons of cap space if necessary.

It's not about how much they can "afford"......it's about what they deem acceptable.........two different things.

Does having 1 kidney factor into this at all?

I guess it probably should. But, maybe just a health clause would do.

LT is a critical position, Glenn has to be re-signed at least until they find a valid replacement like a drafted player.

True Dat! Hopefully $10 M per season.

do something short like the nate solder deal. he got 2 years 20 mil with about 19 guaranteed. do 3 years 30 mil 27 guaranteed.

Something like that would be GREAT!