Re: Who takes the bullet??

JTO

Okay, obviously we didn't make the playoffs because our defense was terrible. However, someone has got to pay. Players complained about Dennis Thurmond, but Wrecks didn't do anything about it during the season. My question to you guys is, shouldn't Dennis get canned? If not, who do you think should take the bullet. Someone has got to go. I vote Dennis out.

I don't like the premise that somebody needs to be fired. First you have to determine why it didn't work. If the problem is the inability of a coach to do his job properly then replace him. But if that's not the problem it seems stupid to fire someone just to say you did.

If Rex's defense is so complicated, we need to keep anyone that can help teach it. Can Jimmy Leonard coach?

Not that I think someone needs to be fired but I think Mario will be the fall guy to help bring hype to next season. They can label it he didn't buy in, yada, yada, yada.

If Rex's defense is so complicated, we need to keep anyone that can help teach it. Can Jimmy Leonard coach?

Not that I think someone needs to be fired but I think Mario will be the fall guy to help bring hype to next season. They can label it he didn't buy in, yada, yada, yada.

Whether Mario bought in or not is not the damning issue. Even his over sized contract isn't what will get him jettisoned from the team. His salary can be renegotiated. What disqualifies him from returning is his lack of effort and basically quitting on the team. I agree with the plaer that Rex's approach to the defense was not the best approach to take. But because there is a philosophical disagreement with what the coaches wanted him to do doesn't mean his effort should be lackluster.

Rex Ryan allowed Mario to stay on the field even when it was apparent that he wasn't giving his best effort. A good coach in control of his team would have yanked the slacker off the field and sit him down. A coach in command would then have not allowed him to dress for the next game. That would be a demonstration to the recalcitrant player and the rest of the team that that poisonous attitude was not going to be tolerated.

The question really should be is Rex willing to dispose of a token defensive coordinator, step aside from calling the primary defensive shots, and bring in someone with authority to install a logical defensive scheme geared to the strengths of the players at hand? Ryan's bull headed "pound a square peg into a round hole" approach not only doesn't work but says a lot about his general deficiencies as a head coach.

Whether Mario bought in or not is not the damning issue. Even his over sized contract isn't what will get him jettisoned from the team. His salary can be renegotiated. What disqualifies him from returning is his lack of effort and basically quitting on the team. I agree with the plaer that Rex's approach to the defense was not the best approach to take. But because there is a philosophical disagreement with what the coaches wanted him to do doesn't mean his effort should be lackluster.

Rex Ryan allowed Mario to stay on the field even when it was apparent that he wasn't giving his best effort. A good coach in control of his team would have yanked the slacker off the field and sit him down. A coach in command would then have not allowed him to dress for the next game. That would be a demonstration to the recalcitrant player and the rest of the team that that poisonous attitude was not going to be tolerated.

Recalcitrant:

adjective
  1. 1.
    having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline.
    "a class of recalcitrant fifteen-year-olds"
noun
  1. 1.
    a person with an obstinately uncooperative attitude.
    Yup, all these describe Mario. Good word Johnny, I'm using it from now on.
    My biggest issue with the guy is that he couldn't beat anybody this year. He only dropped about 25% of his plays, the rest of the time he was mostly singled up against a freaking right tackle and he still was less than average out there. Looked old, slow and very much like someone who belongs playing for the raiders or the redskins.

He had three nice years for us. Thanks.

See ya never Mario.

Okay, obviously we didn't make the playoffs because our defense was terrible. However, someone has got to pay. Players complained about Dennis Thurmond, but Wrecks didn't do anything about it during the season. My question to you guys is, shouldn't Dennis get canned? If not, who do you think should take the bullet. Someone has got to go. I vote Dennis out.

Mario