Browns hire Paul DePodesta from Mets to run team

YoloinOhio

@joelsherman1

I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

@afc2nfc

DePodesta is of Moneyball fame. With Sashi Brown's promotion, clearly the Browns are invested in trying an analytic approach

He was the Jonah Hill character I think

can't hurt, anything has to be better than what the Browns have been doing. Curious to see if he can work in the NFL.

@caplannfl

#Browns are officially an analytics scouting department. I hope it works for them. Could adjust how teams view personnel if it does.

who runs our analytics department

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya think

Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN 12m12 minutes ago

Joe Banner said on NFL Live Doug Marrone, Adam Gase & other coaches tied to the #Browns search don't fit w/ advanced analytics structure

haha-- what an absolute slap in the face to Dougie, whose life is analytics, or so he claims. He uses it every facet of his life... except in player evaluation, and strategic football decisions.

No, but advanced analytics to this degree is. Analytics has been a *part* of what NFL teams look at, but now you have Analytics running the show. Football is pretty subjective and just "messier" than baseball when it comes to personnel. So many "football guys" just simply don't put a ton of faith in it determining success. If this works for the Browns they will be innovators. But it is truly experimental. Any HC they bring on will really need to have the ability and desire to embrace it as a driving force in the day to day decision making.

Analytics can be used (as obvious as it seemed to us) to review the results of how successful a play was like running CJ Spiller up the middle. The results could say that for the 38 times they ran the play, the average was a 1 yard loss. Despite being obvious to us fans, some of these stubborn egotistical coaches (Saint Doug) might get it if shown the data. Of course, isn't that why the Bills and other teams have quality control people?

How you apply Money Ball and analytics to assembling an NFL roster is a different story. Could it be like: 75% of the QBs coming from a college spread system never adjust to the pro-style offense so don't draft one? Or, 99% of the QBs who played for Spurrier at Florida did not make it in the NFL? I'm sure it can get more complicated and useful than these though.

Well apparently this is the second year in a row they tried hiring a baseball guy for their head office. Last year they tried to get former Indians/current Jays president Shapiro to join the front office. UnfortunAtely for Jays fAns he didn't take the Browns job......

Didn't Depodesta work for Shapiro?

Does analystics measure impact of changing coaches/front staff every other year?

What about GM trying to make football decisions via text messages?

Can analystics determine if it would be better to move Browns to another city and try to get NFL to give them another team again?

can't hurt, anything has to be better than what the Browns have been doing. Curious to see if he can work in the NFL.

. I know, really, what's the worst that could happen, the Browns are a dumpster fire and the clean house in 2 years?

Didn't Depodesta work for Shapiro?

not sure, I don't think Shapiro was with the Indians back when Depodesta was there but I could be wrong. Edited by apuszczalowski

Does analystics measure impact of changing coaches/front staff every other year?

What about GM trying to make football decisions via text messages?

Can analystics determine if it would be better to move Browns to another city and try to get NFL to give them another team again?

do you think the fans in Cleveland would ask for another team from the NFL if Haslam took them somewhere else? I'm surprised no one started a crowd fund to get enough money together to pay the relocation fee for Haslam to move the team to LA

he did work with Shapiro

OK, I wasn't completely sure, I couldn't remember from the movie when 'moneyball' took place. I believe Shapiro was with Cleveland for atleast 15 years. Really wish he would have stayed.... Unfortunately Rogers just had to get themselves some of that sweet winning success that the Indians have had for so long..... Edited by apuszczalowski

do you think the DNA in Cleveland would ask for another team from the NFL if Haslam took them somewhere else? I'm surprised no one started a crowd fund to get enough money together to pay the relocation fee for Haslam to move the team to LA

Better to do crowd fund for more money to FBI. They will take care of Haslam issue.

I like what the Browns are doing here. Remember the key point of Moneyball: it isn't that on-base average (or some other single stat) is always and everywhere the secret sauce for winning teams. It's that on-base average was undervalued by baseball teams c. 2002. So I wouldn't look for DePodesta to look for any particular player characteristics of the "tackles are ideally 6'5", 320" formula. Rather, I'd look for him to try to figure out what skills are overvalued and what skills are undervalued in the NFL today. Really, it's not anything different than what the Seahawks did with Russell Wilson or the Bills with Tyrod Taylor: shorter QBs with excellent running skills (and strong, accurate arms) were very undervalued and could be picked up relatively cheaply in the draft ("cheap" meaning "not 1st or 2nd round") or in free agency. That's an obvious one, but there are no doubt dozens of other areas in which certain positions/skills are overvalued or undervalued. DePo has a track record of finding those things. This offseason will be really interesting - I expect them to let a lot of guys go and we'll start to see the DePo approach in the players they sign and draft.

(No, I don't think scrambling alcoholic QBs are the market inefficiency he'll seek to exploit.)

If the Browns have the patience to stick with the program for a few years, they'll get it right ... finally.

I like what the Browns are doing here. Remember the key point of Moneyball: it isn't that on-base average (or some other single stat) is always and everywhere the secret sauce for winning teams. It's that on-base average was undervalued by baseball teams c. 2002. So I wouldn't look for DePodesta to look for any particular player characteristics of the "tackles are ideally 6'5", 320" formula. Rather, I'd look for him to try to figure out what skills are overvalued and what skills are undervalued in the NFL today. Really, it's not anything different than what the Seahawks did with Russell Wilson or the Bills with Tyrod Taylor: shorter QBs with excellent running skills (and strong, accurate arms) were very undervalued and could be picked up relatively cheaply in the draft ("cheap" meaning "not 1st or 2nd round") or in free agency. That's an obvious one, but there are no doubt dozens of other areas in which certain positions/skills are overvalued or undervalued. DePo has a track record of finding those things. This offseason will be really interesting - I expect them to let a lot of guys go and we'll start to see the DePo approach in the players they sign and draft.

(No, I don't think scrambling alcoholic QBs are the market inefficiency he'll seek to exploit.)

If the Browns have the patience to stick with the program for a few years, they'll get it right ... finally.

Yup and Yolo is right that Chip understands this. Not just undervalued but not subject to salary cap restrictions. You can invest as much as you want in training and strength, conditioning, dieting, and coaching. In terms of areas subject to the cap, special teams is undervalued. I think linebackers are cheaper than linemen so a 3-4 is smarter from a resource allocation perspective. Tight ends are cheap and you can disguise formations with them. I love your point about short mobile QBs (although the year the Seahawks drafted Wilson they had invested in like four other QBs - they just bought a lot of QBs and lucked out with Wilson).

@joelsherman1

I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

@afc2nfc

DePodesta is of Moneyball fame. With Sashi Brown's promotion, clearly the Browns are invested in trying an analytic approach

He was the Jonah Hill character I think

Did you say analytic... Haha where is marrone

Baseball and football share 50 percent of the same letters. Therefore this desperate move has a 50 percent chance of success and 50 percent chance of failure.

Now that's what I call analytics!

^^^The perfect coach to embrace this -- Chip. Can they get him?

The guy who wants full control over the roster?

Probably not