Browns hire Paul DePodesta from Mets to run team

YoloinOhio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hesitate to say it can't work, it's clearly worked to some degree in baseball (though Moneyball does conveniently omit a MVP shortstop and 3 CY Young winning pitchers) and it's in the process of completely changing how the NBA is played.

That being said, as others have mentioned football is just so subjective. You can take measurables such as size, 40 times and lifting scores and try to apply them to find players, but that's nothing new to football and usually fails more often than it works. College teams do completely different things so comparing someone from Georgia Tech's offense to someone from Texas Tech's is about as apples to oranges as it gets. Good for the Browns if they discover some magic formula to find better players who are bigger / stronger / faster than other teams uncover, but right now it feels like trying to reinvent the wheel and grasping at straws.

Lots of cool, smart guys fail. This is an interesting experiment.

Exactly. And, I feel for Browns fans. Because they, like us, don't really have the patience for experiments. But, at least the Browns are doing something differently than they have been because THAT definitely did not work.

daniel kaplan @dkaplanSBJ

Browns EVP football ops Sashi Brown used 2 b w/ Jags, where Tony Khan's analytics company, TruMedia, counted Mets and DePodesta as client.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It works in baseball because baseball is just a bunch of numbers and stats. It's barely a sport. It's more of a game than a sport IMO (like bowling).

Can you hit a ball? Can you throw a ball very fast? That's about it. You'll most likely be good at baseball.

There is very little strategy or teamwork to speak of. You stand there with your sunglasses on in the outfield watching foul ball after foul ball go backwards into the stands. Once every 20 minutes you actually have to move to catch or pick up and throw the ball in the event it actually gets hit into the field of play.

I'm falling asleep just describing it.

Football is so much more complicated.

How many guys had every measurable yet failed in the NFL?

According to analytics Big Mike Williams should have been a 15 year starter at tackle for us.

You can't measure desire. Or the effect of team chemistry. Or the effect of coaching. Or choice of scheme (see Williams, Mario). Or ability to grasp the complex principles of NFL defense/offense.

It will be interesting to see how it works out though.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 21s21 seconds ago

The heavy emphasis on analytics makes me wonder if Patriots DC/rocket scientist Matt Patricia might have an edge in the Browns coach search.

I think he makes the most sense out of any of the candidates they are on tap to interview. Whoever takes that job is taking a giant leap of faith, I wouldn't think Patricia is feeling any sort of desperation for a head job.

I think he makes the most sense out of any of the candidates they are on tap to interview. Whoever takes that job is taking a giant leap of faith, I wouldn't think Patricia is feeling any sort of desperation for a head job.

Looks like he is straight out of the Muni Lot...

CX7pMhnUQAEqcIB.jpg

It works in baseball because baseball is just a bunch of numbers and stats. It's barely a sport. It's more of a game than a sport IMO (like bowling).

Can you hit a ball? Can you throw a ball very fast? That's about it. You'll most likely be good at baseball.

There is very little strategy or teamwork to speak of. You stand there with your sunglasses on in the outfield watching foul ball after foul ball go backwards into the stands. Once every 20 minutes you actually have to move to catch or pick up and throw the ball in the event it actually gets hit into the field of play.

According to analytics Big Mike Williams should have been a 15 year starter at tackle for us.

You can't measure desire. Or the effect of team chemistry. Or the effect of coaching. Or choice of scheme (see Williams, Mario). Or ability to grasp the complex principles of NFL defense/offense.

You don't watch much baseball.

This is a little harsh on baseball but dead-on when it comes to football.

It's hard to quantify individual performance when football is such a team sport. Especially when you're a lineman, the play of the guy next to you effects your decision-making and performance. And good coaches make average players look good while bad coaches often make good players look bad.

There are probably things football can learn from Moneyball but it can never import the whole package. But that's probably not DePodesta's intent.

Curiously, his title is "Chief Strategy Officer." I guess that implies others will be making the more tactical decisions.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It's hard to quantify individual performance when football is such a team sport. Especially when you're a lineman, the play of the guy next to you effects your decision-making and performance. And good coaches make average players look good while bad coaches often make good players look bad.

There are probably things football can learn from Moneyball but it can never import the whole package. But that's probably not DePodesta's intent.

Curiously, his title is "Chief Strategy Officer." I guess that implies others will be making the more tactical decisions.

he is more than just an analytics guy - I think he's well respected in building culture and team. But until the full picture of the GM and HC come into play it's kind of hard to see the forest for the trees. Right now, they cleaned house and so far have a lawyer and a baseball guy running a football team.

Especially with things like "garbage time", playing hobbled, bad matchup, etc. Its a short 16 game season full of outliers and variables.

Baseball works because the sample size is huge and the variables are limited.