Browns hire Paul DePodesta from Mets to run team

YoloinOhio

@joelsherman1

I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

@afc2nfc

DePodesta is of Moneyball fame. With Sashi Brown's promotion, clearly the Browns are invested in trying an analytic approach

He was the Jonah Hill character I think

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@joelsherman1

I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

@afc2nfc

DePodesta is of Moneyball fame. With Sashi Brown's promotion, clearly the Browns are invested in trying an analytic approach

He was the Jonah Hill character I think

Perhaps Sashi Brown knows what he is doing.

Very impressed with the hire of DePodesta and the forward thinking approach they are bringing to the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Stupid.

Analytics doesn't work with football.

Perhaps Sashi Brown knows what he is doing.

Very impressed with the hire of DePodesta and the forward thinking approach they are bringing to the NFL.

The analytics philosophy isn't new to football, is it?

It'll be new if it works, I guess.

Edited by LeGOATski

Stupid.

No, but advanced analytics to this degree is. Analytics has been a *part* of what NFL teams look at, but now you have Analytics running the show. Football is pretty subjective and just "messier" than baseball when it comes to personnel. So many "football guys" just simply don't put a ton of faith in it determining success. If this works for the Browns they will be innovators. But it is truly experimental. Any HC they bring on will really need to have the ability and desire to embrace it as a driving force in the day to day decision making.

Stupid.

The degree in which they are going to be taking it...yeah it is new. Football is still pretty much all scouting based. The Browns will rely on proprietary models that DePodesta and his staff come up with on who to draft (creating a draft board), player projections, who to sign as free agents etc. They will still scout but their resources will be focused more on the analytical models I assume. That would be groundbreaking in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

No, but advanced analytics to this degree is. Analytics has been a *part* of what NFL teams look at, but now you have Analytics running the show. Football is pretty subjective and just "messier" than baseball when it comes to personnel. So many "football guys" just simply don't put a ton of faith in it determining success. If this works for the Browns they will be innovators. But it is truly experimental. Any HC they bring on will really need to have the ability and desire to embrace it as a driving force in the day to day decision making.

It's just so late to the game. If you're going to experiment with this, it should've been done in the early 2000s. We already know it doesn't work for football the same way it does baseball.

They're going to draft players based on numbers? They're going to fail. Fail hard.

It's just so late to the game. If you're going to experiment with this, it should've been done in the early 2000s. We already know it doesn't work for football the same way it does baseball.

They're going to draft players based on numbers? They're going to fail. Fail hard.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Certainly possible, or it could go the other way. Billionaires usually don't become billionaires without taking risks. I don't think Haslam is a good owner, but he's also not just standing by doing the same thing he's done since he bought the team and hoping for different results. It will be interesting, if nothing else.

The degree in which they are going to be taking it...yeah it is new. Football is still pretty much all scouting based. The Browns will rely on proprietary models that DePodesta and his staff come up with on who to draft (creating a draft board), player projections, who to sign as free agents etc. They will still scout but their resources will be focused more on the analytical models I assume. That would be groundbreaking in the NFL.

And it won't work.