#2 QB next year

HT02

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

I'm okay with EJ. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who watched the second half of the Jags game when (after putting them in a hole in the first half) EJ brought them back to go ahead late in the fourth quarter.

The Bills are great at creating drama. There will be drama.

It looks like Taylor and Sammy have established themselves. Build on that and develop a young guy behind him. Don't bring in someone to "legitimately challenge" the leader just for the sake of it.

Just think back to recent history, people were upset that the Bills signed Vince Young because the Bills just signed Fitzpatrick to a long term deal, A lot of people thought he might be our QB for years.... By the end of that year it was pretty clear that he wasn't an NFL starter. I hope Taylor is the long term answer but as the saying goes "hope in one hand and spit in the other... See which gets filled first". If Taylor turns into a flop next year we are back at square 1 in 2017. 16 years is too long to wait...

With all the needs we have, and limited cap space... I don't understand how people are calling for EJ to be cut (we pay him AND his replacement), and then also draft a QB in the early rounds. That pick, unless we're sure they're a future pro-bowler, would be wasted, when we have dire needs in the front seven (especially if Mario is gone). It really isn't about some love afair with EJ, it's more about the practical needs of the team as a whole.

QB2 is one of your top priorities? Are you kidding me?

I never said it was my top priority however you can't win a championship without a very good QB in this league, end of story. If you need further evidence name the QB's among this years play-off teams that Tyrod outplayed this year? (Obviously excluding the McCarron). They only two who you could even debate would be Kirk Cousins and Bryan Hoyer and neither of them are certain to be starting for their teams next year.

I guess I have trouble with the bottom line on EJ...0-2 with a loss to one of the worst teams in the league...a loss that can be traced directly to his play in the worst quarterbacked quarter of NFL football I have seen in while...I think the Bills want a back up who can at least have a shot at winning a game..There is film on a lot of back up QB's because of this year's high number of injuries...this might be an area where Whaley and Co. can improve the team at very little or no cap hit.

I am fine with EJ as #3 but not #2. He's still relatively cheap and the Bills have little invested in the position comparatively. Cutting Mario and redoing Clay give the Bills cap room to do some things...finding a suitable #2 should be one of these.

I never said it was my top priority however you can't win a championship without a very good QB in this league, end of story. If you need further evidence name the QB's among this years play-off teams that Tyrod outplayed this year? (Obviously excluding the McCarron). They only two who you could even debate would be Kirk Cousins and Bryan Hoyer and neither of them are certain to be starting for their teams next year.

I completely agree with you that Tyrod should be challenged for his roster spot, but maybe not this next offseason. Mostly I want to use a Rd1 or Rd2 on a QB and bring him in. EJ is fine as the QB2. I'd prefer to DEVELOP a QB. Tyrod gets next year though I'm not holding out too much hope that he'll see more of the field. You can't deny him the offseason as the QB1 that's how we got into this mess.

I guess I have trouble with the bottom line on EJ...0-2 with a loss to one of the worst teams in the league...a loss that can be traced directly to his play in the worst quarterbacked quarter of NFL football I have seen in while...I think the Bills want a back up who can at least have a shot at winning a game..There is film on a lot of back up QB's because of this year's high number of injuries...this might be an area where Whaley and Co. can improve the team at very little or no cap hit.

I am fine with EJ as #3 but not #2. He's still relatively cheap and the Bills have little invested in the position comparatively. Cutting Mario and redoing Clay give the Bills cap room to do some things...finding a suitable #2 should be one of these.

:lol:

Just think back to recent history, people were upset that the Bills signed Vince Young because the Bills just signed Fitzpatrick to a long term deal, A lot of people thought he might be our QB for years.... By the end of that year it was pretty clear that he wasn't an NFL starter. I hope Taylor is the long term answer but as the saying goes "hope in one hand and spit in the other... See which gets filled first". If Taylor turns into a flop next year we are back at square 1 in 2017. 16 years is too long to wait...

Hmm...I don't view Taylor and Fitz as the same guy in this scenario, although I did have hope that Fitz would turn it around.

He was the typical journeyman QB that would make a good backup. I would have no problem if the Bills brought in that type of guy. Like Shaun Hill or Chase Daniel, who someone else mentioned.

Fitz is the type of guy you should have competition for. A vet who's been on multiple teams with inconsistent success. Taylor's a first-time starter who's establishing himself.

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

Agreed. Also, draft a QB in the middle (3-5) rounds as a developmental prospect in the hopes you strike gold.

Sign Ryan Mallett for cheap seems like he's cleaned up his act. Has played very good for the Ravens these last couple of weeks. This can be a low risk high reward type of signing

So Mallett, with a 66 career qb rating and being a giant idiot off the field, is an upgrade over Manuel and his 78 qb rating and team first attitude? Makes sense.

Hmm...I don't view Taylor and Fitz as the same guy in this scenario, although I did have hope that Fitz would turn it around.

He was the typical journeyman QB that would make a good backup. I would have no problem if the Bills brought in that type of guy. Like Shaun Hill or Chase Daniel, who someone else mentioned.

Fitz is the type of guy you should have competition for. A vet who's been on multiple teams with inconsistent success. Taylor's a first-time starter who's establishing himself.

I want more than 14 games to say he has established himself. He is the definite starter but we need more.

See Foles, Nick.

Not to mention that they save nothing by dumping EJ and replacing him. His contract is guaranteed. I would not be surprised at all to see them draft a QB early (rd2-4) and sign a scrap heap guy to come in and compete in camp with EJ and TT. Someone like TJ Yates or Ryan Lindley (just picking random names). If EJ is cut, I doubt it is done before camp cuts in August/Sept.