(OT) Two free albums from iTunes

Fezmid

can you play the songs downloaded from that site on any media player or just the Itunes software? I already have like six media players, don't really need another.

243219[/snapback]

You'll have to use iTunes. If haven't used it, I would recommending using this as an excuse to try it out.

can you play the songs downloaded from that site on any media player or just the Itunes software? I already have like six media players, don't really need another.

243219[/snapback]

All you have to do is burn any downloaded iTunes songs to an Audio CD, and then just rip the songs to mp3 format just like you would any other Audio CD. Piece of cake!

The French cannot figure this out and are suing Apple because iTunes downloads "only work with iPods." [Dumbass French :) ]

The French cannot figure this out and are suing Apple because iTunes downloads "only work with iPods." [Dumbass French  :) ]

243270[/snapback]

Well they do, technically, have a point. By having to do the extra conversions, you're losing audio quality, therefore it's not the same as when you bought it.

CW

Hmm...  as if you can't buy the music any other way....

So, when they stop making VHS tapes, are they going to sue the movie companies for only making DVDs?

244065[/snapback]

No, but left unchecked, it's only a matter of time before *everything* has DRM built into it and then your choices are limited.

DRM is very anti-consumer, I don't understand why people are supporting it in this thread.

CW

anti-consumer? Or the first real step the industry can take to stop what we all know is illegal pirating of music?

244085[/snapback]

Anti-consumer.

Combining DRM with the DMCA and you no longer have any fair use. That's already there with DVDs -- making a *legal* backup copy of a DVD is illegal. Burning a song from iTunes to a CD and then transferring it to a different music player is also illegal.

I'm not just applying this to music. This is going to be put on videos, pictures, software, you name it, and it's wrong. Check out places like EFF.org for more indepth analysis.

DRM is being sold to the public as "anti-piracy" when in reality it's "corporate control" which are totally different.

CW

Anti-consumer.

Combining DRM with the DMCA and you no longer have any fair use.  That's already there with DVDs -- making a *legal* backup copy of a DVD is illegal.  Burning a song from iTunes to a CD and then transferring it to a different music player is also illegal.

I'm not just applying this to music.  This is going to be put on videos, pictures, software, you name it, and it's wrong.  Check out places like EFF.org for more indepth analysis.

DRM is being sold to the public as "anti-piracy" when in reality it's "corporate control" which are totally different.

CW

244107[/snapback]

I don't think that DRM or the DMCA are good things, but I think that many consumers are to blame for this by their excessive pirating that got all of the industry freaked. I hate the corporations involved in the stripping of fair-use more, but piraters aren't helping things either. (I have been reformed since my sophomore year in college).

I also think that some DRM is worse than others. Apple's version is about as liberal as you can get with unlimited iPod copying and a large 5 computer limit which can be circumvented cheaply with one CD-RW and some time.

Burning a song from iTunes to a CD and then transferring it to a different music player is also illegal.

244107[/snapback]

With all due respect, CW, no it is NOT illegal. You purchase the right to play that music on any device designed to play music, be it your CD player, computer or MP3 player.

"We love music, and we absolutely believe that people shouldn't steal music, but we also believe that if they buy it, they should have rights to put that music on their computers, to burn CDs and to put it on their portable music players. You know, people equate burning CDs with theft. Most of the time it's not. Burning CDs means you want custom compilations." - Steve Jobs

Link

With all due respect, CW, no it is NOT illegal. You purchase the right to play that music on any device designed to play music, be it your CD player, computer or MP3 player.

Link

244354[/snapback]

Sorry Gina, but according to the DMCA, it is illegal:

http://www.giantstepsmts.com/drm_glossary.htm#DMCA%201201

DMCA 1201 – section of  DMCA that makes it a crime to traffic in technology that circumvents copy protection.  Also known as the DMCA Anticircumvention Provision.

So by burning the iTunes file to CD and then re-ripping it to MP3 format, you're bypassing the copy protection and are in direct violation of the DMCA. It's a stupid law, to be sure, but there you have it. Doesn't matter that Jobs says you can do it, the Federal government says otherwise.

Yes, I understand that they're (probably) not going to come knocking on your door and haul you off if you buy some iTunes and then convert them to MP3. But they *could* if they wanted to, and this is just the beginning.

For some real fun, a Sharpie marker is technically illegal now to, based on the DMCA. Check this out:

http://www.mohea.com/mike/words/000022.html

Again, stupid law made by people who have no idea what technology is, but it's law nonetheless.

CW

I don't think that DRM or the DMCA are good things, but I think that many consumers are to blame for this by their excessive pirating that got all of the industry freaked.  I hate the corporations involved in the stripping of fair-use more, but piraters aren't helping things either.  (I have been reformed since my sophomore year in college).

I disagree on this -- piracy has been rampant forever. The music industry is still making billions; revenue has decreased some, but there have been lawsuits against them for price fixing which may have also caused the decrease in revenue.

I don't have all the details, but I don't agree that piracy has been hurting their bottom line despite what they're saying.

For the record, I buy most of my music on eBay; you can get CDs for $1-$2 that way. Cheaper than iTunes and easier than P2P networks IMHO.

CW

Sorry Gina, but according to the DMCA, it is illegal:

244466[/snapback]

Hmmm, I guess we need a lawyer to explain how we can play music. That is the equivalent of saying that I can play a CD in my home stereo, but not in the CD player in my car of office. It just doesn't make sense.

Hmmm, I guess we need a lawyer to explain how we can play music. That is the equivalent of saying that I can play a CD in my home stereo, but not in the CD player in my car of office. It just doesn't make sense.

244528[/snapback]

No, that's not the same because there, in both cases you're using the original CD. You're not circumventing any digital protection.

With iTunes (and other DRM stuff - I don't want to pick on Apple because, as was pointed out, their DRM is really just there to appease the RIAA, not to really hamper end-users), if you burn the song to CD, you're bypassing the DRM (aka: copy protection) in the file and therefore are violating the DMCA.

As I said, nobody actually *cares* that you're doing that - yet. But technically, it's illegal.

The DMCA was the worst peice of legislature to ever pass, followed closely by the Patriot Act.

CW