No wonder the NHLPA werent in any hurry

dib

You make 25K a year, you are probably RENTING anyway,

My parents make about $30k/year and they own.

richer people CAN recover easier then poor ones, you are telling me the value of their houses havent gone up?  Im sure it has, and Im sure a good amount of these players have some good assets they can sell to survive!  Oh the horror of some of these poor players to be normal!!!

So again, your solution is to sell your home? That's real compassionate for the majority of NHL players who aren't living in mansions.

You sound very bitter.

CW

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll remember that next time someone posts on here that they were laid off.  "Just SELL your house then!!!!"

Getting laid of from a job is different from being overpaid to play a game.

So $350,000 is being overpaid?

I'll tell that to my doctor next time I see him.

CW

sitting on your ass in your house that has mortage payments of $7,000 a month...

$120,000 to many of these guys won't cut it. They'll be selling their homes, cars, etc. And I know no one feels bad about this (neither do I), but from reports this morning, it really seems like Goodenow f--ked them. I do not believe he was speaking for a majority of the players.

243269[/snapback]

Older vets with big contracts were stupid to hold out. They lost a year on their current big money guaranteed contracts. They will be forced to cross the picket line and accept the new rules imposed by the league next year, or lose the remaining years on their big money contracts.

You can bet that guaranteed contracts will no longer be the norm when the NHL re-opens for business under its new salary cap.

So again, your solution is to sell your home?  That's real compassionate for the majority of NHL players who aren't living in mansions.

You sound very bitter.

CW

243340[/snapback]

Like they have compa$$ion for the normal fans? Thats a good laugh!!!! :):):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I could care less what ANY NHL player does from this point on.

Bitter? Im happy im going to save my money and time for better things then those ba$tard$ believe me.

So again, your solution is to sell your home?  That's real compassionate for the majority of NHL players who aren't living in mansions.

You sound very bitter.

CW

243340[/snapback]

The average pay for NHL players is over $1 mil.

The lower paid players are those in the AHL. But they will have a chance to greatly increase their pay as replacement players next year.

The average pay for NHL players is over $1 mil.

The lower paid players are those in the AHL. But they will have a chance to greatly increase their pay as replacement players next year.

243354[/snapback]

Averages are misleading. If you have one player making $10,000,000 and nine players making $1, the average player salary is over $1 mil.

You've got a gruop of players that is very wealthy and that sitting out probably isn't hurting at all.

You then have a group of players that makes less than $500,000/year and are probably suffering quite a bit from the lockout.

If you check out nhlpa.com, you can get player salaries for the 04-05 (cancelled) season.

CW

I did say most, not all :doh:

How long have your parents been owning that house?

243361[/snapback]

Since about 1980; but they live in Niagara Falls, and it hasn't gone up in value much and is VERY difficult to sell. It took over a year for their neighbor to sell his house (and it's lalmost identical to theirs), and they had to lower the price several times. I think it sold for about $42,000 a couple of years ago if I recall correctly.

If my dad lost his job, my parents would be fubar'd and simply selling the house wouldn't work (nor would it really be an option).

CW

Averages are misleading.  If you have one player making $10,000,000 and nine players making $1, the average player salary is over $1 mil.

You've got a gruop of players that is very wealthy and that sitting out probably isn't hurting at all.

You then have a group of players that makes less than $500,000/year and are probably suffering quite a bit from the lockout.

If you check out nhlpa.com, you can get player salaries for the 04-05 (cancelled) season.

CW

243369[/snapback]

those making $500,000 probably qualify for food stamps.

maybe if all those "poor" players were a little smarter, they would have realized that a cap only limited the mega-salaries and they would actually make more money.

Too bad they will return to a league without those wonderful guaranteed contracts.

those making $500,000 probably qualify for food stamps.

maybe if all those "poor" players were a little smarter, they would have realized that a cap only limited the mega-salaries and they would actually make more money.

Too bad they will return to a league without those wonderful guaranteed contracts.

243382[/snapback]

Those players weren't really given much of a choice from what I"ve heard of the situation.

CW

Bull ****. They could have broken ranks and negotiated separately.

243475[/snapback]

Reports are coming out that many, MANY players wanted to take Bettman's deal. I think Goodenow has alot of explaining to do.

As a matter of fact, today ESPN reported that tons of players tried to call him yesterday to tell him to make the deal, and he wouldn't talk to them.

They also said many verteran players think a deal will STILL be made in the next couple of days.

Reports are coming out that many, MANY players wanted to take Bettman's deal. I think Goodenow has alot of explaining to do.

As a matter of fact, today ESPN reported that tons of players tried to call him yesterday to tell him to make the deal, and he wouldn't talk to them.

They also said many verteran players think a deal will STILL be made in the next couple of days.

243481[/snapback]

None of which surprises me, really. Recall what I said Monday about the NHLPA's negotiating strategy. And it's becoming increasingly clear that Goodenow has been representing his own interests (i.e. ego) rather than the NHLPA's.

And why not make a deal in the next couple of days? This season's gone...but having a deal in place eight months before the start of the season lets things cool down considerably and is arguably better in terms of marketing their product than getting it done at the last second come October.

It comes down to a question of personl management and lifestyle. $120K a year is not alot if you are actively managing your money and making it work for you.  If you are investing in efforts like opening stores that take a lot of upfront cash to set up (most of that cash you would borrow from banks anyway, but your personal stake is the collateral for large loans), are managing the new stores, etc, or alternately if you are going off to this island spot, that fasion show and paying for your entourage to accompany you 120K ain't much.

However, if you are more passively managing your money investing in mutual funds, diversifying your holdings, and still doing a lot of work, but your work is to monitor the reports from others who are working daily and all the time to pool your assets with many others, then it doesn't matter whether your income is 120 million or $120K because you just buy either more or less of the pool based on your monthly income.

The impression I get is that this decision varies all over the board.  Many of the players who are in finacial trouble are actually in the former mode and really are not making their money work for them, they are simply spending it on parties, yachts and stuff.

The difficulty that many players have when they come into wealth is simply saying no as a surprising number of friends and relatives come out the woodwork and suddenly are your best buddies and want to "share" in the work of making your money work for you and they will do all the work and the player takes all the financial risk.

The impression that I get from the athletes I have interacted with is that I suspect one of the primary benefits of the lockout is that it is now far easier to say no to friends and family who are looking for them to invest in some idea that will allow them to get rich quick when really the best idea is to get rich slowly and stay rich.

243262[/snapback]

What a load of crapola. Run this tripe past the poor slob, his wife and three kids who has a $3,000/month mortgage and another $2,000/month in expenses, minimum.

So $350,000 is being overpaid?

I'll tell that to my doctor next time I see him.

CW

243345[/snapback]

Your Doctor performs a more necessary function than lets say- a goalie.