No wonder the NHLPA werent in any hurry

dib

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys get a 10,000$ a month stipend while they're not getting paid. Sad thing is they probably couldnt live on 10,000$ a month.  I'd sure like to give it a try.

243197[/snapback]

I think this was well known. However, going from $5-$6Mill to $120,000 a year should hit some of these guys pretty good. Especially when you're leaving the lifestyle of a $5M a year athlete, and own the home of a $5M a year athlete.

$120,000/year isn't really that much money...

CW

243214[/snapback]

It comes down to a question of personl management and lifestyle. $120K a year is not alot if you are actively managing your money and making it work for you. If you are investing in efforts like opening stores that take a lot of upfront cash to set up (most of that cash you would borrow from banks anyway, but your personal stake is the collateral for large loans), are managing the new stores, etc, or alternately if you are going off to this island spot, that fasion show and paying for your entourage to accompany you 120K ain't much.

However, if you are more passively managing your money investing in mutual funds, diversifying your holdings, and still doing a lot of work, but your work is to monitor the reports from others who are working daily and all the time to pool your assets with many others, then it doesn't matter whether your income is 120 million or $120K because you just buy either more or less of the pool based on your monthly income.

The impression I get is that this decision varies all over the board. Many of the players who are in finacial trouble are actually in the former mode and really are not making their money work for them, they are simply spending it on parties, yachts and stuff.

The difficulty that many players have when they come into wealth is simply saying no as a surprising number of friends and relatives come out the woodwork and suddenly are your best buddies and want to "share" in the work of making your money work for you and they will do all the work and the player takes all the financial risk.

The impression that I get from the athletes I have interacted with is that I suspect one of the primary benefits of the lockout is that it is now far easier to say no to friends and family who are looking for them to invest in some idea that will allow them to get rich quick when really the best idea is to get rich slowly and stay rich.

For sitting on your @ss it is.

243233[/snapback]

sitting on your ass in your house that has mortage payments of $7,000 a month...

$120,000 to many of these guys won't cut it. They'll be selling their homes, cars, etc. And I know no one feels bad about this (neither do I), but from reports this morning, it really seems like Goodenow f--ked them. I do not believe he was speaking for a majority of the players.

$120,000 to many of these guys won't cut it. They'll be selling their homes, cars, etc.

243269[/snapback]

you don't think these guys have saved anything from the past few seasons of over-inflated salaries? trust me, there aern't any NHL players hurting for cash if they played in the past 5 years........

you don't think these guys have saved anything from the past few seasons of over-inflated salaries? trust me, there aern't any NHL players hurting for cash if they played in the past 5 years........

243276[/snapback]

Most players in the NHL aren't making the $5 million/year salaries... Chris Taylor of the Sabres was scheduled to make $350,000, while Adam Mair was seto to make $533,000. That's a very good wage, but they're not independently wealthy off of it.

The ones who are really screwed throughout this ordeal is the refs; they made between $100,000 and $150,000/season and now they're getting NOTHING. There's no war chest for them, and they won't go down and take jobs away from the lower level refs (AHL, IHL, etc) because those refs backed them when they went on strike. As tough as the players have it, it's even worse to go from $100,000 down to $0.

CW

Awwwww poor bitches....they can SELL their houses if they have financial problems..

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: all of them

243300[/snapback]

I'll remember that next time someone posts on here that they were laid off. "Just SELL your house then!!!!"

CW

Most players in the NHL aren't making the $5 million/year salaries...  Chris Taylor of the Sabres was scheduled to make $350,000, while Adam Mair was seto to make $533,000.  That's a very good wage, but they're not independently wealthy off of it.

CW

243297[/snapback]

the point being, whatever your making, your saving something........for example, if your making 5M, your saving 1M.........if your making 350K, your saving 70K........if your not, your an idiot........but everyone lives within their means, so it's not like any of these guys making 350K are owning 5M houses.......

I'll remember that next time someone posts on here that they were laid off.  "Just SELL your house then!!!!"

CW

243303[/snapback]

These guys make 30-40K a year or something? Please, I have NO $ympahty for anyone involved with that crap league...and I got laid off, I dont expect sympathy either....but I know they are all spoiled babies...so its overhwleming for them to think like a NORMAL person with NORMAL financial issues.

I'll remember that next time someone posts on here that they were laid off.  "Just SELL your house then!!!!"

CW

243303[/snapback]

exactly.

I love how people refuse sympathy on others just because they have money. Apparently hatred of those with money is the last acceptable way to openly judge someone.

I'm not saying I feel awful for these players, but I am saying that it's not just as easy as "go sell your house"...

exactly.

I love how people refuse sympathy on others just because they have money.  Apparently hatred of those with money is the last acceptable way to openly judge someone. 

I'm not saying I feel awful for these players, but I am saying that it's not just as easy as "go sell your house"...

243315[/snapback]

I dont hate them because they are rich...I just dont want to hear sob stories about these players, join the club, plenty of NORMAL people out there who face WORSE problems.

These guys make 30-40K a year or something?  Please, I have NO $ympahty for anyone involved with that crap league...and I got laid off, I dont expect sympathy either....but I know they are all spoiled babies...so its overhwleming for them to think like a NORMAL person with NORMAL financial issues.

243310[/snapback]

Wow, let's paint everyone with one broad stroke. Every player in the entire NHL is a spoiled baby. Yup, that's gotta be true. The guys making $350,000/year were out there saying, "God damn it, we can't have a salary cap!!! The team deserves more than $42 million on the payroll!!!!" I'm sure that's gotta be true :)

Here's a newsflash for you -- if you earn $300,000/year, you're probably living in a nicer house/neighborhood than if you earn $25,000/year. My wife and I earn a decent living, and that's why we're not living in the slums of north Minneapolis. I've got a nest egg saved away, but it'd only last so long.

Plus, I heard on the radio that the players don't actually get paid between April and September. Gretzky said that because of that, he doesn't expect any more negotations for quite awhile. That means they're probably not making $120,000/year, but rather $60,000/year. I'd say at least 30% of Americans make more than that a year.

CW

Also, it's the guys like Jagr and Sundin that are backing the whole operation. Chris Taylor isn't out there striking, the salary cap wouldn't hurt him, and the NHL plans to raise his salary. But there's no season for him, it's not like there's even a picket line to cross.

I think it's high time for replacement players to come in, give guys like this a chance.

I dont hate them because they are rich...I just dont want to hear sob stories about these players, join the club, plenty of NORMAL people out there who face WORSE problems.

243321[/snapback]

I am being serious here:

At what point does a salary leave your definition of "normal". Is someone who makes $100,000 a year a normal person? I would certainly say so... How about $200,000?

You're trying to put a monetary value on "normal people"? Seriously, to someone who makes like $25,000 a year, I'm guess some one who makes $100,000 seems "rich" and the $25k guy woud never feel bad for him.

Please, get over it.

Here's a newsflash for you -- if you earn $300,000/year, you're probably living in a nicer house/neighborhood than if you earn $25,000/year.  My wife and I earn a decent living, and that's why we're not living in the slums of north Minneapolis.  I've got a nest egg saved away, but it'd only last so long.

243328[/snapback]

Really? I didnt know that (sarcasm off) :)

You make 25K a year, you are probably RENTING anyway, richer people CAN recover easier then poor ones, you are telling me the value of their houses havent gone up? Im sure it has, and Im sure a good amount of these players have some good assets they can sell to survive! Oh the horror of some of these poor players to be normal!!!

Most of the players can go :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: themself, I PRAY the Sabres are contracted and I hope the league goes under.

Im done with this subject.

I'll remember that next time someone posts on here that they were laid off. "Just SELL your house then!!!!"

Getting laid of from a job is different from being overpaid to play a game.