Rex and Pettine back together?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex will be back. Pettine looks like he is out.

Rex can stop the run. Pettine can get to the QB. Thurman can't do either.

How many want a reunion?

Gladly.

The problem is that there was some friction between Rex and Pettine during their time together......not just the unpleasantness AFTER he decided to take a lateral move to the Bills.

They clearly don't see his defense the same way. I remember Pettine resenting some of the criticism he got in NY because he was just doing what he was told to do and thought if he did it his way he wouldn't be taking that heat.

I think Thurman does things the way Rex want them.........which has mostly resulted in a much less effective D for Rex the past 3 seasons.

I don't think Pettine would want to get back under Rex's shadow unless there are no other opportunities available. I see him finding a d coordinator role with another team if fired.

I agree and have posted the exact same thing. That's why he left the Jets for Buffalo in the 1st place.

I don't think Pettine would want to get back under Rex's shadow unless there are no other opportunities available. I see him finding a d coordinator role with another team if fired.

He wanted a higher profile so he could get a chance as a HC.

He doesn't need that now.......he's been a HC and it's understood that he entered a very tough situation in Cleveland and got little help from personnel.......what he needs now is to just go somewhere that he can excel as a DC.

Pettine and Rex just don't see eye to eye about defense.

Someone would have to humble themselves in that equation and I don't see Rex giving up on his struggling version of this defense.

Rex, Pettine, and Rob Ryan's defenses have all underperformed this year. I can't see other teams jumping up and down for Pettine to be their DC.

I was not aware of the friction that others mentioned in NY. If that is true then I agree a reunion probably is not in the cards.

If not Buffalo then where does Pettine land? Carolina if Mcdermott leaves?

Pettine and Rex just don't see eye to eye about defense.

Someone would have to humble themselves in that equation and I don't see Rex giving up on his struggling version of this defense.

I would really like Ryan to concentrate on being a HC and leave the defensive duties to someone else. Ryan should set out the vision and strategy and let the DC go execute it. A couple of problems with this (1) Ryan is not a detail oriented guy so I am not sure him concentrating on head coaching will result in measurable results on the field (2) I am not sure Ryan is a good delegator and he may find it hard to get is paws off the day to day defensive planning.

As for Pettine, even if he decides to come back, needs to have a clear plan to stop the run in addition to being good in pass defense. Granted, his overall D may still be better than this year's but that is not a ringing endorsement in itself.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I would be absolutely shocked if Pettine came back.

So would I. And I can't see Ryan wanting it. As Rex has stated many times, it has never been his D seen as a weakness on any team. It is now, and it's on him.

No way he brings in Petine cause if D gets better Petine gets all the praise, and if it stays putrid, all on Rex. No win for Rex.

That's why I don't think Thurman is going anywhere as well.

Well if we think Rex prefers a bad D vs conflict with Pettine, then Pettine should be the head coach here.

Frankly when Rex begins to understand he is not a D genius he will be a better head coach.

Rex, his brother and father are not D genius.....but all are full of conflict

Rex needs to take responsibility for this mess, at some pt this off-season he needs to announce that he's taking over the D this coming season meaning he'll be the defacto HC/DC. Game planning , play calling , substitutions all on him.

Rex needs to realize that his ship is sinking so to speak and he the Captain has to take control or watch it fall. His job is at stake can't have another season in 2016 be lost due to his D. I realize some people on this board might not like this idea because of the added responsibility HC/DC but some of the best coaches in the NFL pull this off on a week to week basis.

Rex being in full control of the D is the most realistic option we have . Face it fellas we're not changing this D nor is Pettine or anyone else walking threw those doors at One Bills Drive anytime soon.

Some good points brought up. Pettine did leave Rex fr Buffalo, and yes, our run defense was 28th his year, even though we were 4th against the pass. I'm on the side he doesn't come back.

Unless forced by Pegula (seriously doubt it), i don't see Rex firing Thurmon.

They would have to perform with another sub par year on defense for Rex to offer Thurmon up as the sacrificial lamb.

So would I. And I can't see Ryan wanting it. As Rex has stated many times, it has never been his D seen as a weakness on any team. It is now, and it's on him.

No way he brings in Petine cause if D gets better Petine gets all the praise, and if it stays putrid, all on Rex. No win for Rex.

That's why I don't think Thurman is going anywhere as well.

That would be foolish of him because building a good staff is a key signal of whether a coach is good or not. It's why I continue to rank Parcells slightly above Belichick--Parcells identified and developed him early on, and did the same for Coughlin. He also did it for Payton, who had suffered the huge embarrassment of being fired by Fassel. Of course, that didn't work out so well for Fassel; word is that the reason he's never sniffed an nfl coaching job again is his treatment of Payton, which was perceivd to be unjust and unfair.

After BB was fired in Cleveland, who hired him back twice? Parcells.

Pettine is a good DC and if Rex doesn't want to hire him because he'll want total control of the defense, that's a very bad sign for Rex's Buffalo future beyond the 2016 season.