Which NCAA HC could succeed as an NFL HC?

I'll go with none. Here's a few reasons why.

1. College coaches get to hand pick every single player on their roster to fit their scheme. They have what is it, 80, scholarships to dole out to players they want. The find the right players for their system and team culture. The so-called college genius are, shockingly, all at major schools whose historic past and reputation help in recruiting. Saban bombed in the NFL, but he's a great college coach right? Kelly was great in college but sucked in the NFL, I'd argue he made his team worse over this three seasons. In the NFL, you get a roster handed to you and you don't get to go out and use the Alabama name, great facilities, and scholarships to recruit the best free agents. You get a small amount of free agent money to go plug a few holes.

2. As Kelly has proven and others like Marrone did too, you can't treat pros like college kids. A millionaire is a professional, and treating them as a true underling doesn't work. Many of these coaches just don't know how to treat a man like a man when they can't control them like a 19 year old sophomore on scholarship.

3. NFL coaching experience matters. I'd never ever hire a college coach. Give me a coordinator or former coach who has been around NFL players, locker room, front offices, and the entire culture.

4. Scheme, mainly offensive. These college coaches with great teams have great athletic talent all the skill positions. They simply out play the defensive talent with speed. But many of these outstanding college skill players suck in the NFL, because of my main point about a lot of NFL players... they're not intelligent enough, they've gotten by their whole lives on pure skill. That works in college where things are simpler and talent matchups can be lopsided. In the NFL, not so much because the NFL is a filter... the talent and brains are at every position. When you used to be a WR who just ran by everyone, now you need to be a WR who runs precise routes and you simply can't learn it because you're too dumb or don't have the work ethic.

Where's all the Kevin Sumlin talk this year. He was supposed to be great NFL candidate and now he's rumored to be on thin ice. Would he have lasted had he been hired after Manziel's last season? Nope, just another college coach who should stay there,

Very thoughtful post. I agree it is always a huge risk and rarely works out. However, it seems when it does work it it works out big time for the NFL club. So well it may be a 1 in 100 type scenario, that 1 is out there somewhere.

And by the way, I don't think it's fair to say that Chip Kelly failed as a coach--it was his GM performance that got him fired. There is still a good chance he will be coaching in the NFL next year.

Agreed that Kelly will be coaching in the NFL next year, and I also believe he can be successful in the NFL if he focuses more on coaching and less on shipping all the good players out of town. With a talented roster (assembled by someone else) he used his scheme while implementing his culture on his way to back-to-back 10 win seasons. It was after he got full control over personnel that he screwed things up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The college to NFL coaching transition is like being a police officer in London and your new job is a police officer in the Los Angeles Rampart division.

I don't understand, outside of ego, why a successful college coach would want to coach in the modern day NFL.

David Shaw is an obvious choice. He's not leaving Stanford, but if he did, I think he would have any number of NFL jobs to pick from.

And by the way, I don't think it's fair to say that Chip Kelly failed as a coach--it was his GM performance that got him fired. There is still a good chance he will be coaching in the NFL next year.

Totally agree on Shaw. As for Chip, yes, his GM job was horrible, but he didn't adjust his offense enough for the NFL. It was way too simple for the pros.

It's interesting that the average length of a player's career is about three to three and a half seasons, which is right in line with the average current head coaching tenure.

It does not seem to matter whether the guy is a college coach, nfl coordinator, or recycled former nfl head coach...the majority seem to fail. It is very popular to harp on the college guys but it seems like it is rare for anyone to make it long term.

It's interesting that the average length of a player's career is about three to three and a half seasons, which is right in line with the average current head coaching tenure.

It does not seem to matter whether the guy is a college coach, nfl coordinator, or recycled former nfl head coach...the majority seem to fail. It is very popular to harp on the college guys but it seems like it is rare for anyone to make it long term.

Yep, only 1 out of 32 teams actually "succeeds" each year, and if you look back at the list of SB winners, it's really just 5-6 teams that seem to regularly cycle through Championships. So with that, there are about 25/32 teams that are constantly failing, constantly re-tooling, and continuing the cycle.

So at least Rex isn't afraid to f*ck up? Be REXcellent! Dare to dream! Don't be afraid and be REXless :wallbash:

It's kind of like my music teachers used to tell me: (and these were guys with real chops, they went to the Eastman school of music, not sure if you've heard of it). If you're going to f*ck up, f*ck up LOUD. Don't be timid about it.

Good post. I'll like all the draft experts who predict which drafted Qbs will fail in the NFL. Bold prediction because the majority are going to fail. Same with coaches. And if you're getting technical about it, I think every NFL coach is a former college coach. :)

And I vote for David Shaw. They run multiple offenses and I personally don't think KEVIN hogan is very good. They tailor their offense to their talent and that's a great sign. But no coach should be coach and GM. It's too much responsibility for one person and you need to be checked.

And I vote for David Shaw. They run multiple offenses and I personally don't think KEVIN hogan is very good. They tailor their offense to their talent and that's a great sign. But no coach should be coach and GM. It's too much responsibility for one person and you need to be checked.

I could be wrong, but I think Shaw has NFL experience, as well.

I could be wrong, but I think Shaw has NFL experience, as well.

The Harbaugh tree is pretty solid. Shaw is a laid back Harbaugh. I think he work very well.

That said, the question might be, if you're a college coach, why would you want to work in the NFL? I think Stanford would be hard to beat. You are in a great location; get great kids; and it's very low pressure. Why ou give that up to coach in Philly and hear about you getting fired after every loss?

Saban bombed in the NFL, but he's a great college coach right?

Did he really bomb? The team went 1-15 after he left, no?

And again, they wouldn't give him Brees. They gave him Culpepper who sucked and Saban actually cut.

Coach Saban has a tree full of top coaches who bought/buy into his program. He would build a staff and win because that's what he does. He builds programs and wins football games.

People on this thread are talking about Dantonio. I am not saying he isn't good. I know little about him other than Saban was his boss. ;)

Sparty nation can thank Jim Tressel for that cultural mentality. I think both those guys could do well at the pro level.

I'm really surprised Tressel is not coaching somewhere, anywhere, again yet. Although, he does have a fairly posh gig going on right now. Perhaps he is similar to the Cowhers and Grudens of the world who realized the grass can be greener on the other side when you leave the cold weather, long hours of film, and nearly having a heart attack daily due to yelling at people, behind

I'm really surprised Tressel is not coaching somewhere, anywhere, again yet. Although, he does have a fairly posh gig going on right now. Perhaps he is similar to the Cowhers and Grudens of the world who realized the grass can be greener on the other side when you leave the cold weather, long hours of film, and nearly having a heart attack daily due to yelling at people, behind

browns talked to him before they hired Pettine, and reportedly Tress wanted more control over personnel than they were willing to give him. Typical college coach mindset - they are used to controlling every aspect of a program including recruiting, and get itchy if they aren't the ones deciding who they players are. The Colts also talked to him before hiring Pagano.

Chip did have a winning record after 3 NFL seasons. That's not too bad.

In fact, he was probably the most successful "college coach" to jump to the NFL in recent years.

His biggest problem is his massive ego and apparently his need to control EVERYTHING. I think he's a good coach but needs a GM that he can work with to protect him from stupid personnel moves.

Good post. I'll like all the draft experts who predict which drafted Qbs will fail in the NFL. Bold prediction because the majority are going to fail. Same with coaches. And if you're getting technical about it, I think every NFL coach is a former college coach. :)

except for Bellycheck