OT Rant against ABC

T-Bone

Last night I set up my DVR to record Smallville and Jack and Bobby on WB, then at 10 pm to record Law & Order on NBC and CSI: NY on CBS. Then I settled back to watch Lost and Alias on ABC.

Both shows ran past their end time, which caused me to miss the last two minutes of Alias. DVR starts to record right at 10 pm and you cannot watch a third channel while recording on two others. And I cannot stay up past 10 on a work night, to you youngsters on this board, it is a B word getting old.

So, why can WB, CBS, and NBC all start and stop their shows when they are supposed to, but not ABC? And it is not like you are getting a longer show, you are just getting more stupid freaking commerical for trash like WifeSwap.

WifeSwap, who the F is watching that garbage? Every ten freaking minutes I have to hear about this next exciting episode...give me a break.

And if I have to see another commerical where Chris Rock needs to tell us that he is just hosting the Oscars and not getting one, I am going to vomit. Letterman's days of being the worst Oscar host is coming to the end, Rock is going to get that title.

What is wrong with ABC?

Having shows run past their expected end times is becoming practice. My guess is that the reason for this is that this might keep the viewer from switching to the next show on another network. You stay with ABC, for instance, until 9:03 for instance, and then maybe switch over to Fox. In those first few minutes, you've missed the beginning of that episode, and chances are, it is now in its first run of commercials. You might then switch back to ABC because there is content there, not commercials.

I noticed this practice first last year with Friends, because by the time an episode was over, I had missed the first few minutes of American Idol.

I noticed this practice first last year with Friends, because by the time an episode was over, I had missed the first few minutes of American Idol.

243068[/snapback]

I hate to get nit picky here, but Friends was on Thursday nights, American Idol is a Tuesday/Wednesday thing. Am I missing the boat?

I hate to get nit picky here, but Friends was on Thursday nights, American Idol is a Tuesday/Wednesday thing. Am I missing the boat?

243072[/snapback]

Hmmm...right you are. Well, it was from Friends to something else, I just remember what. Too many ales me thinks. :)

I can't quite follow you, but if you know ABC runs a minute or two long why don't you add 1 or 2 extra minutes to the record time? I guess I don't Tivo enough back to back shows to run into this problem. I often watch a Tivo'd show while recording two others though.

I can't quite follow you, but if you know ABC runs a minute or two long why don't you add 1 or 2 extra minutes to the record time?  I guess I don't Tivo enough back to back shows to run into this problem.  I often watch a Tivo'd show while recording two others though.

243146[/snapback]

I could do that if I was not taping two shows at 10 pm, you cannot tape three things at the same time, which is what I have to do.

Why do the networks put all the shows I like on the same day and time?

Having shows run past their expected end times is becoming practice.  My guess is that the reason for this is that this might keep the viewer from switching to the next show on another network.  You stay with ABC, for instance, until 9:03 for instance, and then maybe switch over to Fox.  In those first few minutes, you've missed the beginning of that episode, and chances are, it is now in its first run of commercials.  You might then switch back to ABC because there is content there, not commercials.

243068[/snapback]

yah you're right...even on the digital cable box, it listed Lost's running time from 8pm-9:03pm

wtf?

Last night I set up my DVR to record Smallville and Jack and Bobby on WB, then at 10 pm to record Law & Order on NBC and CSI: NY on CBS.  Then I settled back to watch Lost and Alias on ABC.

Both shows ran past their end time, which caused me to miss the last two minutes of Alias.  DVR starts to record right at 10 pm and you cannot watch a third channel while recording on two others.  And I cannot stay up past 10 on a work night, to you youngsters on this board, it is a B word getting old.

So, why can WB, CBS, and NBC all start and stop their shows when they are supposed to, but not ABC?  And it is not like you are getting a longer show, you are just getting more stupid freaking commerical for trash like WifeSwap.

WifeSwap, who the F is watching that garbage?  Every ten freaking minutes I have to hear about this next exciting episode...give me a break.

And if I have to see another commerical where Chris Rock needs to tell us that he is just hosting the Oscars and not getting one, I am going to vomit.  Letterman's days of being the worst Oscar host is coming to the end, Rock is going to get that title.

What is wrong with ABC?

243064[/snapback]

I think you should be more concerned that your life is so empty that you feel compelled to not only watch six hours of TV in a three-hour stretch, but actually complain about that six hours being only five and fifty-eight minutes. :)

I could do that if I was not taping two shows at 10 pm, you cannot tape three things at the same time, which is what I have to do.

Why do the networks put all the shows I like on the same day and time?

243153[/snapback]

To keep you from doing exactly what you are doing. Part of the networks' "War on TIVO..."

I think you should be more concerned that your life is so empty that you feel compelled to not only watch six hours of TV in a three-hour stretch, but actually complain about that six hours being only five and fifty-eight minutes.  :)

243220[/snapback]

I'm tellin' ya, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Hey Tbag, any self-respecting DVR has a menu feature allowing you to extend individual record times in various increments.

I don't know the make of your DVR, but this is become a really hot issue in the TiVo community between Lost and West Wing, which run back to back on different networks. Lost ALWAYS runs over. If you have a TiVo, there are some workarounds posted in the Lost/West Wing threads that will work for any back to back shows.

In short, you need to make your higher priority show record longer by a few minutes (can keep the season pass), and the lower priority show start a little later using a manual record.