Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signing him to a small contract with incentives is, by definition, not trusting him.

Okay, but what do you do if he's your #2 WR and decides to retire again? It's not about money. It's about being left high and dry again when he flakes out on you.

Okay, but what do you do if he's your #2 WR and decides to retire again? It's not about money. It's about being left high and dry again when he flakes out on you.

In this plan Kelly is treating him as depth that could excel and steal a starting role, not an answer at #2 that you rely on. Sign a #2 and if Percy is still the best player on the field a handful of weeks, great, essentially.

Would consider it only because the alternatives are so bad. Woods regresses every year. Used to look like a strong two, now he's a weak 4. Hogan does not belong on an NFL roster and there's another guy that gets injured every play.

Can't agree about Woods and you've sipped to much of the board's kool aid about Hogan. Harvin can play if healthy but should only be signed to a contract heavily weighted with incentives. If he chooses to not buy off on it, it's probably no great loss.

In this plan Kelly is treating him as depth that could excel and steal a starting role, not an answer at #2 that you rely on. Sign a #2 and if Percy is still the best player on the field a handful of weeks, great, essentially.

Thank you. I even said flat out it shouldn't dissuade the team from finding a 2, 3 or 4 WR in the draft or FA. And not to count on him. And based on playing incentives.

No way.

He's not worth eating up a roster spot.

What's his incentive to show up and give more than a half-ass effort?

Ummmmm... Because his contract is based on incentives?

He wouldn't be brought in to be the #2. And he only stopped playing because he was too hurt to play. He didn't quit.

I'd prefer the Bills to stop making low risk, high reward type moves trying to catch lightning in a bottle. These guys never pan out for long, and more often than not end up wasting a roster spot and valuable practice time. And when it gets a little tough out, their true colors always show through... and they get injured/quit/pout/fail/..lose.

Wouldn't it be nice to just once have good, players that play hard every week and actually make great, game changing plays in clutch situations?

Harvin is exactly the type of player you never want on your team. Because he's good enough to make you think he's gonna be good. But he never comes through for the team when he's needed the most.

$3MM?? Are you high?

Find a real #2 receiver in FA please.

you can do both, in FA a real #2 WR will cost alot more then $3MIL

The point to bringing him back at that price is to Gerome additional talent for a low price hoping he out plays the deal. $3 MIL is peanuts these days for good depth. It shouldn't stop the bills from doing anything in FA. If they keep Rex it's going to cost them alot more in dead cap space just to cut productive players on the defence so he can bring in his own guys. The team already wasted roster spots on 2 kickers, and 3 Qbs at one point.

Harvin when healthy is a #1 talent and was the bills best receiver when he was on the field. He is an upgrade over the entire receiving Corp not named Watkins. If they can convince Co him to come back at a discount and agree to a reduced role he might even make it through 16 games. And no one sys they can't bring others in to upgrade also

I'd prefer the Bills to stop making low risk, high reward type moves trying to catch lightning in a bottle. These guys never pan out for long, and more often than not end up wasting a roster spot and valuable practice time. And when it gets a little tough out, their true colors always show through... and they get injured/quit/pout/fail/..lose.

Wouldn't it be nice to just once have good, players that play hard every week and actually make great, game changing plays in clutch situations?

Harvin is exactly the type of player you never want on your team. Because he's good enough to make you think he's gonna be good. But he never comes through for the team when he's needed the most.

every team looks for the the high reward guys. In a salary cap league you have to have some guys like that because you can't have all high paid pros at every position.

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than 50% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

I wouldn't want it to dissuade us from finding another #2 or #3 or #4 WR in FA or the draft though. And I totally understand why people would say no or not worth the risk.

I guess the question to me is "what is really going on with his hip?"

There has to be some reason to believe that it has healed up and there would be a real chance he could stay healthy and contribute

Because otherwise it is just taking up $3M that could be used to sign another FA at another position (or a good WR if one available) and taking up a roster spot and reps that could be used to build chemistry with a guy who will make it through the season.

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than 50% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

I wouldn't want it to dissuade us from finding another #2 or #3 or #4 WR in FA or the draft though. And I totally understand why people would say no or not worth the risk.

no, he is pretty much down.

better off drafting one or FA.

He just isn't very good. In the time I have been watching this league - so dating back to about 2002 there have been few more overrated football players than Percy Harvin. I was ridiculed for taking the view before the season started that things wouldn't work out here.... whether it is falling out with teammates, lack of application, injuries or just being a limited receiver that you can basically just throw bubble screens and go routes to he flames out everywhere. Roberts Woods has disappointed this year, Hogan is an impending FA and whilst I have been a supporter of his throughout I would not advocate committing any kind of significant resource into keeping him - we need at least 2 receivers this off season. Maybe we can finally get that big bodied possession guy we have been after for 4 years?

EDIT: I am actually with Badol in that at the right cost I'd kick the tires on Josh Gordon. I wouldn't give up much or commit much money but if everyone else has given up on him he might be available for a bargain basement price - Incognito style.

Edited by GunnerBill

Also a guy who had a higher ypg(117) in 2013 than Jerry Rice, Randy Moss or Terrel Owens ever did.

And the most amazing part was that he did it with Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell as his QB's.

How often have we heard that dud QB's had tamped down our WR stats. :doh:

Calvin Johnson had ONE season where he produced more ypg.......but he was the top player in the NFL that season and was catching passes from a talented QB.

And all that means **** if he's sitting in rehab

Your plan is to pay him for games active, starts, and production.

It isn't too hard for him to be activated on game day, especially when Rex keeps talking him up.

I'm not sure how "starts" works in your scenario. Does that mean he's on the field for the first offensive snap?

As for production, is he going to be paid for targets or catches? What about throwing blocks? What happens when he doesn't get thrown to?

But even after all that (and the point I was lazy in making), I don't believe that Percy Harvin is the kind of guy who's mentally tough enough to gut out an entire season - or even an entire game within a season for that matter. Under your scenario, I could see him trying to pick and choose which game(s) to actually show up and play hard just to collect some incentive money. No professional football team needs that uncertainty.

Not only that, I believe Percy thinks he's still worth a lot of guaranteed money, no matter how productive he actually is.

I guess the question to me is "what is really going on with his hip?"

There has to be some reason to believe that it has healed up and there would be a real chance he could stay healthy and contribute

Because otherwise it is just taking up $3M that could be used to sign another FA at another position (or a good WR if one available) and taking up a roster spot and reps that could be used to build chemistry with a guy who will make it through the season.

Absolutely contingent on the training staff believing that he can play at 100%.