Bills rushing stats - what an improvement over last year!

YoloinOhio

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm pretty sure too.

How confident are you with this staff in place?

i won't know my level of confidence until I see what the personnel looks like. I've always been of the opinion that it's more about "Jimmys and Joes" than X's and O's . I think they should focus on further building up the offense first and foremost, and then tailoring the defense more toward the scheme.

Getting back to the discussion early in this thread, the Bills use the running game for 5 yard gains, and the Pats use the passing game for those short gains. The simplistic question is, which is better, but since we don't have Tom Brady that's not a useful question. Brady is a fully experienced, highly talented QB who sees opportunities and grabs them. Taylor may be able to get there consistently as well, but until then the Bills are better off running.

A strong running game beats up the defense and tires it out. It also demoralizes them if they're gashed over and over. But the Bills' approach lets the D key on our WRs running longer routes, without as much need to be alert for the mid-range passes the Bills never seem to use.

The Patriots' pass-centric offense works because of Brady and McDaniels working to their strengths. Also it makes the pass defense cover the whole field. If the Pats had more WRs than Edelman (Amendola is a toy, and the rest are not very good), the Pats would be almost unstoppable. Gronk is of course an outstanding player, but teams are finding ways to cover him when there's no alternative for Brady to look for.

So the bottom line is I think the Bills are playing to their strengths on offense. With another RT and possibly a RG (Miller needs to improve, or be benched) and a better #2 WR, their range of strengths will expand. (Also consider that Whaley DID address those holes, with two RTs in last year's draft including a #2, and Percy Harvin -- sometimes things don't work out as expected.)

If they had played to their strengths on defense, they'd be 12-3 right now and contending for a first round bye. But Wrecks' foolishness is another topic.

@profootballtalk

Mike Gillislee putting up ridiculous stats in Buffalo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/30/mike-gillislee-putting-up-ridiculous-stats-in-buffalo/

With both Gillislee and rookie Karlos Williams playing very well behind LeSean McCoy on the depth chart, the Bills now have an embarrassment of riches at running back. The Bills defense has been a huge disappointment in Rex Ryans first season in Buffalo, but there are reasons to be optimistic about the future of the Bills offense.

How is any of this possible with an aging and unathletic OL? :rolleyes:

No worries. Bill Polian knows what's wrong and just how to fix it - draft Peyton or Andrew and you're done.

Last years running game was 9-7. The best this years running game can finish is 8-8.

And last year's final win came because your friend and idol Bill sat his starters for three quarters in a meaningless game.

Great job. I love a good running game. Keep these guys in place and get the "scheme fits" for the D.

Pretty simple, right?

One would hope they can build on this. Having Kromer around for the full season (unless he finds where that family lives in Florida), should produce more positive results. The OLine did far better when he was coaching them than when he was on sabbatical. Plus, Tyrod will go to camp as the starter and get all the snaps with the 1s throughout TC and the preseason. One more year in the system and all the players should be a lot more comfortable in their assignments.

Rex will have to rework the D, which likely means he gets his kind of guys in the front seven, because like it or not, the very talented crew he inherited did not work out for him. If our CBs and other DBs can stay healthy for most of the year, I think we will do a lot better next year.

Don't forget this includes overall rushing yards including QB. An article last week indicated they would still be near the top, but not at the top, if you took out QB yards.

I understand that some of those QB yards are designed plays, but the majority are scrambles that do not result from good OL play (many times the opposite)

I read that article, and what is not considered is the TT runs then opens the traditional running game, and opens up the passing game.

• 2 weeks later...

Most rushing first downs last two years:

DeMarco Murray 132

LeSean McCoy 109

Matt Forte 109

Jeremy Hill 106

Cam Newton 101

Le'Veon Bell 100

@news4buffalo

According to #Bills, with Tyrod Taylor, Karlos Williams & LeSean McCoy, they've got 3 players with 500 rush yds for first time since 1962.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I am amazed at the turnaround. I recall last year posting that we need new running backs after gaining 13 YARDs total rushing vs the Raiders, who had been the last ranked run D. The Bills were ranked 25th in the league in rushing.

Now the Bills are 1st in total rushing and 1st in YPC.

This is with LeSean McCoy missing 3 full games, Karlos Williams playing just 10 games, getting 10+ carries 3 times.

Taylor's rushing numbers impact it somewhat to go beyond just the RBs, but some of his runs are designed. And if you took away all of his rushing yards, the Bills would still be top 5 in the league.

Not to pick a nit, Yolo - I agree with your main point, amazing turnaround - without Taylor, though, I think the Bills finished just out of the top 10 in rushing.

Taylor finished with 568 yds rushing, without which the Bills would have 1864 yds, putting them 11th. Your stat may have been accurate when you looked, don't know.

Still excellent turn-around. And as previously noted, one thing that amazes me is 3 pieces of the OL were the same, the much maligned Glenn-Wood-Henderson, and a 4th piece (Urbik) also saw a lot of time. Amazing what playing 2 actual guards can do, when combined with a more creative blocking scheme.

Not to pick a nit, Yolo - I agree with your main point, amazing turnaround - without Taylor, though, I think the Bills finished just out of the top 10 in rushing.

Taylor finished with 568 yds rushing, without which the Bills would have 1864 yds, putting them 11th. Your stat may have been accurate when you looked, don't know.

Still excellent turn-around. And as previously noted, one thing that amazes me is 3 pieces of the OL were the same, the much maligned Glenn-Wood-Henderson, and a 4th piece (Urbik) also saw a lot of time. Amazing what playing 2 actual guards can do, when combined with a more creative blocking scheme.

Did you take the other QB's rushing yards out as well?

You would have to subtract all of the QB yardage from every other team, too, to find out. That could easily make the Bills in the top 5.

Roman and Kromer are bankable.

amazing how this O line progressed.

Impressive how well Tyrod performed

Outstanding what the Bills Rushing offense accomplished !!

Folks should be proud :thumbsup:

and best part is for me, the pass game started revving up it's engine .

which will open up the run game next year!

Love the grind. thats where the real work is done anyways. on that line.

Roman and Kromer are bankable.

amazing how this O line progressed.

Impressive how well Tyrod performed

Outstanding what the Bills Rushing offense accomplished !!

Folks should be proud :thumbsup:

and best part is for me, the pass game started revving up it's engine .

which will open up the run game next year!

Love the grind. thats where the real work is done anyways. on that line.

the OL is all in key west right now per Incognito's tweets. Also Shady and Clay. Hope they behave!

the OL is all in key west right now per Incognito's tweets. Also Shady and Clay. Hope they behave!

I am certain they all will behave. The question is....HOW?

Did you take the other QB's rushing yards out as well?

Didn't think it mattered except Newton and Wilson, but actually it matters more than I thought - didn't realize Alex Smith had racked up almost 500 yds etc.

So actually, good point.