Am I wrong, Vikes final playoff spot?

boyst

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

NFL Standings

Vikes played the Falcons Nov 29th and won 20-10.

Vikes: 9-5 play the Giants tonight.

Falcons 8-7 beat the Panthers today.

The Vikings losing the next two weeks would not do anything to knock them out of the playoffs even tying the Falcons. Especially when the Falcons 1-4 in the division while the Vikings are currently 4-1.

Green Bay, Seattle, Arizona, Washington, and Cam Newton all have filled the NFC playoff spots

Yeah, in a three-way tie unless one team beat both of the other two or all three teams play each other, head-to-head is skipped. Since Seattle and Atlanta did not play each other and Minnesota lost to Seattle, if Seattle, Atlanta, and Minnesota end in a three-way tie the head-to-heads between Seattle/Minnesota and Minnesota/Atlanta do not count and they move on to the next tie-breaker. See below:

http://espn.go.com/n...age=tiebreakers

Three or more teams
(Note: If two teams remain tied after the third step or other teams are eliminated, tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-team format.)
1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked team in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild-card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one team has defeated each of the others or if one team has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Atlanta did poorly in their division but swept the NFC E so I think the Seahawks, Vikes and Falcons could possibly all end up 6-6 in the conference and then you get into the crazy stuff.

The NFL site says the Seahawks are a shoe inn for the playoffs.

They have the little dot for the berth and all.

Seahawks beat the Vikings.

Vikings beat the Falcons.

Falcons beat the Panthers

Panthers beat the Seahawks.

Yeah, in a three-way tie unless one team beat both of the other two or all three teams play each other, head-to-head is skipped. Since Seattle and Atlanta did not play each other and Minnesota lost to Seattle, if Seattle, Atlanta, and Minnesota end in a three-way tie the head-to-heads between Seattle/Minnesota and Minnesota/Atlanta do not count and they move on to the next tie-breaker. See below:

than how is Seattle already promised in?

The NFL site says the Seahawks are a shoe inn for the playoffs.

They have the little dot for the berth and all.

Seahawks beat the Vikings.

Vikings beat the Falcons.

Falcons beat the Panthers

Panthers beat the Seahawks.

than how is Seattle already promised in?

Seattle wins a 2 way or 3 way tie breaker, but their inclusion in the mix could impact how the other two teams rank (primarily by eliminating head-to-head as a criteria).

You're looking at the tie within a division list. Scroll down a bit more:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1) If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2) If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss.

Edited by JM57

Can Denver still get home field? I would think they could if they beat the Bengals and whoever they play next week and the Pats lose.

Denver and Cincinnati at 12-4 would result in a first round bye for Denver by virtue of the head to head win. The Bengals have Baltimore next weekend, for anyone wondering.

Looking at the 3 team tiebreakers, it does appear that Denver still could get home field advantage if they finished tied at 12-4 with both NE and CIN. Denver would have the head to head sweep tiebreaker.

Edited by JM57

You're looking at the tie within a division list. Scroll down a bit more:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1) If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2) If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss.

yes and Minnesota beat Atlanta. that is the first tie breaker, therefore, Minnesota wins.

Denver and Cincinnati at 12-4 would result in a first round bye for Denver by virtue of the head to head win. The Bengals have Baltimore next weekend, for anyone wondering.

Thanks. Can Denver still get home field throughout?

Seattle wins a 2 way or 3 way tie breaker, but their inclusion in the mix could impact how the other two teams rank (primarily by eliminating head-to-head as a criteria).

see above. if it goes to that measure, minnesota beat atlanta.

Thanks. Can Denver still get home field throughout?

Yep, see my edit. Sorry I type a little slower on my phone

yes and Minnesota beat Atlanta. that is the first tie breaker, therefore, Minnesota wins.

Apparently the only scenario for Atlanta to get in involves them getting the #5 seed. It outlandish, and I can't confirm it would actually be true. It would require a 3-way the at 9-7 between Atlanta, Minnesota and Seattle. Because they didn't all play each other, head to head games wouldn't matter.

Next tiebreaker is conference record. All would be 6-6 in this scenario. Next up is common games, minimum of 4, which I don't see being applicable considering the different divisions and where they finished within those divisions last season.

That takes it to strength of victory, which is where it gets goofy. According to what's out there, Atlanta would also need 3 of these 4 teams to win: SF, TEN, DEN, CAR. I don't know why. Just trying to make sense of it.

Yep, see my edit. Sorry I type a little slower on my phone

Apparently the only scenario for Atlanta to get in involves them getting the #5 seed. It outlandish, and I can't confirm it would actually be true. It would require a 3-way the at 9-7 between Atlanta, Minnesota and Seattle. Because they didn't all play each other, head to head games wouldn't matter.

Next tiebreaker is conference record. All would be 6-6 in this scenario. Next up is common games, minimum of 4, which I don't see being applicable considering the different divisions and where they finished within those divisions last season.

That takes it to strength of victory, which is where it gets goofy. According to what's out there, Atlanta would also need 3 of these 4 teams to win: SF, TEN, DEN, CAR. I don't know why. Just trying to make sense of it.

so, basically, Minnesota is going to make the playoffs...

see above. if it goes to that measure, minnesota beat atlanta.

Correct, but in a three way tie between Sea/Minn/Atl the head to heads are not counted since Seattle didn't play Atlanta. For Seattle, they are just in a position where in all istances, whether a two-way tie with Atlanta or Minnesota or a three way tie with both, they would get the tie-breaker in ever scenario. For Minnesota, they get the head-to-head tie breaker over Atlanta if it's just those two and Seattle has the better record. However, in a three-way tie between the three head-to-head does not apply since Seattle didn't play Atlanta so you then go down to another tie-breaker and apparently in one of the next tie-breakers Seattle and Atlanta get in over Minnesota.

Now, Minnesota is whipping the Giants at the moment so barring some epic collapse it looks like they will get in and there will be no three-way tie.

Edited by Talley56