Average Talent + Average Coaching = Average Record

Doug Whaley used the phrase "QB purgatory" to describe the Bills situation at QB before the season started. Now that the season is almost over, its fair to say the entire team is "mediocre" territory.

Whether fans want to accept it or not, Rex Ryan is an average NFL head coach. Like franchise QBs there are a handful of coaches in the NFL that are generally considered outstanding. (and they tend to have outstanding QBs). A coaching change is not likely to make a big difference.

Tyrod Taylor performed at an overall average level this season. He was actually above average on executing what he was asked to do, but below average in the sense that he was asked to do less than the better NFL QBs.

Special teams is below average. Function of coaching and personnel.

Offensive line is below average talent wise

Linebackers are below average talent wise

When healthy the secondary is above average. Unfortunately they don't seem to be stay healthy.

Defensive line is above average talent wise, when properly motivated.

Running backs are above average.

Wide receivers are average as a group.

Tight End play produced at a very pedestrian level this year.

There truly aren't glaring holes. But its hard to see how the team rises above the average level.

The defensive personnel is not average, not above average, not good, not even great, but elite. Nothing has changed there since last season except they are now poorly coached. Best defensive line in all of football, and an excellent secondary. A little help at linebacker wouldn't hurt.

Elite on defense, average to above average on offense has our personnel looking good in my opinion. Gotta get better on the o line.

Still can't fathom how so many people don't get the purgatory statement: the premise is that their record would be too good to garner a top 5 pick with which they could draft a top prospect

Also, I disagree with many of your position group assessments:

The OL isn't average; they have the top rushing attack in the NFL. That's not average.

The LBs are not average; they're bad.

The WR group isn't average. Sammy is excellent; the others are very underwhelming.

What they need position-wise:

QB - vet backup and high draft pick to groom

WR- bona fide #2 with size

OL - starting RT

Edge defender- need at least one pass rusher to replace Mario and complement Hughes

ILB - maybe Brown can be salvaged, but need to replace Bradham

S - one of Graham or Aaron will be gone (released or retired, respectively)

NT - if Rex wants to run his 30 front, he needs a space eater

this team hasn't had "average" talent in quite sometime. NO team in the NFL is comprised of 100% elite athletes.

call me what you'd like, but I think the "talent" overall on this team, exceeds average.

now, the coaching, that's another story.

It is a fan fantasy that the talent is above average, let alone elite. One player, one, made the pro bowl.

the pro bowl is a popularity contest. i don't put too much weight into it. the fact that McCoy is going over Darby is a prime example of that.

Edited by 87168

Great coaches have great QBs, they don't create great QBs. Great QBs are born with exceptional mental skill and physical ability wrapped into a leader's mindset. Name a great coach and they'll have a great QB.

Does Rex have some warts, sure. Lots do if you watch enough. No one is perfect when the play clock is running. What masks lots of bad coaching is excellent QB play.

Ask yourself this.... is this a playoff team if the only thing you changed was you replaced TT with Tom Brady? If don't think Brady wins 3-4 more games even with this defense, you're delusional because that's exactly what he's done for years is win high scoring games with a bad defense. Why? Not because the offense is special because outside of Gronk, he's made his bones with some average WRs, RBs and often shoddy lines. but because he's a great QB. Belichek is a good coach, no doubt, but again, if the only thing this team changed was Belichek for Rex, how many wins would that get you? Sure as hell not 3-4 more with TT at QB.

No QB, no consistent winning. Doesn't matter who the coach is. Period.

Doug Whaley used the phrase "QB purgatory" to describe the Bills situation at QB before the season started. Now that the season is almost over, its fair to say the entire team is "mediocre" territory.

Whether fans want to accept it or not, Rex Ryan is an average NFL head coach. Like franchise QBs there are a handful of coaches in the NFL that are generally considered outstanding. (and they tend to have outstanding QBs). A coaching change is not likely to make a big difference.

Tyrod Taylor performed at an overall average level this season. He was actually above average on executing what he was asked to do, but below average in the sense that he was asked to do less than the better NFL QBs.

Special teams is below average. Function of coaching and personnel.

Offensive line is below average talent wise

Linebackers are below average talent wise

When healthy the secondary is above average. Unfortunately they don't seem to be stay healthy.

Defensive line is above average talent wise, when properly motivated.

Running backs are above average.

Wide receivers are average as a group.

Tight End play produced at a very pedestrian level this year.

There truly aren't glaring holes. But its hard to see how the team rises above the average level.

This a great post. My only changes:

LB's: Awful

DL: Yeah either motivation or scheme

RB's: To use your term: Unfortunately they don't seem to be stay healthy.

The defensive personnel is not average, not above average, not good, not even great, but elite.

LOL the 21st ranked D is elite???

IMO we have above average talent, below average coaching, and average QB play.

And what's even more frustrating is that we have more talent than last tear and this team is worse.

Tyrod > Orton

McCoy > Spiller

KW > Freddie (and I do like Freddie)

Incognito > than any LG we had

Darby > Leodis

Clay > Chandler

And yet Marrone and his little league OC got us closer to the playoffs than Rex and his SB OC

It is a fan fantasy that the talent is above average, let alone elite. One player, one, made the pro bowl.

That one player who made the pro bowl is because people take more notice of the players on winning teams. Buffalo Bills fans above all should know this fact. The undefeated Carolina Panthers have 10 players going to the PB

QB- rookie

RB-super star- pro bowl

WR 1 Star- needs to be more involved in the offense

WR 2 NEED

WR 3 average

WR 4 average

WR 5 below average

LT average

LG star- should have made pro bowl

C average

RG- sub par- NEED

RT- sub par NEED

TE- Star- needs to stay healthy and to be more involved in the offense.

LDE star

DT star

DT superstar

RDE star

SLB- average

MLB-sub par NEED

WLB- average

LCB Star

S- NEED

S-Star

RCB- star

Linebacker-Safety-RT-RG-#2 WR needs, and more for that line if the team lets LT Glenn, LG Incognito walk . JMO

IMO we have above average talent, below average coaching, and average QB play.

And what's even more frustrating is that we have more talent than last tear and this team is worse.

Tyrod > Orton

McCoy > Spiller

KW > Freddie (and I do like Freddie)

Incognito > than any LG we had

Darby > Leodis

Clay > Chandler

And yet Marrone and his little league OC got us closer to the playoffs than Rex and his SB OC

This is what kills me. We upgraded the offense significantly, and kept 99% of our defensive players.... Yet got worse as a team.

That's the Bills for you. No hope. No matter what.

The defensive personnel is not average, not above average, not good, not even great, but elite. Nothing has changed there since last season except they are now poorly coached. Best defensive line in all of football, and an excellent secondary. A little help at linebacker wouldn't hurt.

Elite on defense, average to above average on offense has our personnel looking good in my opinion. Gotta get better on the o line.

Agreed

This is what kills me. We upgraded the offense significantly, and kept 99% of our defensive players.... Yet got worse as a team.

That's the Bills for you. No hope. No matter what.

If you'd told me the following before the start of the season:

- Tyrod would be in the Top 5 in QB rating, and would have a 3:1 TD to INT ratio.

- McCoy would be averaging 100 yards/game in rushing + receiving

- Watkins would be averaging almost 19 yards per catch, on his way to a 1,000 yard season

- Clay would put up stats right in line with what he did in Miami

- Darby would outplay McKelvin, injury to McKelvin or not

Then I would have told you this was the year the planets finally aligned over Buffalo and we went to the playoffs.

[sigh.]