Takeways, another very telling Ryan statistic

maybe you got the placebo.

Its a trial run.

I think Rex is just great. love the guy.

so things did not go as planned. oh well.

always next year always next year

I'd love to invite Rex to my Super Bowl party. Fun guy! My problem is I'm almost positive he'll be available.

post-24435-0-53418400-1451180588_thumb.jpeg

In his last two years with the New York the Jets had a NFL record low number of turnovers for a two year period. No team in the modern era of the NFL had fewer takeaways in a two year period.

This year, the Bills experienced a significant decline in their takeaways. They were 3rd in the league in takeaways in 2014 and, thus far, have fallen to 18th in 2015. Watching the games this year that was obvious; my expectations for a big play to turn things around were very low as the season progressed, and the diminished number of turnovers was a big part of that.

The cornerstone philosophy of Ryan's defense is to disrupt and confuse offenses, so it would make sense that mistakes by the offense would be a big part of that, with significant big plays like takeaways and sacks. But the Bills regressed dramatically this year under Ryan in both areas.

(As we know, the Bills were #1 in the league in 2014 in sacks per game, with 3.4 per game, the best in the league, and they are 30th in the league in 2015, with 1.4 sacks per game.)

This team was stacked and they regressed in almost catastrophic ways in these two vital areas, ones that a disruptive defense like Ryan's should enhance, not destroy. The players comments now are merely more confirmation of what we have all seen--and what the statistics so clearly highlight.

Rex will go, I think, as the Pegulas aren't blind. They did not think this would happen-ever-under Ryan. Their first instincts on him were correct.

So, how are the Jets doing this year in takeaways, one season removed from Ryan as their coach? They have an average of 2 takeaways a game this year, which is third best in the NFL, up from .8 a game, and last, in 2014 under Rex Ryan.

The turnovers go hand in hand with pressuring the QB.

When QB's are under pressure they throw passes up for grabs or drop the football on contact.

The two biggest failings of Rex D in NY in recent years were giving up too many points and not getting takeaways.

Somewhere along the line he forgot the importance of HITTING the QB.

And what's amazing is that the so many outside NFL observers still think that Rex knows that hitting the QB is the name of the game on defense.

Within the league it is known that your QB should have plenty of time to go thru his progressions and figure out Rex D.

In some ways, this years Bills D has been better than his recent Jet's defenses........which is scary.

Nice shirt : )

the Browns are our direct competition in too many ways.

Took that pic at a bar in Cincinnati last weekend. His buddy had one with a picture of their stadium with smoke stacks added and the words "Factory of Sadness". I could relate. Poor Brownies. We kicked their arse in the owner department! There is hope.

Took that pic at a bar in Cincinnati last weekend. His buddy had one with a picture of their stadium with smoke stacks added and the words "Factory of Sadness". I could relate. Poor Brownies. We kicked their arse in the owner department! There is hope.

yes Augie, we do have that. Poor Brownies have no foundation yet.

we have a long term owner. now just fix the rest !

yes Augie, we do have that. Poor Brownies have no foundation yet.

we have a long term owner. now just fix the rest !

It's hard to recover from a bad owner. We WILL find our way, but I doubt it's with Rex. As much as he seems like a fun, likable guy, I just don't see him as anything beyond mediocre. I'd love to be wrong and eat crow, but I doubt that comes to pass.

It's hard to recover from a bad owner. We WILL find our way, but I doubt it's with Rex. As much as he seems like a fun, likable guy, I just don't see him as anything beyond mediocre. I'd love to be wrong and eat crow, but I doubt that comes to pass.

I am going to sit on the fence awhile.

Something aint right this year. But i wont pretend to know what all it is. We just see the poor results on the field.

I am a fan of the Offense even though its been slow to come around and had plenty of setbacks.

we shall see i suppose.

;)

I don't put much stock in 'takeaways' since half of them are just 'giveaways' by the offense (Murray's fumble last night is a good example). When you factor in guys muffing punts, dropping picks, hail mary INTs, tipped passes, etc., it's a number that varies widely year to year and IMO has little to do with coaching.