Mario Williams interview ( hard to disagree )

PO16FFS

I think the writing is on the wall on some of this stuff.

- Rex isnt going anywhere...u dont make that kind of investment in a HC and then can him in a year

- Mario probably IS getting cut or traded......but lets be real here. A player the level of Alex Carrington came in and gave the same level of production as Mario did. It can be replaced if that is all Mario is going to give us.

- It is time to start looking at how the players can be made to fit the scheme.

- We are in position to draft the top MLB of the draft according to most mocks.

- Move Preston Brown to a OLB position where he was more productive.

- Get that enforcer hard hitting safety.

- The corners are already in place (or then will be once Gilmore is signed)

- The QB pressure of a 3-4 does not come from the down linemen.....we need space eaters who push the pocket.....get a true nose....move Marcel to END

We do have some of the pieces for this.....it is in the linebacking core where we are lacking

Marcel to END? Now I've heard it all. The guy would definitely have to lose weight for that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you can fire Rex now and hire a coach who can run a system that fits the players strengths.... It would be the more logical move, but I doubt it happens.

Yes please!

A big part of changing coaches every year being a failure is that you are constantly chasing players for different schemes.

In this case, we would be chasing a coach for our existing players.

Agreed and agreed!

Alex gave the same level of production as Mario? In what world? This is why the average fan should sit out judging talent, especially on the DL. Mario has been one of the best in the league at setting the edge for the run and playing a run stuffing DE. Teams refused to run at Mario. The fact that there were errors on his side of the ball is because our LB's cant scrape to save their life.

Plus, all of Carrington's sacks... yep, all 0 of them match the pitiful 4 that Mario did get. Then, consider that Hughes leads the team with 5 sacks and easily consider that Mario could easily finish with more sacks than anyone and you have to take back your assessment of Mario.

I'm not saying he's all-pro this year but I say that many fans are taking a wide berth in evaluating his talent in consideration of just what his other Bills are doing.

Brown was not more productive as an SLB. He was more featured; meaning that he cleaned up what the DL left for him. It was the DL that made him look so good last year.

NT for a 34 is hard to find. Rookies cannot come in and contribute at NT and since Wilfork is the only true capable NT in the NFL, or was - we're not going to fare well looking for one.

...we are lacking a whole hell of a lot to get Rex Ryans system in place. And, I am not sure anyone knows where to start in acquiring talent. Being that Whaley chose to commit to positions that seemed to be less important to Ryans system was odd. We needed a better MLB and S. The suggestions or talent brought in for a look-see were pretty bad.

you describe Mario's proven talent and ability.

Not his play this season. And i watched him like a hawk. Very few times has he gotten any push.

which is why so many have turned on him.

I just wish he played harder this year.

The worst case scenario in my mind is to try to change this roster to fit Rex's scheme. How many years wasted trying to build a roster to fit different schemes only to have to reset when the coach is inevitably fired (Greggo's 46, Jauron's Tampa 2 etc etc etc) - with additional rebuild years on the back end. Especially when as discussed, Rex's scheme has been exposed by teams running hurrying up on offense. AND we already have the talent on the roster now that was a top defense a year ago.

As has also been discussed - if Rex for some reason is willing to do the sensible thing and run a defense to the strengths of the all-pro talent that helped make it a top defense in the league last year, then what is his real value add - since there are many others with better HC qualifications if you take away his defensive 'genius'

Agreed

True. Though sometimes it's tough to tell if you have a HOF coach after only one season, if not impossible.

I think it is extremely obvious after one season he is NOT a HOF HC!

What would you call it if we have to rebuild the defence to match Rex' scheme? Hint: BLOWING IT UP. I'd rather let Rex go and find a coach who, oh I don't know, coaches maybe. You get 2-3 maybe 4 years to keep a good group together and we wasted 1 already. If he stays we will rebuild/blow it up and probably won't be as good as what we have now, or had.

Yep!