Football Outsiders analyzes Bills vs. Skins (hint: MARIO)

Coach Tuesday

As I said in another thread, this is all very Ruben Brown-esque: highly unprofessional and no way to leave an organization + fanbase that have been very good to you. :thumbdown:Un

Does anyone really care about FANBASE? Get a life. They get drafted, they get paid and they frequently bounce from franchise to franchise.

Mario has been here long enough to smell the STANK!

Finally, Ive been criticial of Mario over the years. He is a player who disappears for 2-3 games only to show up with 2-3 sacks in another game and then once again sleepwalk for 2 more games.

For the Bills he usually has 5/6 good games per year which give him his 10 sacks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, if your read doesn't say "running play" as was the case on that play. If Mario doesn't read that correctly and runs upfield on a pass rush, that RB has the entire edge and an RT leading the way at the same time our pursuit is slow in getting there. That play would have been much worse if Mario hadn't done his job. It was run defense 101.

Just to re-iterate, I am not making a case for Mario Williams. I'm just saying F.O. didn't show a good example of him playing lazy on that play.

GO BILLS!!!

On that play, even if you read run, you gotta adjust. Just can't keep running up field....

That said, Mario made some good plays too. For example, on the cousins TD run, that was a shovel pass. Mario didnt over pursue and took out the RB. Unfortunately, nobody else bothered to tackle cousins.

On that play, even if you read run, you gotta adjust. Just can't keep running up field....

That said, Mario made some good plays too. For example, on the cousins TD run, that was a shovel pass. Mario didnt over pursue and took out the RB. Unfortunately, nobody else bothered to tackle cousins.

I'm not following you here. Mario's key on that play is the RT who showed run the entire time from the snap of the ball; perhaps even before, depending on what Mario was reading pre-snap. There was no "adjustment" to be made by Mario.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario has quit on the team and there is no defending that.

But I couldn't get past the first gif the author provides as proof. Mario did his job by setting the edge and turning the play into the pursuit. That was his responsibility on that play.

If Football Outsiders is going to ding Mario for lack of effort, and there are certainly many examples to draw from, they should choose a better play to illustrate the point. This makes me question their analytical ability.

GO BILLS!!!

There are 45 other plays that show the same thing. I focused on him too. I have the game taped too. It was a gutless, insubordinate performance all the way around. The pass rush on the Cousins bomb to Jackson to open the second half is as bad as it gets -- absolutely zero effort. Edited by dave mcbride

I'm still not sure why Rex doesn't put him on the bench. Make him inactive. The guys acting like a kitty.

I completely agree. We're out. He should be a healthy scratch this week and next.

Also, Mario stood up when Cousins was flushed out at the 17, and stayed standing as Cousins ran past him.

It's as if he has a three second play clock in his head. He'll do his job and only his job for those three seconds, then after that it's up to everyone else.

I completely agree. We're out. He should be a healthy scratch this week and next.

Also, Mario stood up when Cousins was flushed out at the 17, and stayed standing as Cousins ran past him.

It's as if he has a three second play clock in his head. He'll do his job and only his job for those three seconds, then after that it's up to everyone else.

How do you feel about Rex's praise of saying he'd want him back next year instead of saying that effort was an issue last week?

How do you feel about Rex's praise of saying he'd want him back next year instead of saying that effort was an issue last week?

I think Rex tells lies when he's in front of the microphone. And that Bills fans should really come to understand that and not take it personally. I don't think everything he says is a lie. But it's quite clear he doesn't handle his business to the media.

ever since Rex told the ny media last year that he believed geno would be a very good QB in the league someday, I haven't really put any stock into what he says publically.

I think Rex tells lies when he's in front of the microphone. And that Bills fans should really come to understand that and not take it personally. I don't think everything he says is a lie. But it's quite clear he doesn't handle his business to the media.

I settled on "empty promises" because I didn't want to call Rex a liar, but you're right, he lies in front of a mike.

This is good analysis and confirms what many have suspected. Mario is unhappy and he's not putting forth effort on the field as a result. I think Ryan's scheme is trash, but I also think Mario is a baby for selling out like this. Sorry man, you were great with us for a couple years under Schwartz. But this effort is atrocious and makes me embarrassed as a fan of the team.

Mario has quit on the team and there is no defending that.

But I couldn't get past the first gif the author provides as proof. Mario did his job by setting the edge and turning the play into the pursuit. That was his responsibility on that play.

If Football Outsiders is going to ding Mario for lack of effort, and there are certainly many examples to draw from, they should choose a better play to illustrate the point. This makes me question their analytical ability.

GO BILLS!!!

There's setting the edge, and theres loafing into the running lane. If the back decides to take it outside - does anyone have confidence in mario making the tackle?

Sure, if your read doesn't say "running play" as was the case on that play. If Mario doesn't read that correctly and runs upfield on a pass rush, that RB has the entire edge and an RT leading the way at the same time our pursuit is slow in getting there. That play would have been much worse if Mario hadn't done his job. It was run defense 101.

Just to re-iterate, I am not making a case for Mario Williams. I'm just saying F.O. didn't show a good example of him playing lazy on that play.

GO BILLS!!!

fans are stupid. they think its high school. DE's on run downs have to contain the tackle while others make the tackle. While one can easily argue we are paying mario too much to just 'set the edge', that is what the defense asks him to do. So we will cut him. no big deal. he was overpaid during the death watch Ralph era where we couldn't get any top coaches FAs to even think about coming to a franchise about to be blown up (and they were right to stay away, other than Mario, who got paid to come, because they did blow it up).

It's all good, its part of having blown up the thing; many of the player/salaries don't make sense anymore. Mario is example #1. He is a power rushing, hand in dirt DE made into just one little cog in the Rex defensive wheel. Rex took the teeth out of him, and he has e every right to be pissed. you don't pay $20m for that. So cut him and be done with it. no big deal. take a 5m guy and do same thing with him. Rex just needs basic thinking talent that can communicate fast and do what they are told... don't need $20m guys . Rex is a scheme guy , not a pro bowl player guy. the scheme and the play call stop the offense , not any one player; the typical fan wants big splash plays by one guy.. Rex's defense forces boring passes out of bounds or in the ground. no entertainment with that... so the average dumb fan is pissed. I have no tolerance for fans.

does Rex need different players, sure, and he will get them, but don't blame him , his scheme is proven, look at the Ravens, Jets, etc. those Defense were great. .

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

There's setting the edge, and theres loafing into the running lane. If the back decides to take it outside - does anyone have confidence in mario making the tackle?

So is it your contention that Mario was "loafing into the running lane?" He did his job as designed and F.O. made an error in using this play to illustrate their point. Especially when there were so many other plays to choose from.

We will never know what would have happened if the RB took it to the outside. But since we are dealing in conjecture, I'm gonna go ahead and say not only would Mario not have made the tackle, he would have joined the RT as a blocker to help clear the way.

GO BILLS!!!

I was talking about the shotgun play-- the second gif.

Ah, OK. I had only been referencing the first gif as a poor example to illustrate Mario's poor play.

The 2nd gif is a good example of his poor effort, imo.

GO BILLS!!!

While he's likely only here a couple more games, lets not forget what a specimen he is. One analysis ranks 2nd most athletic at combine. Crazy good numbers for a 300 LB guy.

Mario Williams, defensive end, North Carolina State (67, 295 pounds)

40-yard dash: 4.70 (expected: 5.07)

10-yard split: 1.60 (expected: 1.73)

Bench press reps: 35 (expected: 22)

Vertical leap: 40.5 (expected: 30)

Broad jump: 100 (expected: 90)

Short shuttle: 4.37 (expected: 4.63)

Three-cone: 7.21 (expected 7.58)

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/nfl-combine-review-eight-athletic-players-combine-history.html

Edited by JTSP