Football Outsiders analyzes Bills vs. Skins (hint: MARIO)

Coach Tuesday

Enjoy:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2015/any-given-sunday-redskins-over-bills

"In a different era and sport, you might have wondered if Williams was shaving points, engaging just enough to avoid drawing eyebrows on a crowded field where it's possible to avoid scrutiny."

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario has quit on the team and there is no defending that.

But I couldn't get past the first gif the author provides as proof. Mario did his job by setting the edge and turning the play into the pursuit. That was his responsibility on that play.

If Football Outsiders is going to ding Mario for lack of effort, and there are certainly many examples to draw from, they should choose a better play to illustrate the point. This makes me question their analytical ability.

GO BILLS!!!

I noticed this during the game, but I feel like it proves too little.

I feel like this whole "setting the edge" business is what Mario may be trying to do here, while there appears to be stunting, rushing guys in the middle.

There was no stunting on the running play FO used to illustrate Mario's lazy play in the first gif. At first blush, it appears Lawson was way late and couldn't shed. Regardless, Mario had outside contain and did his job.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario has quit on the team and there is no defending that.

But I couldn't get past the first gif the author provides as proof. Mario did his job by setting the edge and turning the play into the pursuit. That was his responsibility on that play.

If Football Outsiders is going to ding Mario for lack of effort, and there are certainly many examples to draw from, they should choose a better play to illustrate the point. This makes me question their analytical ability.

GO BILLS!!!

"You could argue here that Williams is trying to set the edge, and you need multiple angles to establish that he's not trying here, so don't be convinced yet. Take a look now at a second-quarter play where Williams is rushing the passer"

They address that. They may have had more evidence but didn't want to flood the article

There was no stunting on the running play FO used to illustrate Mario's lazy play in the first gif. At first blush, it appears Lawson was way late and couldn't shed. Regardless, Mario had outside contain and did his job.

GO BILLS!!!

You gotta wonder: shouldn't our edge rushers be rushing and not just setting the edge all the time?

This has the sounds of "fitting it up."

I have defended Mario throughout the time he has been with the Bills (ever since the media started complaining about him having his own refrigerator).

I also defended Saint Doug until he quit.

What Saint Doug did and what Mario has done this year is the same: they both quit on my team and still got paid millions.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

You gotta wonder: shouldn't our edge rushers be rushing and not just setting the edge all the time?

This has the sounds of "fitting it up."

Sure, if your read doesn't say "running play" as was the case on that play. If Mario doesn't read that correctly and runs upfield on a pass rush, that RB has the entire edge and an RT leading the way at the same time our pursuit is slow in getting there. That play would have been much worse if Mario hadn't done his job. It was run defense 101.

Just to re-iterate, I am not making a case for Mario Williams. I'm just saying F.O. didn't show a good example of him playing lazy on that play.

GO BILLS!!!

Sure, if your read doesn't say "running play" as was the case on that play. If Mario doesn't read that correctly and runs upfield on a pass rush, that RB has the entire edge and an RT leading the way at the same time our pursuit is slow in getting there. That play would have been much worse if Mario hadn't done his job. It was run defense 101.

Just to re-iterate, I am not making a case for Mario Williams. I'm just saying F.O. didn't show a good example of him playing lazy on that play.

GO BILLS!!!

I approach it from a different angle

If ALL we are going to get from Mario is setting the edge....this can be done with a much less expensive player. We are playing Mario because is is a do it all guy.....except he isnt.

That is why Mario is gone......you pay a DL less to play that spot and not put up 10 sacks....and you move that money to the linebacking core so you can improve your pass rush

I approach it from a different angle

If ALL we are going to get from Mario is setting the edge....this can be done with a much less expensive player. We are playing Mario because is is a do it all guy.....except he isnt.

That is why Mario is gone......you pay a DL less to play that spot and not put up 10 sacks....and you move that money to the linebacking core so you can improve your pass rush

I don't disagree at all, so I will say it again, for the third time:

I'm not defending Mario. Simply pointing out that Football Outsiders tried to use a play he defended correctly as an example of his poor play. They were wrong.

Mario mailed it in this year and has to go as a result. It's that simple and I get that.

But he had two All Pro years out of the four he was here, regardless. Because he was that all around DE you mentioned. He was our best defensive player at one time.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario Williams played up to his contact, at its time the richest in NFL history, each of his first three years under three different coordinators. He singlehandedly gave the team and this city respect.

In my view its an indictment on Rex that Rex did not get more from Mario. Rex is the only coach to not get the best out of Mario.

Mario Williams played up to his contact, at its time the richest in NFL history, each of his first three years under three different coordinators. He singlehandedly gave the team and this city respect.

In my view its an indictment on Rex that Rex did not get more from Mario. Rex is the only coach to not get the best out of Mario.

I agree that Mario was outstanding for his first three years and under three different coordinators as you pointed out.

But scheme or not, Rex or not, he flat out quit on this team because he didn't like it and he pouted. He checked out, went into self-preservation mode, and coasted in games.

GO BILLS!!!

there is accountability to be had on both sides

GO BILLS!!!

Recall the board roasting him for getting up field a few weeks ago and the back getting out clean as the clear counterpoint to the "he should always get upfield"

There's a balance. If Mario has slacked and its seeming clear he has pitched some onfield passive aggressive fits lately.... I don't know how anyone argues that it absolves Rex from blame like some have recently. Either Rex has lost control/never had it, or Rex is scheming/play calling terribly.

Seems both lately.