Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY and I mean only knock on Polian's career is that he left a talent deficient squad in Indi. Now that might have been because he had taken his eye off the ball and left Jnr in charge of drafting but you saw once Peyton went down - there was very little left on that team except a bunch of past it old guys. I am not in favour of the czar idea - I think you either believe Doug Whaley can run your football operation and you let him or you don't and you fire him - I am in the first camp I know others are in the second. But if you are going to listen to someone about how you go about building a winning football operation there are few better to listen to than Bill Polian.

His advice would, however, I suspect be what we all know "you gotta have a Quarterback." From his comments he doesn't think we have one yet. I think the jury is still out on that.

I would throw in as a weakness, his apparent tendency to favor smallish defenses that rush the passer, but can be bullied around by physical offenses.

IMO this is all Pegs fault. Having a non-football brain(Terry) being advised by several other non-football brains(Kim, Brandon) on big football decisions(HC hire) is really just a rich kid playing with his billion dollar toy.

Why get a Czar? Surely your GM is paid to be able to make the big football decisions. If you don't trust that he can, you need to fire him and get in somebody who you can trust. As long as Pegs wants to be hands on in the football decisions I feel we will be relying on luck rather than ability to build a good team.

I am a Bills fan. This means that if I owned any of the other 31 teams I would have a great time playing with my billion dollar toy. But as a Bills fan, if I owned the Bills.....there is no way that I would tinker with the football operations. I would pay the best people to do the job....and if they failed, I would attempt to find the best people to replace them. I would let the General Manager do his job and manage the team.

Dibs,

What is so awful about the idea of bringing in another football mind for the GM to report to? Not being a football guy, Pegula may not know whether Whaley can be trusted to build the team or not. So if he can find someone he does trust to make a better decision for him, I hardly see the harm in this.

Whaley has an eye for talent, he's not afraid to be bold and he has a lot of good ideas, but is lacking somewhat in experience. I think Whaley with another football mind above him to filter his ideas for him could be a winning formula.

Pegula seems to have chosen the path here with Brandon-Whaley-Rex. I would rather nothing changes and we see if this boat sinks or swims in 2016 and 2017. If the thing is spinning its tires for any reason... then a new path must be taken. Then bring in the man to install at the top of the Football department and allow him to build the program from the top down. I want a sustainable winning football program (AKA what the Bills have never been save for a blip in the late 80s/early 90s).

Partial changes, half-assed things only buy time for all the others. This is only "Whaleys 1st year", "Brandons 1st as ultimate president", "Buddy needs to build the squad", "Marrone's 1st year", etc.... its a long line of this. Let these guys see if they can do it. That is the direction Pegula chose (which I disagreed with), but it must be seen through at this point.

Pegula seems to have chosen the path here with Brandon-Whaley-Rex. I would rather nothing changes and we see if this boat sinks or swims in 2016 and 2017. If the thing is spinning its tires for any reason... then a new path must be taken. Then bring in the man to install at the top of the Football department and allow him to build the program from the top down. I want a sustainable winning football program (AKA what the Bills have never been save for a blip in the late 80s/early 90s).

Partial changes, half-assed things only buy time for all the others. This is only "Whaleys 1st year", "Brandons 1st as ultimate president", "Buddy needs to build the squad", "Marrone's 1st year", etc.... its a long line of this. Let these guys see if they can do it. That is the direction Pegula chose (which I disagreed with), but it must be seen through at this point.

We need to see it through one more year. If the team is a dumpster fire next year, anything is possible at this point, then wholesale changes are in order. This is actually what Terry and Kim did with the Sabres. They kept the status quo for two years before they made an overhaul when it became apparent that the old guard couldn't cut it even with the new money infusion. And just because it didn't work with the Sabres until the overhaul does not at all mean that the same thing will happen.

This guy Joe Chenelly has a source somewhere at OBD. He's had some info in the past. Fwiw:

@jchenelly: Current GM Doug Whaley will need to accept a lesser role w/ the #Bills if he is to remain with the team at all. There will be a new chief.

@Nagle_23: @jchenelly where you getting this info from

@jchenelly: @Nagle_23 Personal friend who is in the know and OK with me sharing, as has been the case for about a year.

@nickellion79: @MikeSilver @RaiderBounty @Na_Na_Nesci @JeremyWGR Mike any chance you think they realize they made a mistake with Rex?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Yes. But the person who will decide Rex Ryan's fate is not yet working for the team. #Bills

@nickellion79: @jchenelly Joe you are always well connected. What is going on at OBD right now?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 A lot of disappointment. There may be some trigger-happy folks after today's game.

:lol: :lol: