Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

And what would this President of Footbal Operations do? If he's over seeing Whaley(or whoevers GM), does he make decisions on drafts/pro player personnel?

Mike Holmgram was team president for the Browns for 2 years and that did basically nothing for the Browns. I just don't get the idea of it.

Holmgren is a good mention wrt a "cure-all czar". Holmgren was a total zero.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the way that Rex embraced the community and our history. I was fine with hiring Rex, in part because I thought he would be able to assemble an excellent coaching staff and run a great defense. I think he wants to win here for all of the right reasons, but this has been a very disappointing season, and maybe the worst part of it is happening now with all of the speculation about internal disagreements and player dissatisfaction.

It has been 16 years of not making the playoffs. Something is not right with this team and the front office, and while there would be huge short term damage to the reputation of the franchise and interest in players wanting to come here, hiring a czar and/or a new GM and a new head coach may be best for the long-term interests and prospects of the franchise.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Good post!

I go that far. On D, taking a top-5 D to what we have now is indeed a "disaster"

I agree, did Mario Williams, Darius, Brown and Bradham all suddenly become bad? Or is it the scheme? Our biggest issue going into the season was QB, Taylor's play, although not perfect exceeded my expectations. If you had been told before the season that this team would score more than 20 points in the majority of games how many games would you have though they'd win? This is on Rex and on Pegula for falling for Rex.

My point is simple. Although Doug Marrone was unlikable he was a better coach than the more likable current coach. The bottom line is it is about the bottom line. Without any hesitation I would take the former dour coach over the present loquacious coach.

I think my point is that I don't want either of them. The Bills can and should do better.

Well Brandon is still with the team and he was the guy who said about Rex "Don't let him leave the building". So I won't say they are stupid but extremely gulliable allowing one used car salesmen to sell them on another.

Whaley has problems with Impulse control. When he likes someone he dramatically OVER VALUES them and will dramatically overspend for them.

Besides Sammy when has this happened? And please don't say Shady because we didn't over spend on him.

I dont think he would, because I dont think it would ever have gotten this far with a coach like Belichick in charge. It would have been fixed and put to bed weeks ago.

You're right. He'd already have cut him. There is no way Belichick puts up with a DL leading an insurrection on his team. (That was the scenario laid out. Not one of constructive dialogue.)

The above is beyond dispute and there are now countless examples.

Someone said in another thread that Bills Fans tend to get behind and blindly support someone who doesn't completely suck. Well I have seen this many, many times and that is Whaley imo. He IS bad but he doesn't 100%, totally suck like Rex.

Either way, if they get rid if Whaley I will either not care or be slightly glad.

Again, jmo.

What are the "countless examples"?

The Bills desperately need someone from the outside to come in and fix this. The organization is broken. 16 years of no playoffs, with a coach who has a huge deal and high-paid players chirping at him through the media. We have obvious pushing of agendas from the FO in the media. It isnt going to get better like this. Its going to hit the rocks

I feel like the Bills are stuck in the stone age and someone needs to bring them into the times.

Casserly and/or Wolf would have been good. Someone who is smart, knows the current NFL, well respected, has a lot of contacts, and has been involved in winning. TBH if its a challenge he would be interested in, Bill Cowher might be good.

Or maybe someone like Polian. Pay him, waltzes in, fixes the thing, and steps out, allowing the GM to run the show.

i have to agree and it seems the Pegulas do as well.

And what would this President of Football Operations do? If he's over seeing Whaley(or whoevers GM), does he make decisions on drafts/pro player personnel?

Mike Holmgram was team president for the Browns for 2 years and that did basically nothing for the Browns. I just don't get the idea of it.

He'll have final say on everything I imagine...

Look...I get that this kind of thing has mixed results in the past...But who the hell cares what Holmgren did in Cleveland? What does that have to do with what Pegs may or may not do? It sounds like Pegula wants to bring in a proven guy to run the Football Operation and have final say over everything... Who knows if it will work or not?...But it won't have anything to do with Holmgren or any other "czar..." It will all depend on whether or not the decisions made by this guy work or not... B-)

Targeted more. Awesome. How do his numbers compare to Scott? You don't win games with targets, but completions and yards and TD's.

It's all relative. This offense doesn't pass a whole lot. But I guess anything to fit your narrative. You're not nearly as intelligent as you think yourself.

Marrone left on his own volition so it is futile to discuss his departure. But what I will say about him and believe it is a fair analysis about his tenure is that he did more with less talent than Rex who did less with more talent.

DM made a very early unfavorable assessment on EJ that proved to be right. He also made an early unfavorable assessment on Kujo that also proved to be right. On those two players both coaches agreed with each other. I bring up these two players because DM was skewered for not giving these players enough opportunity. In the end what he saw in each player materialized.

It's difficult to make a fair judgment on a two year coaching stint. However, Doug Marrone took over a team that was in a rebuild mode. In his first year the team won 4 games. The next year the team won 9 games (some say 8) even though their offense was far from being adequately staffed, especially on the OL and at qb.

Doug Marrone was a tough coach. He strictly held the players accountable. A lot of players didn't like him for his tough stance. But they always played hard for him. Compare that to what is going on now. Especially on defense this is a fractured team, a team that is in a free fall.

My point is simple. Although Doug Marrone was unlikable he was a better coach than the more likable current coach. The bottom line is it is about the bottom line. Without any hesitation I would take the former dour coach over the present loquacious coach.

100% correct.

Look...I get that this kind of thing has mixed results in the past...But who the hell cares what Holmgren did in Cleveland? What does that have to do with what Pegs may or may not do? It sounds like Pegula wants to bring in a proven guy to run the Football Operation and have final say over everything... Who knows if it will work or not?...But it won't have anything to do with Holmgren or any other "czar..." It will all depend on whether or not the decisions made by this guy work or not... B-)

This actually happened recently with the Buffalo Sabres. Pegula hired Pat Lafontaine as hockey czar. Lafontaine then hired a GM in Tim Murray. Soon Lafontaine quit.

It now appears that the this extra layer created by Pegula was nonsense and would only have led to a very unhappy ending. Lafontaine wanted to try to fight for wins and resign an aging Miller. Pegula was saved by the fact that the GM that was hired put his foot down and demanded he be in charge.

This actually happened recently with the Buffalo Sabres. Pegula hired Pat Lafontaine as hockey czar. Lafontaine then hired a GM in Tim Murray. Soon Lafontaine quit.

It now appears that the this extra layer created by Pegula was nonsense and would only have led to a very unhappy ending. Lafontaine wanted to try to fight for wins and resign an aging Miller. Pegula was saved by the fact that the GM that was hired put his foot down and demanded he be in charge.

Right...I know all that...

Maybe I should restate my position...

However Pegs decides to do this thing, as long as it results in Rex getting the boot, I'm 100% on board... B-)

Of course it will depend on the decisions made by this guy.

But what makes this guy qualified? Are we talking dinosaurs like Casserly or Polian? I don't mind the idea of consultants. The Pegulas should have used ta consultant in the coach hiring process instead they went with their gut.

I just think if you are going to hire a Czar he might as well be your GM, if he knows so much about football.

Right...I know all that...

Maybe I should restate my position...

However Pegs decides to do this thing, as long as it results in Rex getting the boot, I'm 100% on board... B-)

Well, be careful what you wish for. Bill Polian would have been a disaster! That would have set us back for many years with his son running the draft.

Pat Lafontaine was a very bad idea as well.

I like the Pegulas. But they are human and their first two czar ideas were a cure that would have killed the patient.