Rex Ryan Being Objective

Mikie2times

You can measure yards, yards a play, sacks, passer rating, it doesn't matter how complex the formula, the only one that matters is points and in the defenses case, points allowed. This is how Rex lead defenses have ranked in points allowed since 2011.

2015- 16th

2014- 24th

2013- 19th

2012- 20th

2011- 20th

Rex has a combined record as a head coach of 32-46 in the last 5 years. He has not posted a winning season in 5 consecutive years.

I know the only way for me to find balance and hope that the next 2-3 years of my fandom aren't ruined is in chalking this year up to a new scheme. Feeling as though our players will "get it". That Rex really is this special mind and once we get a few more "3-4" guys we will turn the corner. The truth is I feel like I'm lying to myself. Where is the basis for this hope?

Rex was good with multiple hall of fame players at Baltimore. Then Rex had his success with the Jets those first two years. Rex has a famous last name associated with defensive greatness. He captures the national medias attention which allows him to always stay relevant. This reinforces his defensive guru status as a result of the previously mentioned reasons. That is the Rex loop that the hope of a better future is based off of. So the question becomes how much of the Baltimore period and the Jets AFC championship runs were Rex? If the answer is a lot, the next question becomes, how much has the game changed? Is what Rex is used to doing being offset by rule changes and changing offensive philosophies? What Rex is doing, for going on a half decade, is not working and the objective information showed that pretty clearly prior to his hiring. The more I type, the more frustrated I'm getting at the front office for this hire. They got sold. Sure, so did we, but it's not our jobs to make these decisions and with the roster/system fit on top of it it's just hard to see why they bought. Horrible decision by the Pegula's and all involved.

Edited by KzooMike

You can measure yards, yards a play, sacks, passer rating, it doesn't matter how complex the formula, the only one that matters is points and in the defenses case, points allowed. This is how Rex lead defenses have ranked in points allowed since 2011.

2015- 16th

2014- 24th

2013- 19th

2012- 20th

2011- 20th

Rex has a combined record as a head coach of 32-46 in the last 5 years. He has not posted a winning season in 5 consecutive years.

I know the only way for me to find balance and hope that the next 2-3 years of my fandom aren't ruined is in chalking this year up to a new scheme. Feeling as though our players will "get it". That Rex really is this special mind and once we get a few more "3-4" guys we will turn the corner. The truth is I feel like I'm lying to myself. Where is the basis for this hope?

Rex was good with multiple hall of fame players at Baltimore. Then Rex had his success with the Jets those first two years. Rex has a famous last name associated with defensive greatness. He captures the national medias attention which allows him to always stay relevant. This reinforces his defensive guru status as a result of the previously mentioned reasons. That is the Rex loop that the hope of a better future is based off of. So the question becomes how much of the Baltimore period and the Jets AFC championship runs were Rex? If the answer is a lot, the next question becomes, how much has the game changed? Is what Rex is used to doing being offset by rule changes and changing offensive philosophies? What Rex is doing, for going on a half decade, is not working and the objective information showed that pretty clearly prior to his hiring. The more I type, the more frustrated I'm getting at the front office for this hire. They got sold. Sure, so did we, but it's not our jobs to make these decisions and with the roster/system fit on top of it it's just hard to see why they bought. Horrible decision by the Pegula's and all involved.

This is starting to become a popular topic. Glad I was ahead of the curve on this...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/178856-the-defense-hype-vs-stats/?hl=hype

This one was posted earlier today.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183834-rex-ryan-defenses-and-points-allowed/

2015- 16th

2014- 24th

2013- 19th

2012- 20th

2011- 20th

You're totally right.

Interviewing is a whole different skill from being good at your job. Rex Ryan is good at interviewing. I think the Pegulas were looking to be "blown away in the room" and Ryan is probably the most charismatic coach in the NFL. They were suckered by a snail oil salesman.

No one here was wanting Rex before the hire. Like most people I viewed him as a clown when he was with the Jets. We owned them the last 3 meetings prior to this year.

Maybe the hire wouldn't have happened if they were successful in bringing in Polian as the Czar. Maybe Polian would've smoothed things over with Marrone and been able to bring in a real OC. In that scenario we probably are starting Cassel and EJ throughout the year and it's hard to imagine those guys having success. We would have had other problems than we have now.

BUT...

This is somewhat of a hindsight 20/20 thing. We would have been better off in 2015 by staying the course, but we probably will not be better in 2016 by changing course again. This unfortunately became a year of growing pains. Defense will improve when personnel/coaching philosophy are more aligned.

You're totally right.

Interviewing is a whole different skill from being good at your job. Rex Ryan is good at interviewing. I think the Pegulas were looking to be "blown away in the room" and Ryan is probably the most charismatic coach in the NFL. They were suckered by a snail oil salesman.

No one here was wanting Rex before the hire. Like most people I viewed him as a clown when he was with the Jets. We owned them the last 3 meetings prior to this year.

Maybe the hire wouldn't have happened if they were successful in bringing in Polian as the Czar. Maybe Polian would've smoothed things over with Marrone and been able to bring in a real OC. In that scenario we probably are starting Cassel and EJ throughout the year and it's hard to imagine those guys having success. We would have had other problems than we have now.

BUT...

This is somewhat of a hindsight 20/20 thing. We would have been better off in 2015 by staying the course, but we probably will not be better in 2016 by changing course again. This unfortunately became a year of growing pains. Defense will improve when personnel/coaching philosophy are more aligned.

the great What IF we had named Hue Jackson HC and maybe kept Shwartz as DC. Tough to say if we'd be better or worse than we are now, one would think better but not sure as without Rex not sure we'd go after Incognito or landed McCoy or TT and most likely not paid Clay as think Roman played a big part in that.

the great What IF we had named Hue Jackson HC and maybe kept Shwartz as DC. Tough to say if we'd be better or worse than we are now, one would think better but not sure as without Rex not sure we'd go after Incognito or landed McCoy or TT and most likely not paid Clay as think Roman played a big part in that.

That's the other part. All speculation, but no Rex and I don't think we get Richie or Tyrod, no Roman and I don't think we get Clay.

That's the other part. All speculation, but no Rex and I don't think we get Richie or Tyrod, no Roman and I don't think we get Clay.

And with all those guys we are 6-8, and headed no where so who really cares. Maybe it would've been better not to have Tyrod and bottom out a year and draft a good QB prospect.

That's the funny hing about this playoff drought, we've been just good enough to miss out on a lot of top tier QB's. 1 less win in 2011 and we have Cam. Oh well. I'm thinking long term........we need a QB.

I'm old and this is the first time I have EVER thought of just taking a break from the Bills. Christmas this year is full of jerseys and insulated cups and other assorted garbage I don't want to be in the same room with. Thanks Coach Windbag. I wish you a good life, away from my Bills.

This is starting to become a popular topic. Glad I was ahead of the curve on this...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/178856-the-defense-hype-vs-stats/?hl=hype

This one was posted earlier today.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183834-rex-ryan-defenses-and-points-allowed/

Hey, me too!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/182437-fat-rex-skinny-rex/?hl=skinny

(And I like my angle on it. Just sayin')